follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Fofofawcett

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Moving to Boston

Hi Everyone!
My wife and I will be moving to Boston this coming June from Baltimore, and will be bringing my BRZ with us (found a place in Jamaica Plain with an off street parking spot). I've seen the threads regarding good shops in the area and they look promising. A few questions:
Any great drives around the area?
Winter driving in the Boston area...winter tires are probably a must, though should I go full-on snow/ice or is a "performance" winter tire good enough?
Registering cars in MA...where to go/inspections required,etc.?
Anything else to recommend/know about for newbies in the area?

Thanks! We are looking forward to living in the area!

Quick parts list: Perrin 2.5 resonated exhaust and catted front pipe, mxp equal length header, Visconti tune, eibach prokit springs, koni shocks, whiteline rear subframe inserts, dss carbon fiber driveshaft, raceseng full pulley set and shift knob, grimspeed strut bar

Also, @Sony if you read this, your SSR rims are still some of the best wheels I have seen (saw your car near Harvard about a year ago or so)
Fofofawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
pseudo

Drives: 2008 Cayman S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Go full snow/ice imo.

If you are willing to drive north for some hiking/camping, the kancamagus is a pretty sweet drive in the fall.
pseudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudo For This Useful Post:
Fofofawcett (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
slockin

Drives: '13 BRZ 6MT WRB
Garage
Since you are moving to JP, are you planning on relying on public transportation? Or are you going to be DDing the BRZ?

I'd say that if you have to rely on the BRZ to get you to work in the winter, you should go with snow tires. If not, you can go with performance winter tires.

As for myself, I typically walk/take public transit to get around the city - the BRZ is mostly a weekend/road trip/pleasure vehicle for me. So, I went with performance winter tires and attempt to avoid driving in adverse conditions whenever possible.
slockin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slockin For This Useful Post:
Fofofawcett (05-10-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #4
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofofawcett View Post
Hi Everyone!
My wife and I will be moving to Boston this coming June from Baltimore, and will be bringing my BRZ with us (found a place in Jamaica Plain with an off street parking spot). I've seen the threads regarding good shops in the area and they look promising. A few questions:
Any great drives around the area?
Winter driving in the Boston area...winter tires are probably a must, though should I go full-on snow/ice or is a "performance" winter tire good enough?
Registering cars in MA...where to go/inspections required,etc.?
Anything else to recommend/know about for newbies in the area?

Thanks! We are looking forward to living in the area!

Quick parts list: Perrin 2.5 resonated exhaust and catted front pipe, mxp equal length header, Visconti tune, eibach prokit springs, koni shocks, whiteline rear subframe inserts, dss carbon fiber driveshaft, raceseng full pulley set and shift knob, grimspeed strut bar

Also, @Sony if you read this, your SSR rims are still some of the best wheels I have seen (saw your car near Harvard about a year ago or so)
The best drives are ether up in VT/NH or Western Massachusetts.
Full Ice/Snow tires are a must, no question, especially considering how brutal this past winter was.
Go to the DMV to register you car, is actually a pretty easy process, we don't have temporary plates, the DMV will hand you brand new plates right on the spot. You will need proof of insurance and your previous registration. I recommend the Boston Branch, the wait is usually VERY short...I've never waited more than 15 minutes.
Inspections are yearly and can be done at any local inspection station. Many Gas stations with mechanic garages do inspections. I've never had trouble passing even will all my mods.
Join the "86 Owners of New England" group on Facebook, most of us spend our time there. We aren't terribly active on the forums.

Thanks for the compliment on my wheels, I was probably working in the area I do a lot of events at Harvard.

Hopefully we'll see you around!

-Sony
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
Fofofawcett (05-10-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just some advice on snow. Snow removal in Greater Boston is an art form. 95% of the time it is done very well. The FR-S with snow tires is a predictable snow car. However, it really can't handle deep drifts. So my advice is leave the car at home when larger storms are pending, and give the plow drivers time to clear and salt the roads before driving. Even with good plowing, there can be heavy build up at crossroads and at the curbs. These usually disappear within a few hours.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
Fofofawcett (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hi and welcome. I lived in JP 2 hears before moving. You will need dedicates snows for sure .

Good drives? You will def need to leave the city for that one all though some back roads near the pond or arboritum offer a short span of fun driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
Fofofawcett (06-18-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
FRiSson

Regarding good driving roads. MA is densely populated and lacks long stretches of empty roads. Laws are enforced with vigor. Try one of the neighboring states if you want to exceed the limit.

Think of New England as a dysfunctional family. MA is the rich, successful guy, with a trophy house with too much stuff, who redeems himself because he is basically generous and easy-going. NH is the grandfather angrily muttering to himself in the garage and tinkering with some of the junk scattered around his yard. RI is the fun Aunt who loves to cook, wears shorts year round and is quirky as hell. Connecticut is the guy with the creased forehead who worries about being laid off from his management job. Maine is the big-boned nephew who sometimes seems stoned and other times really smart. Vermont is a the likeable laid-back brother who always wears a bemused smile and doesn't talk much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
berkbrzfan (09-23-2015), Fofofawcett (06-28-2015), Sony (06-20-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
Fofofawcett

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@FRiSson that write up was absolutely hilarious!
Been here for about a month now, roads in the city are certainly worse than Baltimore, but not too bad. Soldiers Field Road is an absolute blast with no traffic.

It's been great in Boston so far though. Everyone says wait until winter though...

I saw the other thread for recommended shops in the area: does anyone know of anything within the city/Cambridge for usual maintenance and such?
Fofofawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
FRiSson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofofawcett View Post
@FRiSson that write up was absolutely hilarious!
Been here for about a month now, roads in the city are certainly worse than Baltimore, but not too bad. Soldiers Field Road is an absolute blast with no traffic.

It's been great in Boston so far though. Everyone says wait until winter though...

I saw the other thread for recommended shops in the area: does anyone know of anything within the city/Cambridge for usual maintenance and such?
Thanks Fotofawcett. Soldiers Field Road used to be a famous speedtrap. The State Police Barracks was on it and they used to train officers there. But I think they have moved.

Nick's Garage at the corner of Aberdeen Avenue and Mt. Auburn is good for basic stuff.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Jertronic

Drives: FR-S 10 Series 120 of 2500
Garage
Welcome to Boston! I have used Michelin x-ice 3's for the last 2 winters. i downsized to 16 inch steel rims to use with the snow tires. It's also slightly more narrow tire than the OEM all seasons. If you can get the same width tire for snows i would recommend that route. The tire is skinny enough no need to go skinnier. I did fine with snow tires the last 2 seasons. I drive my FRS year round.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #11
FRiSson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jertronic View Post
Welcome to Boston! I have used Michelin x-ice 3's for the last 2 winters. i downsized to 16 inch steel rims to use with the snow tires. It's also slightly more narrow tire than the OEM all seasons. If you can get the same width tire for snows i would recommend that route. The tire is skinny enough no need to go skinnier. I did fine with snow tires the last 2 seasons. I drive my FRS year round.
I have the same package. The X-ice 3 is an amazing tire. They get even better with wear!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
berkbrzfan

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
The X-ice 3 is an amazing tire.
Yes. Sometimes I have felt more confident driving the BRZ on X-Ice 3s rather than the Altima on all seasons.
berkbrzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkbrzfan View Post
Yes. Sometimes I have felt more confident driving the BRZ on X-Ice 3s rather than the Altima on all seasons.
You should

thats sort of like saying when the sky is blue i feel like it isn't going to rain.
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
berkbrzfan

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
You should

thats sort of like saying when the sky is blue i feel like it isn't going to rain.
Interesting analogy!
berkbrzfan is offline   Reply With Quote