follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #29
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Over revs are usually from missed downshifting. I think most people think they're from over revving from acceleration
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-13-2017), ~el~jefe~ (04-15-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dostoyevsky View Post
I see, curious though how the fuck did someone manage to blow this engine at stock hp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandom18 View Post
Revving to 8k?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

or more. 5th to 2nd can be very very bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Revving to 8K has been fine [for me], doing it every now & then. I don't track or race my car though, so it's just for a split second when I do hit 8K. If my motor ever blows up, I'll be sure to let everyone know
A split second is all it takes. Just a matter of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
They've probably built 200,000 of these at this point, not every single one came out perfect from the factory, and many many of them were driven very hard exposing weaknesses.

All mass produced engines have a measurable premature failure rate. ALL of them.

Oiling issues are the most common along with a few valves coming apart. There was also a tune issue on the first year of production cars that created knock under fast shifting at high rpm that damaged the direct injector seals, a few blew up from that.
This^^^
I would guess that most that had issues have either already shown them or they were fixed. Of course there could be a few sneak through still.
Somerandom18 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Over revs are usually from missed downshifting. I think most people think they're from over revving from acceleration
Yep! Impossible to over rev while accelerating since you hit the limiter and the fuel gets cut. You can bounce off that limiter all the time with no issues it is when you manage to go past it with a bad downshift that all hell breaks loose.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #32
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
So say, would 250whp be reliable with this engine, and for supporting mods.. say: catch can + oil cooler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Revs and oil pressure are the issue not power levels. If you could make that power below 8k rpm and keep oil temps and pressures intact it would be ok... most likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
It is very difficult to get 250whp with NA and for sure you'll need to increase the engine displacement with boring and honing.

As others mentioned the main engine issue is the low oil pressure on high rpms, but this is an effect and not the cause. The issue is that the engine is getting very hot and it is a reason that the stock tuning has unusually rich AFRs. It is clear that they were trying to keep it running cooler and not the b*shit that the tuning was wrong. An oil cooler will solve the issue partially. The revised engine (2016+) has internals with lower friction and this helps more.

HP isn't as big of an issue as torque is.

Oil pressure is an Achilles heal on these motors for people who really push their cars on the track, bu t for most people it shouldnt be an issue.

The rods are another very weak point of the FA20, quite a few guys have blown up their cars by lugging the motors a little in higher gears. Torque turns the stock rods into wet noodles.

With all of that said, "is it safe" is the wrong mindset to have. As someone else said "If I fuck this up, can I pay to fix it", if the answer is yes then add some power, if no then forget about it until you can. There are guys running 400+ WHP on stock motors and the track who are still going strong, there are guys who are making under 300WHP and have punched a window in the block cruising.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #33
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
I see, curious though how the fuck did someone manage to blow this engine at stock hp?
I've personally seen a stock, automatic transition BRZ blow up on the track in 100 degree weather with an oil cooler and brake pads as the only mod.

It all depends on how you drive and treat your car, the tune, fuel, maintenance etc...
Old 04-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #34
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If you have an early 13' model,

assuming it would be better to get a good tune rather than staying with the crappy tune from the factory?
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #35
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattran86 View Post

assuming it would be better to get a good tune rather than staying with the crappy tune from the factory?
What makes you think the tune from the factory is crappy?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-14-2017), strat61caster (04-14-2017), ~el~jefe~ (04-15-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 03:18 AM   #36
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,359 Times in 4,131 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:

Tunes, like everything else automotive design related, are a compromise.
The oem tuners have to consider power, economy and emissions. I am guessing these parameters are mutually exclusive.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #37
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
What makes you think the tune from the factory is crappy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Tunes, like everything else automotive design related, are a compromise.
The oem tuners have to consider power, economy and emissions. I am guessing these parameters are mutually exclusive.
Yes any before early 2013 had an error in the factory tune tunes before ZA1JA01x had fhe issue all round the world. The transient ignition retard setting was incorrect setting was disabled above 5000 rpm from memory which meant it was always disabled during high rpm shifts. The A01x and above roms from factory corrected this and also increased the amount of ignition retard applied during high rpm shifting.

This was only rearly an issue for people who shifted at or near redline and was exagerated by low quality fuels. Was also known as the Direct injector seal fix but was actually a severe knock fix on high rpm shifts.

Below is the transient retard tables from early to late 2013 both stock roms\tune Note also that prior to early 2013 the rpm setting error meant that these tables hence transient retard was completly disabled in early roms

Last edited by steve99; 04-14-2017 at 07:45 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-14-2017), dattran86 (04-14-2017), strat61caster (04-14-2017), Teseo (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #38
MurderousPandas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey guys, I got a question, how bulletproof are our engines when N/A?

How much power can these engines handle and last the life of the car?
I think NA's only problem is heat. I'm just about as far as i can go NA without breaking open the block, and i've had nothing but reliability for the past 70k miles. I drive a '13.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
MurderousPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MurderousPandas For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-14-2017), Teseo (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #39
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
This was only rearly an issue for people who shifted at or near redline and was exagerated by low quality fuels. Was also known as the Direct injector seal fix but was actually a severe knock fix on high rpm shifts.

Below is the transient retard tables from early to late 2013 both stock roms\tune Note also that prior to early 2013 the rpm setting error meant that these tables hence transient retard was completly disabled in early roms
I remember the injector seal fix issue. Unfortunately, it was one of the main problems of the 1st generation cars. It was dependent on fuel quality and also how the car (or how hard) was driven. As you noted it was fixed with an upgraded stock rom\tune. There were also some small engine internal changes at the end of production year 2013.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #40
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been beating the crap out of mine.

Don't let it warm up in the mornings (I lived in Hawaii, Calif and Texas though)
Constant hammering through gears.
Bounce off the rev limit all the time.
Using an OFT Flex Fuel Beta tune (only performance item on car)
Dealer did not put the filler cap back on after an oil change and I ran ~3 quarts low.
Currently running low on coolant.
Did a 9k mile oil change recently

Yeah its my daily, no I dont have another vehicle. If it dies, it dies. Just gives me a reason to build it for high boost.
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #41
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougenite View Post
Currently running low on coolant.
I've been running low on coolant (slightly below minimum line) since I bought my car 4+ years ago lol. Never bothered to top it off.. after a while, I just forgot about it. I finally bought a gallon of Subaru coolant last month, I'll top it off eventually.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #42
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I've been running low on coolant (slightly below minimum line) since I bought my car 4+ years ago lol. Never bothered to top it off.. after a while, I just forgot about it. I finally bought a gallon of Subaru coolant last month, I'll top it off eventually.
thats how mine has been, havent messed with it ever. I have some in my closet just havent put it in
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote