follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #15
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not putting in a v8. I'm too far down the path with a water-to-air intercooled turbo, Holinger sequential gearbox that mates to a FA20, a suspension and braking packing I'm happy with etc etc. I just need to build the engine and get back on the track - I don't have the appetite for months of sorting engine swap challenges.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hags86 For This Useful Post:
86Tony (06-06-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:25 AM   #16
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It will take some time but I recommend reading the Element Tuning thread on oiling their +400 hp race car. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63723
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #17
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just get a closed deck built FA20.

So far IAG and HKS are your only choices.

IAG made a few closed block FA20s that some forum members are testing out. But no updates or info has been released on them for quite some time. You will probably have to call IAG to get them to make you one or release any info on the motors.

HKS will cost you all the money. It just got released a couple of months ago so there are not any real world examples running around yet.

**A Notable Mention On The Above Information To 2017+ Owners**

IAG: Used the 2012-2016 FA20 motor. So 2017+ owners should be clear about their cars year when inquiring.

HKS: Did not make a clear distinction (at least to English readers) about the what model year their built motors are based on. 2017+ owners should assume they use 2012-2016 motors until someone more in the loop with HKS clarifies the issue.

It would suck to spend all that money and wait time on a motor only to not have it be a direct plug and play with the 2017+ wiring harness/factory ecu.
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Outfront also has a closed deck FA20.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-01-2018), TachyonBomb (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
Hags86

Just bought a closed deck block from Outfront. They have them in stock. Shipped 20 minutes after I called them and paid.

Still not 100% sure what to do about oil pressure.at high revs and temps.

I get conflicting advice about
- just shim the OEM oil pump
- flow restrictions to the head
- Reimax high capacity pump
- combinations of above

Last edited by Hags86; 06-01-2018 at 06:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hags86 For This Useful Post:
DriftinFRS (06-07-2018), TachyonBomb (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Outfront also has a closed deck FA20.
Very cool and they are in California... Thanks for the info!

CSG Mike:

If the prototype/testing stages of the of the Verus and Jacks Transmission gearing/synchro upgrades pan out to handle large amounts of TQ well, There is a good argument to be made that the all the major factory shortcomings of the 86 platform are now overcome.

Easily accessible built closed deck FA20
Verus/Jacks transmission gear upgrades
IS300 or supra 3.XX geared rear differential
1000 hp rear axles
OS Giken twin plate clutch (with CSG logo coughcough on the cover)

Idk about you but I'm kind of excited for the future of this platform now.

Hags86:

You are a bad ass! After researching Outfront, I think HKS lost a sale with me too. (Unless I end up finding a money tree in a magical forest one day) lol

Please keep the forum updated with your build. I'm really looking forward to the info & data your build will yield.
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #21
Hags86

After talking with a bunch of engine builders and tuners the build list has changed a little since I started this thread.

My approach is to spend as much is as sensible on the short block without any compromises and then as little as needed on the heads.

This is what's on order:
  • Outfront FA20 closed deck block, machined for 1/2" ARP head studs
  • JE MLS head gasket to suit block/studs
  • CP Carillo custom 12.5:1 86.25mm pistons
  • CP Carillo forged rods. Both my local engine builder and Outfront strongly recommended these. They have a sawtooth profile machined in the parting line on the big end. As the rod is angled this extra surface perpendicular to the direction of the force helps keep the big end and resists the natural tendency to go oval shaped.
  • OEM crankshaft, linished and polished
  • lightly recondition heads, just re-touch the valve seats
  • OEM valves. Given the high compression and not super-crazy HP aim the consensus was these are big enough. If not the just add another 1/2 PSI boost. I can always spend money on the head later without having to touch the short block if I get this wrond.
  • GSC Single valve springs. The beehive seemed overkill
  • new OEM timing chain tensioners
  • re-using chain guides
  • re-using OEM main block bolts. No need to line bore or pin mains

Closed decking the block was a difficult choice. There was a little damage on my block from where the piston bottomed out due to the bent rod. It was all checked and there was no distortion and my builder was very confident the block could be re-used. I just felt that extra bit of insurance with a closed deck was within my budget - especially as I'm not spending big $$ on the head - so just do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hags86 For This Useful Post:
DriftinFRS (06-07-2018), TachyonBomb (06-04-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #22
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Good, if somebody can properly build and drive a 500+ hp twin, it would be you. For me, as I wrote before, I wouldn't try.
He has a motec m150, traction control setup 500whp will be a a breeze to drive
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #23
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
After talking with a bunch of engine builders and tuners the build list has changed a little since I started this thread.

My approach is to spend as much is as sensible on the short block without any compromises and then as little as needed on the heads.

This is what's on order:
  • Outfront FA20 closed deck block, machined for 1/2" ARP head studs
  • JE MLS head gasket to suit block/studs
  • CP Carillo custom 12.5:1 86.25mm pistons
  • CP Carillo forged rods. Both my local engine builder and Outfront strongly recommended these. They have a sawtooth profile machined in the parting line on the big end. As the rod is angled this extra surface perpendicular to the direction of the force helps keep the big end and resists the natural tendency to go oval shaped.
  • OEM crankshaft, linished and polished
  • lightly recondition heads, just re-touch the valve seats
  • OEM valves. Given the high compression and not super-crazy HP aim the consensus was these are big enough. If not the just add another 1/2 PSI boost. I can always spend money on the head later without having to touch the short block if I get this wrond.
  • GSC Single valve springs. The beehive seemed overkill
  • new OEM timing chain tensioners
  • re-using chain guides
  • re-using OEM main block bolts. No need to line bore or pin mains

Closed decking the block was a difficult choice. There was a little damage on my block from where the piston bottomed out due to the bent rod. It was all checked and there was no distortion and my builder was very confident the block could be re-used. I just felt that extra bit of insurance with a closed deck was within my budget - especially as I'm not spending big $$ on the head - so just do it.

Add King XPG Main/Rod Bearings. Also the Reimax oil pump gears before the front cover goes back on.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #24
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Might also want to consider WPC treatment on friction surfaces. +1 for the Reimax oil pump gear. I chose to use one for my build.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #25
Hags86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Add King XPG Main/Rod Bearings. Also the Reimax oil pump gears before the front cover goes back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
Might also want to consider WPC treatment on friction surfaces. +1 for the Reimax oil pump gear. I chose to use one for my build.
Thanks guys. I'm really interested in the Reimax oil pump. They make two versions one being the same size and the other a larger capacity a comes with a spacer and needs some machining on the timing cover. Which one are you referring too? Why did you choose this - was there are particular issue you were trying to address?

My problem is that I don't get enough oil pressure at high revs and high temps. Say 45-50PSI at 7000rpm at oil temps of 115C (240F) with a 20w-40 weight oil. Does the Reimax fix this.

Considering putting in the high capacity Reimax pump and some flow restrictors to the heads. I just get conflicting advice about this.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #26
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I chose the large capacity version on the advice of my motor builder, BlueMoon Performance. I have the EB SC and my goal was to make the motor as bulletproof as I could within my budget. I also put a BlueMoon baffle in the oil pan. I may run an Accusump too. We WPC'd the crank, crank bearings, rods, pistons, rings, etc. All of this is ideally to prevent spinning a bearing if possible.

I'm still in the process of putting the car back together, so I don't have any numbers with regards to oil pressure with my configuration, yet. I'll be running Motul 20-50 oil.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #27
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
Considering putting in the high capacity Reimax pump and some flow restrictors to the heads. I just get conflicting advice about this.
What advice are you getting against flow restrictors? From what I've read it seems the oil pump mods aren't very effective because the heads absorb the majority of the flowrate increase.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #28
firekat

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Stumbled across this article:

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educat...s-of-the-fa20/
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote