follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2022, 12:01 AM   #43
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
last saturday, i was making my normal hardware store run.. leaving a light, i do what i normally do, rev out 1st. just as i'm shifting to 2nd with the motor screaming, i see a cop metering my lane of traffic. i tense up for a second and check my speed... 25 in a 35... it was somehow funnier to me that here i am beating on my car directly in front of a cop, and i'm still well within legal limits

would definitely be in a different position if i had something with more power
Fast cars and you don’t realize how fast youre really going. Many times I’m on the freeway and thinking the car was feeing good and looked down and 120.

Last edited by TommyW; 08-18-2022 at 10:58 AM.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-18-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 04:16 AM   #44
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I love my Alfa Romeo 4C.

Unique and still plenty quick for an 8 year old car. Behaves like a vintage turbocharged exotic (think Ferrari F40) -- a bit of turbo lag, but with no power steering and only 2400lbs to move, it is alive and full of theater even at 30mph. Can't say that about a GTR or any Porsche GT product (I'll give a pass to a manual 991.2 GT3 ), where you'll have to be breaking the local ordinance to feel the capabilities and sensations.

My last three vehicles have been manual and those who bash the 4C for not having a manual clearly haven't driven one. I don't miss the 3rd pedal when I'm fighting the manual steering rack.

Over 42,000 miles and nearly three years of ownership, I've only spent $474 in DIY maintenance (excluding tires + alignments).

Imo nothing like it will be made again.

That being said, I really want to try out the 2nd-gen GR86 / BRZ after my time with a '13 FR-S and '17 BRZ.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-20-2022), Irace86.2.0 (08-23-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (08-20-2022), Re_Invention (08-22-2022), Spuds (08-21-2022), Ultramaroon (08-23-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 10:21 AM   #45
bucketfoot

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Fast cars and you don’t realize how fast youre really going. Many times I’m on the freeway and thinking the car was feeing good and looked down and 120.
Not that it was a fast car, but I got out of a ticket years ago for pretty much this reason.

I got pulled over for speeding days after I had bought a Geo Storm. I told the officer that I had just come from a Mitsubishi Montero where it felt like I was doing 50 when going 25, to the Storm where I was doing 50 and it felt like 25.

He looked at my brand new paperwork, laughed and told me to pay attention to my speed until I got used to the car
soundman98 (08-20-2022), TommyW (08-21-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #46
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
I love my Alfa Romeo 4C.

Unique and still plenty quick for an 8 year old car. Behaves like a vintage turbocharged exotic (think Ferrari F40) -- a bit of turbo lag, but with no power steering and only 2400lbs to move, it is alive and full of theater even at 30mph. Can't say that about a GTR or any Porsche GT product (I'll give a pass to a manual 991.2 GT3 ), where you'll have to be breaking the local ordinance to feel the capabilities and sensations.

My last three vehicles have been manual and those who bash the 4C for not having a manual clearly haven't driven one. I don't miss the 3rd pedal when I'm fighting the manual steering rack.

Over 42,000 miles and nearly three years of ownership, I've only spent $474 in DIY maintenance (excluding tires + alignments).

Imo nothing like it will be made again.

That being said, I really want to try out the 2nd-gen GR86 / BRZ after my time with a '13 FR-S and '17 BRZ.
Love it. Thanks for posting. I've been in the Alfa 4C boat over and over again... I agree with you - it's a special car and there won't be anything like it, at that price point, ever. And while I feel like I've missed the boat on it, the prices are still seriously reasonable. I've been talked/scared out of ownership twice now but still get the itchy finger for one to look every couple of months and binge on youtube videos. I got a chance to put on a few hundred miles on a slightly modified one (turo) during a stay in Vegas several years ago; Red Rock, Mt. Charleston, Hoover drive, etc. Like you said; it's amazing at 30mph second gear loaded - absolutely nothing like it. Pure smile machine. Completely visceral in ways other sports cars can only dream of. In my opinion, and of the cars I've been in, the only other car experiences that's comparable are a Shelby Cobra (FFR kit), Exige & Aventador. And that's comparable, not the same - all very different experiences but similar with that hair-on-end thrill and 'experience' at any speed, even parked! For anyone considering one, do it!

OP - get a C7 vette. Turn key sports car that's gonna give you the wow-factor for the money and you can get in/out of it easily. GTR is alright but as stated not gonna find anything at $50k that won't have deferred maintenance/required repairs. Porsche products are great and I'd recommend a Cayman/Boxster as an FRS upgrade but that's going to be the same as you have, just better from a push-it perspective, so no need to bother. The c7 has the best corvette interior, in my opinion, proven reliable and last of the FR breed and it'll give you cheap thrills on the straight at any time, no need for a curvy road/track to have fun with it. I think it's a much more fun experience than any Pony car for that matter and greater cache for the money than a used GT500.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
dhuang (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #47
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
One more thing about the C7,,,, I just got in my insurance bill for the C7 and FRS. 6 month policy and I don't carry comp or collision on the FRS as it isn't running, I do on the C7. 2015 FRS - $710, 2016 C7 $631.

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote