follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
inimitable

Drives: SSM 6-MT limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Bluetooth fix for Android/Samsung users

Hey guys,

I was going to make this a guide to getting Android/Samsung phones to work with the multimedia player, but soon realized it was a bite that was more than I could chew. So, I figured I'd start something more manageable, my specific combination, and then let the discussion build from there to help others with issues/combinations as they arise and are requested, and also because I simply don't have much to offer regarding those concerns. All I can give the least advice about is my specific phone, the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (SGH-I727 AT&T).

Initially I made a thread about the issues I was having with my car's multimedia and my phone's bluetooth disconnection problems. It was there that it was recommended that I update my phone's firmware to ICS (ice cream sandwich 4.X.X). After much effort, I did this, and to my delight, it seems my issues have been resolved!

This will be a guide for anyone else with similar issues, specifically with Android/Samsung users in mind. However, even if you're not a Samsung user, this may still point one in the right direction, as I suspect that BT problems are stemming solely from device firmware issues and NOT from the car's multimedia player, as I'm sure many have/had concerns about.

In my case, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (SGH-I727), which is actually distinct from the regular GSII and, thus, has its own, unique software updates released from AT&T - which have yet to be released. I was still running Android version GingerBread (2.3.6), as AT&T has not yet released the ICS (4.0.3) update to the Skyrocket. I didn't know it at first, but, as a result (of the old software), I had problems staying connected to the multimedia player via bluetooth. It was so frustrating, it was not even worth using. I made a thread about it to try and troubleshoot, and there it was recommended to a few of us Samsung users to update. Again, at least in my case, not all of us could. So, I checked out some other forums and harnessed the power of Google...

Eventually, I came across a way to flash a leaked Android 4.0 (ICS) firmware to my Skyrocket. What's more, it was easy enough, even for a noob like me! But, even better (than having some new fancy firmware to fool around with) is having some proper functioning fucking bluetooth to communicate with the multimedia player in my BRZ!

So far, so good. I gave it an initial test run and immediately two functions existed that never did before: I was able to achieve two BT bars (on the multimedia display) instead of one; and I was able to import my contacts. I then streamed some music via BT for a short trip, and had no issues reconnecting for the return journey, which would have invariably been a problem previously.

For the method I used, go to the link below and follow the instructions completely. I thought they were very clear.
WARNING: If your phone is NOT a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, this is NOT for you. However, don't give up hope. Just do a search, as I did, and I'm sure you'll come across a method unique to your specific phone, as a means of getting a legit upgrade to ICS. In my case, I read through a bunch of thread on various forums, such as XDA-developers and adroidforums. I learned a little, but I also read of many other issues to help further complicate things. Eventually, I simply Google'd "galaxy s2 skyrocket ice cream sandwich" and checked out the first result, which seemed easy and clear enough for me to follow, and I went with it, and it worked. Thus, the link below:

http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...irmware-80263/

I hope this helps.

If you have any questions or comments, post, and I'll add any advice that I can for those with different devices, but as I said, I'm a noob.
inimitable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inimitable For This Useful Post:
Scooby South (07-16-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
feedbag
Seasoned Spirit

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Upgrading your phone to ICS is not a silver bullet guarantee that the car's janky head unit will start properly working with your phone. Additionally, flashing a third party ROM guarantees stability issues with your phone and frequent reflashes (even with the latest most stable version of Cyanogenmod) so unless you like dinking around with your phone I don't recommend doing it. You have to be pretty tech savvy to use a third party ROM and be able to deal with the headaches it throws your way, I definitely don't suggest doing it just to see if you can get bluetooth working.
feedbag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feedbag For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-25-2012), ubersoph (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I have a HTC Evo 3D and it works perfectly with my BRZ Blutooth.

I'm hoping to get the ICS update sometime in the next month (based on sprint user forums info). Hopefully the Ice Cream won't ruin my perfect functionality.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1383

Bookmark it, read all the stickies before doing anything, and always thank the devs. Root, backup with CWM, flash any ROM you like, enjoy!

I've had three Android phones and all have been running the latest firmware with lots of fun custom tweaks many many months before the carrier releases them loaded with bloatware. Cyanogenmod 9 and AOKP are the best ROM's out there. My Galaxy note is currently running a custom version of the official AT&T ICS Leak and bluetooth audio works great in my Tiguan (BRZ comes end of July). The Skyrocket also has a very stable official ICS leak that will work well for you and likely solve any issues you have, assuming the custom ROMs don't.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbag View Post
Additionally, flashing a third party ROM guarantees stability issues with your phone and frequent reflashes (even with the latest most stable version of Cyanogenmod) so unless you like dinking around with your phone I don't recommend doing it. You have to be pretty tech savvy to use a third party ROM and be able to deal with the headaches it throws your way, I definitely don't suggest doing it just to see if you can get bluetooth working.
This is not true for all custom ROMs. There are some ROMs that are as or more stable than the official build. I have been in the Android scene for 3 years, and have had various experiences both good and bad, and while I can second you that there are instances in which the custom ROM is a headache, there are many others that you just set it and forget it. The trick is reading a lot of peoples reviews opinions and experiences with said ROM to get which one is working the best.

NOW, my recommendation is that whomever is going to try this, make sure to research and find out what works 100% with that ROM and what (if anything does not work) and then decide if it is worth the effort.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
sirhc

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
unless there is some issue with the brz that is not in the fr-s I also have a I-727 and that was on 2.3.6 gingerbread and have had no problems to speak of with the bluetooth and the car. now for fun I have tonight rooted and updated it to a new leaked version of ICS 4.0.4 and a custom Rom to boot. but it still doesnt show any problems.
sirhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
feedbag
Seasoned Spirit

Garage
Not everyone on these forums are going to want to screw with their phones. Prior to rooting and flashing a custom ROM a smartphone is something that "just works" for people in most cases. As soon as you get into custom ROM territory you're going to run into all sorts of fun stuff -- boot loops, a bunch of force closes, radios not working properly, camera / GPS / misc. devices not working, and for each and every one of those things you're going to have to hop on the google and figure out what's going on. Not everyone wants to have to go and find out they need to reboot into clockwork recovery mod and reset their permissions or format their dalvik cache or create a sd-ext partition on their sdcard and move stuff over because their /data/data partition is full or find out that their shit's been corrupted because their battery died and the ROM they happened to install didn't use a journaling filesystem. And that's if they're actually tech savvy and can actually figure that shit out, let alone the poor saps that just followed a guide and are permanently stuck in third party hackville until their contract is due for renewal.

I've been in the "ROM / rooting" scene myself and have tried every major distribution under the sun -- CM, MIUI, AOKP (LOL someone said Kang is stable ahahahaha), Team AlphaXPlusToyotaMarshmallow, etc. etc., and my opinion is that someone should only flash a custom ROM of their own volition, i.e. they actually have a genuine interest in playing with and tweaking their phone, not because some guy on the internet said it'd make their bluetooth headunit work moar better. Especially when it probably won't help at all.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1383

Bookmark it, read all the stickies before doing anything, and always thank the devs. Root, backup with CWM, flash any ROM you like, enjoy!

I've had three Android phones and all have been running the latest firmware with lots of fun custom tweaks many many months before the carrier releases them loaded with bloatware. Cyanogenmod 9 and AOKP are the best ROM's out there. My Galaxy note is currently running a custom version of the official AT&T ICS Leak and bluetooth audio works great in my Tiguan (BRZ comes end of July). The Skyrocket also has a very stable official ICS leak that will work well for you and likely solve any issues you have, assuming the custom ROMs don't.
Agreed.

Those are the forums I spent the most time on researching. Also, I'm using an official AT&T ICS leak which has been flawless so far.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
inimitable

Quote:
Upgrading your phone to ICS is not a silver bullet guarantee that the car's janky head unit will start properly working with your phone. Additionally, flashing a third party ROM guarantees stability issues with your phone and frequent reflashes (even with the latest most stable version of Cyanogenmod) so unless you like dinking around with your phone I don't recommend doing it. You have to be pretty tech savvy to use a third party ROM and be able to deal with the headaches it throws your way, I definitely don't suggest doing it just to see if you can get bluetooth working.

Not third party.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
inimitable

Quote:
I've been in the "ROM / rooting" scene myself and have tried every major distribution under the sun -- CM, MIUI, AOKP (LOL someone said Kang is stable ahahahaha), Team AlphaXPlusToyotaMarshmallow, etc. etc., and my opinion is that someone should only flash a custom ROM of their own volition, i.e. they actually have a genuine interest in playing with and tweaking their phone, not because some guy on the internet said it'd make their bluetooth headunit work moar better. Especially when it probably won't help at all.
I mean, I am simply referring to a specific subset of smart phones here, particularly, as stated, the Samsung GSII Skyrocket. On top of that, the firmware I used was an AT&T official, leaked version, not some custom ROM built by someone in their spare time. Furthermore, you require further study of the word volition - I simply gave a little bit of advice, regarding my special circumstances; I'm not trying to start a cult. Obviously, the decision is left up to the end user's own volition.

Sounds like you've hacked up your own phone and just because you failed miserably, you're running around crying wolf.

Stop trying to keep the rest of us, with terrible BT implementation, down with your faceless propaganda and Doom's Day scenarios. Flame on that.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
inimitable

In any case, my shit's still working - in & out, on & off. STILL working.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
feedbag
Seasoned Spirit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inimitable View Post
I mean, I am simply referring to a specific subset of smart phones here, particularly, as stated, the Samsung GSII Skyrocket. On top of that, the firmware I used was an AT&T official, leaked version, not some custom ROM built by someone in their spare time.
That's funny because the title is 'Bluetooth fix for Android / Samsung users', not 'Bluetooth fix for Samsung GSII Skyrocket users'. You must not have gotten the memo -- Samsung makes a lot of Android phones and a lot of them aren't Galaxy S2 Skyrockets. It's pretty presumptuous to assume I was responding to you, seeing as how there are other users in this thread recommending they use third party ROMs -- and even so, there's a chance something in a leaked build will be broken (leaked builds often have bad radio firmware which is why they're not official) as well as the fact that auto update will be disabled and they'll have to jump through some hoops to get on the official release or future updates.

Also, that's a very specific subset of phones -- I can't imagine that a too many people bought the Skyrocket with the HTC One X out and the Galaxy S3 coming out just weeks after the Skyrocket's release. (congratulations on your poor choice of phones by the way)

Quote:
Furthermore, you require further study of the word volition
Trying to attack someone's grammar is probably one of the lamest, least relevant ways you can go after someone on an internet forum, and despite that you still managed to screw that up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
vo·li·tion [voh-lish-uhn, vuh-] noun
  1. the act of willing, choosing, or resolving; exercise of willing: She left of her own volition.
  2. a choice or decision made by the will.
  3. the power of willing; will.
Quote:
Sounds like you've hacked up your own phone and just because you failed miserably, you're running around crying wolf.
Have you even touched adb before? I'm trying to just keep people from giving themselves a headache bud, if you'd bothered reading all of my earlier post and the laundry list of things I gave that could go wrong with a custom ROM you'd realize that I knew my shit.

Last edited by feedbag; 06-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Chauntalei

Drives: Non-BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I upgraded to the official AT&T ICS update for the Galaxy S II (non-Skyrocket) and I am STILL having pairing issues. Talked to my dealer about it, and the next step in the troubleshooting for my specific car is to pair it with an iPhone and see if it has issues. If it does, then it's the head unit, if not, it's my phone.
Chauntalei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
inimitable

Quote:
That's funny because the title is 'Bluetooth fix for Android / Samsung users', not 'Bluetooth fix for Samsung GSII Skyrocket users'. You must not have gotten the memo -- Samsung makes a lot of Android phones and a lot of them aren't Galaxy S2 Skyrockets. It's pretty presumptuous to assume I was responding to you, seeing as how there are other users in this thread recommending they use third party ROMs -- and even so, there's a chance something in a leaked build will be broken (leaked builds often have bad radio firmware which is why they're not official) as well as the fact that auto update will be disabled and they'll have to jump through some hoops to get on the official release or future updates.

Also, that's a very specific subset of phones -- I can't imagine that a too many people bought the Skyrocket with the HTC One X out and the Galaxy S3 coming out just weeks after the Skyrocket's release. (congratulations on your poor choice of phones by the way)

Trying to attack someone's grammar is probably one of the lamest, least relevant ways you can go after someone on an internet forum, and despite that you still managed to screw that up:

Have you even touched adb before? I'm trying to just keep people from giving themselves a headache bud, if you'd bothered reading all of my earlier post and the laundry list of things I gave that could go wrong with a custom ROM you'd realize that I knew my shit.
...and if you'd read my first POST ITT, you'd see where I then narrowed my focus to my specific phone manufacturer and model.

I only gave the thread the title that I did in order to attract a wider range of users, that might be having similar problems, with the thought that more was better, and, further, because maybe one of them might have come up with a resolution that might at least point me in the right direction. At the same time, I didn't want to try and be too inclusive, for those simpleminded folks, i.e. you, that might derail the thread because it didn't do anything (and everything) for them. I thought it was good advertising. But, apparently, in the future, I'll have caution customers that the coffee is HOT, as well.

BTW, I wasn't attacking your grammar; I was attacking your understanding or comprehension of the word volition. Perhaps, you should spend a little time defining grammar, understanding, and comprehension, as well. There is no need to come back and post the results ITT; just keep them to yourself. However, if you'd like some exercises with them, try using them in a sentence, and writing the definition of each 5 times.

Concerning ADB and my understanding of Android, you're right, it's VERY LIMITED. But, I never professed anything otherwise. In fact, that's exactly the point of this thread: I am, for the most part, ignorant about the infrastructure that is the Android operating system that runs my phone. I also lack an understanding of Bluetooth as well as any appreciation for the complexity of the Infotainment system in my car. Yet, I was still able to isolate my problem (Android OS), and manipulate it, to achieve the resolution I was after! Must've been dumb luck. And while flashing custom ROMs or leaked updates can lead to a new set of problems, I didn't leave any detailed instructions on how to do it, and I have yet to read any DYI guides that don't express myriad precautions to take beforehand, as well as potential resolutions in the event that something goes wrong. In my case, these were risks I was willing to take. I paid ~$200 to upgrade my phone, but I probably paid ~$2,000 for the unit in the car, which I find, for the most part, useless without the functioning Bluetooth for the audio and hands-free phone; I can really do without the Nav - Google Navigation FTW.

As for my phone... I got it in December 2011. According to my calendar, that's more than 6 months past, or, roughly 24-28 weeks. Too bad, I couldn't hold out for the new NEW thing! Then again, those, too will be outdated. In the meantime, I'm very happy with my phone. It's been extremely reliable and capable of everything I've intended and attempted to use it for. The only regret I have is that I wasn't aware of the upcoming (at the time) Galaxy Note, which was released 1-2 months later. If I'd have known, I'd have waited for it. In any case, I'll just have to settle for the next new NEWEST thing, when I decide to upgrade.

Anyway, resorting to (verbally) bashing another man's phone via an internet forum is where I draw the line. You've got me! You win all the arguments! You're awesome! You're a hero!

Last edited by inimitable; 07-08-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Tags
android, bluetooth, multimedia, nav, samsung