follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
jdmgevo

Drives: going to buy a frs/brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ/FRS problems...

Hello everyone, so im thinking about buying a brz or frs soon. I want the base manual or premium. Im still choosing between the brz and frs but thats not the problem. the problem is that I been reading through the "Issues | Warranty | Recalls" forum and theres just so many problems people are having with this car. Its going to be my DD so I want it to be reliable. What do you guys think I should do? Should I buy the frs/brz or just look at another car. Its the best car in my budget. I actually test drove the FRS and I loved it. So what do you guys think I should do?

jdmgevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have been DDing the car for 23k miles. Here are the issues I personally experienced:
-Various rattles in the cabin, some fixable, some not.
-Leaking tail lights (I ended up fixing myself with gasketninja gasket after dealer replaced it once).
-window seals wearing and rolling up on themselves.
-dash coming up a little in the center near vents.
-weak windshield

No regrets buying the car since I like a bit of a project, but be aware that this isn't going to be a no problems car. I like the platform, handling, and aftermarket support, so it's here to stay for me.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
jdmgevo

Drives: going to buy a frs/brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
thanks for replying guys. Last question. Is Subaru/Scion working on fixing these problems? Or are they just sitting back licking potato chips?
jdmgevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
FRSNewb

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmgevo View Post
thanks for replying guys. Last question. Is Subaru/Scion working on fixing these problems? Or are they just sitting back licking potato chips?
Unless it's a performance issue, Subaru/Scion will be enjoying all that salty deliciousness
Old 07-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Really hard to say what has and hasn't been fixed by the newer models. I have a 2013, so some of these may have been addressed, but I wouldn't count on it from what I've read.

I've personally fixed the stuff that bothers me and said to hell with the rest.

They're willing to do warranty work at least to fix some of these issues, so that's a plus.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
10k miles on mine, owned for lil over a year, and only issue I have is crickets... My car is modded as well and I hav etracked it once a month for the past 4 months.
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd say the problems are mostly coming from the first production batch, the rest are having less issues but the rattling, window seals and so on like someone have said in here are common issues that you will have to live with if you buy any of the twins.

My car came from the first production batch in here and it has been to the dealership more than it was hardparked at home, even though it is a "weekender" for me, it's more like I don't own one anymore now because of the endless issues..
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
On the other hand, I've got over 10k miles on mine since Feb and the only issue I've had is crickets, which two stroke oil quiets nicely. That's with a stage 1 flash and various drivetrain bushings.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmgevo View Post
What do you guys think I should do?
Stop reading the issues/warranty/recalls board.

Seriously, though, the car is not really having more problems than any other car model. All cars have issues, especially early in the design. The overwhelming majority of people who are not having issues with the cars are not posting here, because what's interesting about the day that nothing happened?

I've run mine through 17,000 miles in 6 months with no issues other than crickets, which are normal for this car. If you like the car, don't be scared off by reading the issues board.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Imrac (08-07-2014), litemup (07-27-2014), Wo6M (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
Wo6M
Keep Calm And Drift On~

Drives: Scion FR-S WhiteOut 6 Speed Manual
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Stop reading the issues/warranty/recalls board.

Seriously, though, the car is not really having more problems than any other car model. All cars have issues, especially early in the design. The overwhelming majority of people who are not having issues with the cars are not posting here, because what's interesting about the day that nothing happened?

I've run mine through 17,000 miles in 6 months with no issues other than crickets, which are normal for this car. If you like the car, don't be scared off by reading the issues board.
+1 on this
Wo6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #11
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
No more problems with this than any other car I've owned, and most of them have been Hondas, so that says something. Go read any other car forum, and you'll find the same bitching about this and that. The happy people are out enjoying their cars instead of posting on forums about them.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
I bought a Monogram 5 months ago and don't have any of the problems mentioned above except for the chirping fuel pump. Even that is not so bad as you can only hear it when you are outside the car. I think that many of the production problems that led to rattles and such have been eliminated in the newer models.

If you read the issues/warranty/recalls/TSB section it only seems like there are a lot of problems as it is human nature to let others know when there are problems. However, those who don't have problems with their cars often don't take the time to say so.

This is a great little car and I look forward to driving it each and every day!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i would either buy a 335i coupe in manual or another frs at this point

go drive both and make your decision

i chose the frs cuz i dont have to pay gazillion dollars to replace the fkn breaks at dealer.
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
I've had mine since April '13 and it hasn't had any true problems (like things breaking that would stop me from being able to DD it), but it has its annoying little issues.

But that's what they are annoying, but not more.

- crickets (no fix)
- leaky tails (fixed today w/ gasket ninja and putty dam)
- rear deck noises (have tried to fix, haven't gotten them to stop, turn the music up and don't hear it)
- rusty window pillars (haven't tried to ask dealer to fix, but might. It's just going to happen again though without a design change)
- various other little interior noises/rattles
- occasional clunk from suspension at very low speed (when parking, clunks once and that's it)

That's really all I've had. I wish there were factory fixes for some of this and find it annoying that they focus on releasing yet another new "series this" or "special model that" instead of taking care of existing owners.

I would however buy the car again for sure. It's so much fun and so damned sexy.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz frs