follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
LOLing at the guys on the370z.com

I went over to the370z.com to see what some of the Z guys thought about the FRS/BRZ/86 and mannnnnnnn...

Almost everyone is like, this car is gonna flop because it doesn't have a turbo or AWD. Somebody even had the audacity of saying it couldn't keep up with some grandmama in a V6 Accord...

Now, I don't want to incite hate or anything...But those 370z guys, bless their hearts, did not once mention handling, or fit and finish, or the awesome (estimated) price. And I really am scared that regular people (Non-Enthusiast, Non-Aware people) are going to look at a spec list, just like these guys, and be like, "Well, this car is dumb".

Some people will say to that, "Oh that's good! These rabble-rousers don't deserve to have "'Pure Handling Delight'", only us enthusiasts do!" But, the thing is, I want EVERYONE to experience the AS1 (is that right?) and become enthusiasts. That way, Toyota sells tons of AS1s and then realizes, "Hai! We have indeed changed the market! HAI! We must continue and create more amazing cars! Next--A Supra, then new Celica GT4! HAI!" (Sorry if that was a bit racist) and then we can live through another generation like the 60's, or the 80-90's, with a whole army of legendary cars being produced by the Rising Sun.

I want a Japanese Automobile Rennaisance following the AS1, but I'm afraid people will be too stubborn, disinterested, or even ignorant to join our cause.

My $0.02. I'm still getting one, of course!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think as more indepth test drive reviews are done, people will learn what this car is really all about and so I totally agree with your line of thinking, except I want everyone to get one after me
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well that is how the average motorist thinks. I don't think it is limited to the 370z forum, it is probably the same wherever you will look.

Just look at the people you see in your daily commute. I see plenty of people driving cars aggressively but when it comes to a turn they drive like a granny then floor it once they are out of the turn. To the average person who doesn't visit the track straight line speed and style are all that matter. And most of them don't even use the full potential of their cars so they only have a spec sheet to boast about.

I think this turned into a rant but what I am trying to say is for the average person numbers on paper and a pretty picture are all that matter.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
I think as more indepth test drive reviews are done, people will learn what this car is really all about and so I totally agree with your line of thinking, except I want everyone to get one after me
Of course! I'm picking mine up mine release day! Rain or shine! Hopefully rain so I can't test out it's superior balance!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There are a few things going on here:

*370Z's have more power, which automatically introduces a Freudian complex to both sides
*Different brands have their own fan bois, so now loyalty and prejudice are in the mix
*People are competitive, emotional, and defensive of their social decisions, including purchases. Saying that something else can be good or [gasp] better than their choice elicits a negative emotional reaction. It takes a whiff of intelligence to be able to appreciate someone elses preference without emotion.

The 370Z is a good car. It's ironic that its enthusiasts are bashing the FT-86 for its lack of turbo and/or AWD.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
Well that is how the average motorist thinks. I don't think it is limited to the 370z forum, it is probably the same wherever you will look.

Just look at the people you see in your daily commute. I see plenty of people driving cars aggressively but when it comes to a turn they drive like a granny then floor it once they are out of the turn. To the average person who doesn't visit the track straight line speed and style are all that matter. And most of them don't even use the full potential of their cars so they only have a spec sheet to boast about.

I think this turned into a rant but what I am trying to say is for the average person numbers on paper and a pretty picture are all that matter.
That's what makes me sad...
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Just look at the people you see in your daily commute. I see plenty of people driving cars aggressively but when it comes to a turn they drive like a granny then floor it once they are out of the turn.
Yes this is tragically true. In my daily commute, people FREAK OUT when they see a gentle curve in the middle of an Interstate. Of course, since drivers training never provides any education whatsoever regarding vehicle handling or competent driver skills, it's no surprise people panic when they see something they don't understand [corners, on ramps, yield signs, etc.]
Old 12-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
much more different feeling than from i get from the r3vlimited and s2ki crowd.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Yes this is tragically true. In my daily commute, people FREAK OUT when they see a gentle curve in the middle of an Interstate. Of course, since drivers training never provides any education whatsoever regarding vehicle handling or competent driver skills, it's no surprise people panic when they see something they don't understand [corners, on ramps, yield signs, etc.]
We should start up the FT-86 Club Driving school! We can train them in FRS/BRZ/86s and then if they pass, they go up to BRZ STi/TRD 86s, and then if they pass that, they have to beat either HachiRoku, FT-MH, Giccin, or WingsOfWar in a circuit battle.

Everyone would be so well prepared for real life!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Harinjo

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
300zx drivers go to 350z go to 370z

240sx drivers go to... there is nothing but 86
Old 12-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
much more different feeling than from i get from the r3vlimited and s2ki crowd.
Maybe i'm generalizing? Perhaps I should research in a few other crowds to get a good feel for what everyone thinks.

Are there any forums that would have fairly unbiased, maybe even un-knowledgeable people who still like cars.

*cough* Jalopnik *cough* But that's not a forum....
Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
Yenadar
Rotorhead

Drives: 2005 WWP RX-8
Quote:
I don't think it is limited to the 370z forum, it is probably the same wherever you will look.
Not RX-8Club.com.

We largely like it. But then, it has the same "drawbacks" and "benefits" that we do

It was humorous to plenty of us though, to see some of our members bashing it for "low torque"

But, to the comments on trying to educate people... that's our whole fight. It's an uphill battle that never levels off. Most people will always be paper numbers driven, and want to brag about it on the phone or computer while it sits unused in the driveway.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Over time, enthusiast cars became about accessible performance for the everyman - fast in a straight line. If it happened to handle well, that's gravy. If your car is poorly equipped, or you aren't skilled enough to handle a road course, auto-x might better suit you. If you can't turn at all, there's always drag racing. If you can't launch to save your life, there's highway runs from a roll. And if that's too dangerous for you, you can always throw money at a shop to build you a dyno queen. Don't even get me started on drifting - the automotive equivalent of figure skating.

The hopes that this car will handle well mean nothing to most people, because given the opportunity, they'd display their best Nick Hogan impression, and neatly fold themselves around the nearest standing light fixture. You don't need a massive amount of horsepower to be an unskilled moron, myself included. If a majority of people don't get it, that might be a good thing. The kind of person that wants to become an enthusiast won't be put off by the numbers game. Looking for would-be AS1 enthusiasts among a forum of "competitive" car owners is probably going to prove next to fruitless.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Every car will not be loved by everyone. I am sure most of you guys on here hate the 370Z because its not under 2800 lbs. Anything over that weight is a big mistake to you guys and I am not talking about you specifically OP.

Closed Thread