follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #29
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
mine hits my knife clip on my right front pocket when I get out of the car. I suspect many of you hit your steering wheels when getting in/out. Maybe?
mine is all screwed up because of my leatherman also... so sad they arent replacing.
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #30
Blizzard86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
My steering wheel is also peeling in this location. I have 16k on it. I am also in Jacksonville right now so I might wait to see if the dealership in CA will replace it. If everyone that had this issue when to there dealer then they most likely would realize it is a issue lol.
Blizzard86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #31
JohnnyBeagle

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamturbo View Post
Update:

Took the car into Toyota of Jacksonville. Toyota called me about a week later and denied my claim. They said they did a check, nobody else is reporting to have this problem.

Looks like I'm screwed....
I'm getting my replaced. Service department told me it was their third one this week.
JohnnyBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyBeagle For This Useful Post:
teamturbo (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #32
teamturbo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBeagle View Post
I'm getting my replaced. Service department told me it was their third one this week.
Johnny, do you by chance have a Toyota case number you can PM me? I want to go back to the dealership and present them with evidence others have the same issue. When I was there initially, they claimed their nation wide search of the problem comes up with zero incidents. I'd appreciate it. This steering wheel is really bothering me a lot.
teamturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #33
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If you dealer denies you because no one is having this problem. Print out this thrad and bring it in. I did this with my dealership and they ripped apart my drivers door panel and replaced the speaker in an attempt to get rid of the stupid rattle...

I live in CA and its almost always sunny. Protect you dash and wheel. My dash and wheel were getting sticky, there is a thread about it, and Ive started to treat the leather and got some sunshades. Best investment.

EDIT: also about the knife, I just keep one in the car and have one for outside of the car. Almost nicked my wheel in the BRZ and my old impreza had a lot of little scratches on the passenger door right where it meets the divers door from the clip rubbing it as I hoped in didnt buff out
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 AM   #34
SHOspazz92

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
My dealership is replacing mine. The first Dealership I went too claimed it was a "wear item". I then told them...no, my tires are a wear item, my clutch is a wear item...bushings are a wear item and at 20,000 miles all of those things are in much better shape then my steering wheel. The service writer reluctantly agreed but then went on about what a pain in the ass the process it is with SOA to get it replaced, so I just left.

The second dealership has agreed to replace it no questions asked, I'm just waiting for it to get in.

-Sam
2002 SVT Focus -....?
SHOspazz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #35
chkltcow

Drives: 2013 FRS White w/ cone marks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My FRS has less than 3000 miles on it and has started peeling/bubbling in several places. Talked to a guy this weekend that's a shop foreman at a Toyota dealership and he said he's never heard of the problem, and not having it with his FRS. I told him to search around here and there were plenty of reports of it. He said my dealership SHOULD replace it under warranty, especially if it's doing it with only 3000 miles on the clock... and if not I should give him a call.

We'll see, I guess.
chkltcow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chkltcow For This Useful Post:
frsvr4 (07-29-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #36
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Nearly any kind of oils on your hand can promote this. A project car I had which I would work on, then take for a drive without washing my hand did this. It didn't bother me because I was eventually replacing the wheel.

But yes my car has this issue, I blame it on the way I pull in/out of my driveway and the same with parking spots. I place my palm at the nine o'clock position and spin the wheel like that causing friction.
Didn't realize a dealer would replace it but I have 27,000 miles hmmmmmmm... Right now I just have black medical/sports tape over it which is more comfortable anyway.
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #37
ArgentoAtl

Drives: Argento manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamturbo View Post
Today I noticed this out of nowhere. Anyway to fix this?
I have a similar problem as seen in this thread. My problem is at about 12 o'clock on the steering wheel. When I showed it to my service writer he said to wait a little while to see if it got worse because I am in the warrantee period.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65689
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #38
chkltcow

Drives: 2013 FRS White w/ cone marks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
Nearly any kind of oils on your hand can promote this. A project car I had which I would work on, then take for a drive without washing my hand did this.
I had a 2002 WRX, which was the epitome of "cheap interior".... drove it all the time without worrying about what was on my hands... and in 110k miles it never had a single issue with the steering wheel or anything else except where my pocket knife scraped it one time while getting in the car. And this one starts falling apart at 3000 miles.
chkltcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #39
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I noticed this last week in my 2013 BRZ with 8000 miles. It's in the 7:00 position. I am keeping an eye on it to see if it gets worse.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #40
skuts?

Drives: 2013 6spd Argento FRS/1995 BMW 325i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I have 3 simple tips for all the people having this problem.

#1. Stop driving with your wrist on top of the steering wheel

#2. Only clean your steering wheel with warm water on a rag or soapy water on a rag. (do not use Leather Cleaners/interior cleaners, etc.)

#3. Try to wash you hands more or at least keep some hand sanitzer in your car and use when you enter your car to drive.

I have a little over 12k miles on my 2013 FR-S and I have yet to experience this problem or see any signs of wear on my steering wheel. I drive with my hands at the 3 and 10 o clock position almost all the time, I live in South Florida and I try to wipe down the steering wheel often.
skuts? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #41
GT86King

Drives: 2013 UltraMarine FRS
I have the same issue, guess the steering wheel material is made of crappy material
GT86King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #42
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuts? View Post
I have 3 simple tips for all the people having this problem.

#1. Stop driving with your wrist on top of the steering wheel

#2. Only clean your steering wheel with warm water on a rag or soapy water on a rag. (do not use Leather Cleaners/interior cleaners, etc.)

#3. Try to wash you hands more or at least keep some hand sanitzer in your car and use when you enter your car to drive.

I have a little over 12k miles on my 2013 FR-S and I have yet to experience this problem or see any signs of wear on my steering wheel. I drive with my hands at the 3 and 10 o clock position almost all the time, I live in South Florida and I try to wipe down the steering wheel often.

I have read somewhere that lotion and Hand Sanitizer can cause the steering wheel to peel...or could just be dealerships using that as an excuse to get out of replacing it under warranty. Any Chemists in the house?
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote