follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #71
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
you think scion/toyota dealerships will start stocking up subaru oil filters now, or do you think toyota will use their own oil filters for this engine?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #72
wichiewichie

Drives: Audi A3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
You are incorrect about it being a one-piece block. It is still formed from two halves, how else would they get the crankshaft in? The asymmetric connecting rods allow the motor to be assembled in the traditional manner, with the pistons, rods and wrist pins put together outside of the block and inserted as a unit. On the EJ, the rods had to be attached to the crank before putting the block halves together with the pistons and pins inserted afterwards as the connecting rod bolts were inaccessible once the blocks were assembled. Having the bolts rotated downward allows them to be accessed from below, this speeds up the production process and makes it cheaper for Subaru.
Thanks Old Greg for making that clear for me. I should have looked better at the pictures and not rely on what I thought read before.
wichiewichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #73
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Looks like i will be enjoying my 86 na with quality boltons for the first 100k maybe building a cosworth on the side and when i get bored drop in my 700hp beast...lol i can dream right....

But honestly im sure if this engine is already at its limits stock it will only be a matter of time before a retrofit kit becomes available to swap in an older sti swap etc......

Reminds me of the b18c5 almost at the limit from the factory so people focused their attention on driving and suspension tuning, tires brakes etc.....instead of brute horsepower...
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #74
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
you think scion/toyota dealerships will start stocking up subaru oil filters now, or do you think toyota will use their own oil filters for this engine?
Neither company makes oil filters, they have suppliers make oil filters for them. Toyota branded oil filters are made by Denso, the old school black Subaru filters are made by Tokyo Roki and are quite good, but the newer blue Subaru filters are made by the same company (and to the same standards) as Fram, so for the love of God stay away from them. Anyway, it wouldn't really cost any extra to have a different logo printed on the filter housing, so Toyota dealers will probably get Toyota branded filters.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #75
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Neither company makes oil filters, they have suppliers make oil filters for them. Toyota branded oil filters are made by Denso, the old school black Subaru filters are made by Tokyo Roki and are quite good, but the newer blue Subaru filters are made by the same company (and to the same standards) as Fram, so for the love of God stay away from them. Anyway, it wouldn't really cost any extra to have a different logo printed on the filter housing, so Toyota dealers will probably get Toyota branded filters.
so i'm guessing all frs/brz/86 that leave the factory will have a subaru filter (built in a subaru factory), but when you have the dealer do an oil change for you, they'll most likely use their 'own' brand of filters?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #76
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, I'm sure Toyota/Scion will just give you a Toyota equivalent. I'm going to use Mobil 1 (Champion) filters though as they are cheaper and superior.
Bristecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #77
gt86mods
Toyobaru Obsessed

Drives: 97' Civic Coupe
Who lets their dealers do oil changes anyways? I thought this was an enthusiast's car. Call it paranoia or whatever but I won't let anyone touch my car unless it's something that's way over my head which isn't much. I've seen dealers I've trusted make some huge mistakes that have cost family member's cars long term reliability. Dealers that are supposedly awarded for their service but turn around and hide mistakes to avoid paying to fix them.

The oil filter is right on top. Spend 30 bucks for a set of ramps, a socket wrench & do yourself a favor and change your own oil. You have nobody to blame but yourself if something goes wrong. It's definitely not rocket science and what harm does it do to learn basic auto maintenance.

Not trying to judge anyone out there who doesn't feel comfortable doing their own work I just feel it's important & in the best interest when you are investing so much money into a car. Mechanics these days are so damn shady, they are just out to make a buck & with so much on the line most of the time if they mess up they won't fess up or worse will try to hide the screw up. Seen it happen too many times.

Canon Photographer - My Website - Flickr Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
That's it. I'm cancelling my pre pre-order.
gt86mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #78
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86mods View Post
Who lets their dealers do oil changes anyways? I thought this was an enthusiast's car. Call it paranoia or whatever but I won't let anyone touch my car unless it's something that's way over my head which isn't much. I've seen dealers I've trusted make some huge mistakes that have cost family member's cars long term reliability. Dealers that are supposedly awarded for their service but turn around and hide mistakes to avoid paying to fix them.

The oil filter is right on top. Spend 30 bucks for a set of ramps, a socket wrench & do yourself a favor and change your own oil. You have nobody to blame but yourself if something goes wrong. It's definitely not rocket science and what harm does it do to learn basic auto maintenance.

Not trying to judge anyone out there who doesn't feel comfortable doing their own work I just feel it's important & in the best interest when you are investing so much money into a car. Mechanics these days are so damn shady, they are just out to make a buck & with so much on the line most of the time if they mess up they won't fess up or worse will try to hide the screw up. Seen it happen too many times.
The problem is that technically they can deny your warranty claim should the engine pop. Yes, usually receipts of purchase and documentation of mileage at time of change are good enough...but they still CAN deny it. Most people don't want to risk that. The alternative is to take it to an independent shop for better/more verifiable documentation, but that's more expensive than going to a dealer.

I know what you're saying and where you're coming from. I'll be doing my own oil, but there are reasons people don't do themselves.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #79
go baby go

Drives: soon to be 86
love the pics.. cant wait ....Bring it on.
go baby go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #80
Soravia

Drives: Miata Club
Pretty bad ass design. There seems to be some space in the front for dual exhaust setup. The drive shaft and control arms are made of steel. Aluminum pieces will save quite a bit of weight there. I know WRX and STi upgraded theirs to aluminum. Pass a second shaft under the engine from opposite of the exhaust and I can see a possibility for a front diff and AWD setup.

Last edited by Soravia; 03-03-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Soravia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #81
Soravia

Drives: Miata Club
I changed oil on my Corolla. The Toyota OEM filter had no rubber to cap their internal filter element. All that stuff in the oil can pass right through from the ends of the filter. What a wack job. The replacement (STP??) had rubbers on the end to prevent that.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #82
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for posting these very cool photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linseal View Post
Boxers are so ugly. I'm going to miss the simplicity of the 4A-GE
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and nothing beats the rotary for simplicity (it's a shame they never figured out how to make it more fuel efficient).

I'll take an H over a V or I engine any day.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #83
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
There's alot of little things here that I'm liking. Like the fact that the coolant inlet and outlet are exactly opposite each other, means the rad will flow and cool well. The position of the output and the control style of the alternator will make charging system upgrades (stereo guys) easy. The factory chamfered oil holes on the crank are a very nice touch. And the factory exhaust mani looks like it's begging for a slip on collector and subsequent removal of that first cat.

It looks like the crank shaft position sensor will be a bitch to change though and it doesn't look like the tone ring is keyed which would allow for easy shimming... The positioning hole may be adjustable, but even if it is, removing the tranny for an easy degree or two of timing doesn't seem worth it.

Hopefully the rear upper control arm bushings are big enough for an aftermarket adjustment kit to be offered, it's hard to tell.

All in all, great pics. THANKS
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #84
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Thanks for posting these very cool photos.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and nothing beats the rotary for simplicity (it's a shame they never figured out how to make it more fuel efficient).

I'll take an H over a V or I engine any day.
Really, they both have their advantages. V's are inherently stronger, easier to package work on and they don't rub the crap out of their lower side walls, as much. Boxers allow a lower CoG. Inline are easier to balance, compared to a V, I'm not sure about a boxer here. In the end it's all compromises.

I will admit though, I do think this is a pretty engine. I like the lack of plastic covers, and smooth timing and valve covers give it a modern look.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote