follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What platform should Toyota use for the next Supra?
Toyota "S" Platform which is used for the GS, IS/RC, & Crown. 3 60.00%
A stretched & modified 86/FR-S platform. 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #225
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLegend View Post
I guess we will see how well hybrid sport cars do when the new NSX comes out...if the rumors of it being a hybrid is true.
Well with 400hp or whatever and all those fancy and exotic electric bits, if they sell it south of 100k that would be amazing already.

They're trying to kick off the sports car market with the BRZ/FRS, the next logical step is one tier higher, not supercar territory. I hope they remember that driver involvement is an important part of the sports car experience too, which is easy to forget when you want to go for fast.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #226
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Well with 400hp or whatever and all those fancy and exotic electric bits, if they sell it south of 100k that would be amazing already.

They're trying to kick off the sports car market with the BRZ/FRS, the next logical step is one tier higher, not supercar territory. I hope they remember that driver involvement is an important part of the sports car experience too, which is easy to forget when you want to go for fast.
For a sports car something like Honda's IMA with ultracapacitors would be your choice? With using it like a push-to-pass button? (Like electric NOS?) Then the capacitors recharge quickly under hard braking?

Because titanium.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #227
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
For a sports car something like Honda's IMA with ultracapacitors would be your choice? With using it like a push-to-pass button? (Like electric NOS?) Then the capacitors recharge quickly under hard braking?
With IMA no need for a push to pass, it can be fully integrated (but some hypermilers prefer to manually control this). If the motor is powerful enough, what would be cool is a sequential gearbox with no clutch, as the electric motor should be able to start the engine along with the car.

With a more complicated hybrid setup, yes I would like some sort of manual control over the independent electric drive systems. Personal preference (I'm psychotic don't worry) is to have 2 gas pedals, staggered, one controlling primary electric drive. Brake pedal should have a "dead region" where regeneration is on but the physical brakes aren't.

Again I'm psychotic but mechanical linkages are just really cool in my book :P
Old 06-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #228
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
With IMA no need for a push to pass, it can be fully integrated. If the motor is powerful enough, what would be cool is a sequential gearbox with no clutch, as the electric motor should be able to start the engine along with the car.

With a more complicated hybrid setup, yes I would like some sort of manual control over the independent electric drive systems. Personal preference (I'm psychotic don't worry) is to have 2 gas pedals, staggered, one controlling primary electric drive. Brake pedal should have a "dead region" where regeneration is on but the physical brakes aren't.
I think electric 'NOS' would be interesting, if a little gimmicky. Reminds me of the Need for Speed games where the nitrous 'recharges'.

Plus there is racing pedigree in that style of use.

Give me a manual trans and an overtaking button.

Because titanium.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #229
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think electric 'NOS' would be interesting, if a little gimmicky. Reminds me of the Need for Speed games where the nitrous 'recharges'.

AND PUSH TO START. DON'T FORGET PUSH TO START GUISE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snoopyalien24 For This Useful Post:
blur (06-12-2012), Dimman (06-12-2012), Prava (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #230
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:

Well the only problem with that is that on the street you rarely ever get to use full power (given that you don't want to crash), so it's a good idea to have variable assist. Again, it's very easy to integrate, as Honda has done.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #231
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
The Supra resurrection rumors never go away do they? It seems like every other year since 1998 there has been some serious talk/rumors/magazine covers/concepts regarding the Supra, but look, its 2012 and there is nothing in sight...
I think they're hoping that if the rumors go on long enough.. Toyota will actually release it.

hahah

Anyways. I'll follow it. :P

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Old 06-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #232
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Well the only problem with that is that on the street you rarely ever get to use full power (given that you don't want to crash), so it's a good idea to have variable assist. Again, it's very easy to integrate, as Honda has done.
Logic does not belong in a new Supra discussion!

We're talking SUPRAS dammit!

Version 1: New Supra with Hybrid Synergy Drive. Boooooooring

Version 2: New Supra with Electronic NAWWWS!!! ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!!

(And push start)
Heh...

In all seriousness have computer manage it through your throttle application. But only when you press the button. So you could press the button and get access to the electric motor's huge dump of near instant torque whenever it was available. Corner exit, maintaing low gas engine load up a hill, passing a motorhome convey on a two lane highway, drag racing 3 other cars at 4am, whatever...

Maybe as a manual mode for the electric boost, and let the computer manage it otherwise.

Because titanium.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #233
serialk11r

Garage
Okay, but you need to be able to stop it. What if you don't want to dump all the charge? You could implement it so that it stops when you lift off the throttle, but why lift off the throttle? That's why having it either fully automatic, or fully manual is best.

You can still have a push to pass button though, I think the 918 Spyder push to pass button will give the electric motor some extra juice (not feasible continuous operation due to heat) for a few seconds. With ultracapacitors there would be no concern about dumping the battery power completely which kills battery life.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #234
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Press button. Extra x lb-ft of torque based on throttle position. Throttle now acts like there is a positive displacement blower on the motor. Alternatively, press button and get all available torque only under WOT (some nitrous systems act like this) until charge is gone. Have nifty charge gauge or lights like the NOS in Need for Speed.

I think the issue that a performance use may have in a full ECU controlled situation is a lack of predictabilty based on the charge level.

Manual activation may not be as efficient since we may lose some regen, but I think it would be better in a performance driving situation. The car will always respond a certain way and the driver has control.

Because titanium.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #235
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I know a lot of people will hate when I say this but the new Supra should start at 30k(V6 330hp)-40k(V8 450hp) with both the IS350 and IS-F engine tuned for a little more power.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #236
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I know a lot of people will hate when I say this but the new Supra should start at 30k(V6 330hp)-40k(V8 450hp) with both the IS350 and IS-F engine tuned for a little more power.
As much as I'd like the same, the Supra is a GTR competitor...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #237
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
As much as I'd like the same, the Supra is a GTR competitor...
I never understood that since one is RWD and the other is AWD.

I guess the TT I6 made them competitors?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #238
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Manual activation may not be as efficient since we may lose some regen, but I think it would be better in a performance driving situation. The car will always respond a certain way and the driver has control.
That's not the problem, the problem is that the manual activation you describe is too...simple :P It limits the capabilities.

I guess it would be good to "save" your boost in race until you want to pass, but having something better than just an on/off switch would be nice. Hence, electric boost pedal. Or maybe hand operated electric motor control, although if we're going to get rid of the clutch then we need the electric motor to be gas pedal operated at low rpm.

It's a bit of a dilemma, typically we expect to want to use up the electric power first to save gas, but if we want to use it as boost then all the controls would be "switched around". I don't like the idea of a "race mode" because it would be completely unusable on the street, if you require electric assist to come on via button press. If you include fully manual electric motor control, it would be incredibly difficult to drive on the street, since you have to manually coordinate the gas and electric motors. Imagine putting the car in 1st gear, and then pressing the gas only to realize that you can't move because you need to pull the electric power throttle. Or running out of electric power completely and getting stranded because you left the car in gear where it's unable to idle. To be honest, that's exactly what my idea of fun is, but there is no way any company would sell a car like that.

EDIT: Oh wait, I have a solution: "Hold boost" button! Hold to stop electric assist, release and floor the gas to activate boost.

Last edited by serialk11r; 06-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
new supra, supra, tap auto, tap auto parts, toyota supra