follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 AM   #1
WRITEX

Drives: 2012 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear bumper fog/reverse light - How to remove if top bolts are corroded?

So... yeah. I live in a area where they spray salt on the roads half the year.
The 2 top bolts holding the fog/reverse light in place are corroded and pretty much rounded.

Any ideas on how to remove the fog/reverse light without breaking my rear bumper?
I think it could easily be removed if I snap the top bolts, since I don't plan on re-using the light as I am swapping it out with a valenti 4th brake light, but as the the top bolts are rounded I would need to use a grinder, and we all know how little space we have to work with unless the rear muffler is removed.
I'm somewhat lucky though since I have an aftermarket catback system whereas the rear muffler is slightly smaller than OEM, but it's still too big to get a normal sized grinder up to the top bolts of the reverse light.

So... Is the threaded bit only on the fog/reverse light housing? Or is there like a threaded piece on the bumper as well, or is it just a hole that the bolt goes through?

Last edited by WRITEX; 12-06-2017 at 09:42 AM.
WRITEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRITEX View Post
So... yeah. I live in a area where they spray salt on the roads half the year.
The 2 top bolts holding the fog/reverse light in place are corroded and pretty much rounded.

Any ideas on how to remove the fog/reverse light without breaking my rear bumper?
I think it could easily be removed if I snap the top bolts, since I don't plan on re-using the light as I am swapping it out with a valenti 4th brake light, but as the the top bolts are rounded I would need to use a grinder, and we all know how little space we have to work with unless the rear muffler is removed.
I'm somewhat lucky though since I have an aftermarket catback system whereas the rear muffler is slightly smaller than OEM, but it's still too big to get a normal sized grinder up to the top bolts of the reverse light.

So... Is the threaded bit only on the fog/reverse light housing? Or is there like a threaded piece on the bumper as well, or is it just a hole that the bolt goes through?

the bolts on top of the reverse light go through a nut clipped to the light. if your bolt head is rounded off, I would try spraying some penetrant on the threads of the bolt and nut and let it sit, then I would see if I can get a vise grip onto the head of the bolt as tight as I can and see if I can get the bolt out that way.
Attached Images

fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You could also try dremeling the bolt to fit a flat head screwdriver if you have a dremel
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote