follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #575
slava

Drives: brZed
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
maybe this question has been answered but don't want to read through 27pgs. I too have rattling noises coming from the back of the car, if I take it to the dealer, are they going to give me hard time for having a modified car? Is this something they would fix under warranty?
slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #576
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
maybe this question has been answered but don't want to read through 27pgs. I too have rattling noises coming from the back of the car, if I take it to the dealer, are they going to give me hard time for having a modified car? Is this something they would fix under warranty?
This question comes up a lot with almost anything to do with cars.
Technically yes; realistically, maybe. It first depends on what mods you have, and then it's really going to depend on the dealer, some are OK fixing something under warranty if it's not directly related to mods, others will throw a fit and get really unprofessional about it. The whole warranty thing gets muddy once you start modding.

Even though the dealer SHOULD fix it, especially since the TSB might apply specifically to your situation, some will still refuse to do it under warranty, modded or not. You can try to fight it, call SoA for support, or claim the Magnuson Moss Act, which would require the dealer to prove your modifications caused the problem, but it can turn into a big headache and there's no guarantee you'll get what you want.

Do some research to find some honest, mod-friendly dealers in your area. Print the TSB from your manufacturer so they can look it up more easily, and be nice and courteous. If they get defensive just mention some people from your car club helped you out. Don't mention your mods, that will just make them a focal point (unless they ask). Walking in like King ****head spouting legal jargon is gonna get you nowhere. Good luck!
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
slava (05-28-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 AM   #577
cpnslow

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
This is what I hear in my BRZ. You can hear the snap twice clearly between 10 and 11 seconds. It's been in to the dealership 4 times in 2 months to diagnose it. The most recent drop off was 7 days ago, and they still have it. I went in for an update today. Apparently, the anti-corrosive paint that the whole body gets submerged in fills in the gaps between the two welded panels in the rear where the snapping sound is coming from. The combination of the gap and the paint in-between is apparently making this noise. Their solution is to strip back this layer and lubricate the gap. I'm not entirely convinced that excess paint in a gap can create this loud of a sound. However, the amount of work they've been putting into this, hopefully they know what they're doing. I should get the car back tomorrow, hopefully without issue this time. Fingers crossed.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAujlh1eNWg"]BRZ Knocking Sound - YouTube[/ame]

cpnslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #578
CJB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I finally found the source of my BRZ's "ticking". I'll post more details if anyone thinks they may have the same issue, but for now I'll keep it short.

It was coming from the brackets that mount the rear seat to the car's frame. No, not the hooks on the top that have been mentioned before, but the brackets on each side at the base of the rear seat. I didn't take any pictures, but you can see what I'm talking about in this write-up explaining how to remove the rear seat. It's the black bracket on each side (labeled "hidden bracket" in the linked post).

I removed the bottom part of the seats, loosened the three bolts of each bracket, added some grease behind the bracket and re-tightened them. That was it. For good measure, I went back later and added some thin adhesive felt where the brackets make contact with the frame of the car, but that may not even be necessary.

So if you hear a ticking/cracking sound when backing down the driveway, hitting a bump or taking a sharp turn, this may be something to investigate.

Last edited by CJB; 08-07-2014 at 12:02 AM.
CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJB For This Useful Post:
Ayrton (04-20-2015), Sigh-on-Rice (08-21-2014), TofuJoe (10-07-2016)
Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #579
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
Theres a TSB for it...

So the dealer should be willing to fix it (the welds issue) under warranty?
pantdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #580
TONYpepperon1

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
I finally found the source of my BRZ's "ticking". I'll post more details if anyone thinks they may have the same issue, but for now I'll keep it short.

It was coming from the brackets that mount the rear seat to the car's frame. No, not the hooks on the top that have been mentioned before, but the brackets on each side at the base of the rear seat. I didn't take any pictures, but you can see what I'm talking about in this write-up explaining how to remove the rear seat. It's the black bracket on each side (labeled "hidden bracket" in the linked post).

I removed the bottom part of the seats, loosened the three bolts of each bracket, added some grease behind the bracket and re-tightened them. That was it. For good measure, I later went back later and added some thin adhesive felt where the brackets make contact with the frame of the car, but that may not even be necessary.

So if you hear a ticking/cracking sound when backing down the driveway, hitting a bump or taking a sharp turn, this may be something to investigate.
I do have this issue and I see what your reffering to with the hidden bracket. How did you come to this conclusion. I can't pinpoint the sound but I was sure it was coming from some place higher up.
TONYpepperon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TONYpepperon1 For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (04-21-2015)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #581
CJB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYpepperon1 View Post
I do have this issue and I see what your reffering to with the hidden bracket. How did you come to this conclusion. I can't pinpoint the sound but I was sure it was coming from some place higher up.
I was sure it was coming from higher up as well, until I was proven otherwise. I came to the conclusion after checking the area simply because I had already checked everything else. When I removed the bottom of the rear seat and held my hand on the bracket while backing down my driveway, I could actually feel the bracket move very slightly.

The bottom cushion of the rear seat is easy to remove, so it's worth checking.
CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJB For This Useful Post:
TONYpepperon1 (07-28-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #582
grostoine

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My car is doing a ticking noise in the front right hand side of the car... I can do it by ''pumping'' the suspension by putting my hand on the right side of the strut tower bar... I can clearly hear it when rolling and my exhaust is pretty loud. Does it happened to anyone ?
grostoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #583
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
well im starting to hear creaking noises from the car, it kind of sounds like bolts are loose or something... its not the noise of the rear deck popping because its a different kind of noise...
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #584
irxproductions

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2015 Speed Triple
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
well im starting to hear creaking noises from the car, it kind of sounds like bolts are loose or something... its not the noise of the rear deck popping because its a different kind of noise...
Are they coming from the rear deck? The rear deck can produce a variety of different interesting (and all annoying) noises. My dealership had an excellent tech who would ride around with me so I could point out the noises and then he'd track them down.

The car has been in 3-4 times where he's fixed spot welds, adjusted suspension bits and pieces, etc. At this point, I think he's gotten most of them ironed out (just in time for an all new series of buzzes and noises to come from the front of the cabin).

That being said, even though Car and Driver loved the BRZ/FRS, their 40,000-mile Long Term Test Wrap-Up indicates that buzzes and rattles are in this car's future (it is a Subie, after all).

If you're still under the warranty, my recommendation is to check with your dealer and see if you can have a tech ride around with you so you can point out the noises you'd like fixed.
irxproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irxproductions For This Useful Post:
frs10 (08-14-2014), Nu_era (08-21-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #585
Tuan

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tuan
Just got the TSB fix done by the dealer - issue resolved!

I had to shop around for a few dealers - the first two pointed at my "modified suspension" and told me they wouldn't perform the fix.
Tuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuan For This Useful Post:
irxproductions (08-15-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #586
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irxproductions View Post
Are they coming from the rear deck? The rear deck can produce a variety of different interesting (and all annoying) noises. My dealership had an excellent tech who would ride around with me so I could point out the noises and then he'd track them down.

The car has been in 3-4 times where he's fixed spot welds, adjusted suspension bits and pieces, etc. At this point, I think he's gotten most of them ironed out (just in time for an all new series of buzzes and noises to come from the front of the cabin).

That being said, even though Car and Driver loved the BRZ/FRS, their 40,000-mile Long Term Test Wrap-Up indicates that buzzes and rattles are in this car's future (it is a Subie, after all).

If you're still under the warranty, my recommendation is to check with your dealer and see if you can have a tech ride around with you so you can point out the noises you'd like fixed.

thanks man... but what a pain... this seems like its gonna be a long process
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #587
foompla

Drives: hot lava frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Just got the TSB fix done by the dealer - issue resolved!

I had to shop around for a few dealers - the first two pointed at my "modified suspension" and told me they wouldn't perform the fix.
Which dealer did you go to?
foompla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #588
Tuan

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by foompla View Post
Which dealer did you go to?
Actually, near by to you at Carson Toyota. Ask for the shop foreman, Erik.
Tuan is offline   Reply With Quote