follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subaru: I'm coming back to you. I hope your quality is on point.

I bought a new in 2004 WRX, and it completely put a bad taste in my mouth for Subarus. While I liked the turbocharged and AWD aspects of the car, the rest of it was so unrefined that it was a complete turn-off. Hell, I still think it was ridiculous that my car prior to the WRX, a used 1995 Integra GS-R, had a much better transmission than the WRX in terms of clutch and shifter feel. Not to mention the Integra was much more refined overall than the Subaru.

After reading about the BRZ, seeing it at the DC Auto Show and sitting in it, reading some more, watching videos, and finally driving it this past week; I still can't believe Subaru turned me back around. Well, of course Toyota was the catalyst to this chemical reaction... I cannot deny a certain refinement to the car... dare I say, there is an almost Honda like quality (you know, back when they gave a shit about building engaging cars) to the BRZ that I feel would not be present if Subaru were left to its own devices.

Speaking of Honda's, one of my favorite features of the TL I now own is that even after 50,000 miles, it still feels just about as good as the day it was slapped together. I can only hope that Subaru will now finally match Honda at this performance metric with Toyota's help. *I would also like to pause for a moment and reflect on how crazy that last sentence is* I know the BRZ is being built at Subaru's plant, but so are the Toyota variants of the car. I can only hope Toyota, being the prime financial stakeholder, was wise enough to inject some of its manufacturing and quality control ethos into Subaru.

Hey, Subaru, I know I am just one guy; but if you screw this car up in terms of production quality, then as Danny DeVito would say, "You're dead to me." This, of course, barres some of the first run niggles that can be found. I am talking longer term ownership here. This is also not some sort of weird threat. It is just that cars like this are not really built anymore. In a sea of SUVs and lame-o-matic transmissions, cars like the BRZ are somewhat of an endangered species. That's why I hope you are taking this car as seriously as I am. Don't let something like poor quality ruin this car... and my opinion of you as a company.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I agree with this. My legacy with 4,xxx miles on it already has 3 or 4 annoying rattles and had 2 recalls.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Econobox. Deal with it.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Econobox. Deal with it.
I'd agree with you if we were talking about a car built off the Impreza chassis, aimed towards the Impreza's customer demographic. But we are not, so I don't.

Last edited by Lighting Red; 04-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Lighting Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Red View Post
I bought a new in 2004 WRX, and it completely put a bad taste in my mouth for Subarus. While I liked the turbocharged and AWD aspects of the car, the rest of it was so unrefined that it was a complete turn-off. Hell, I still think it was ridiculous that my car prior to the WRX, a used 1995 Integra GS-R, had a much better transmission than the WRX in terms of clutch and shifter feel. Not to mention the Integra was much more refined overall than the Subaru.

After reading about the BRZ, seeing it at the DC Auto Show and sitting in it, reading some more, watching videos, and finally driving it this past week; I still can't believe Subaru turned me back around. Well, of course Toyota was the catalyst to this chemical reaction... I cannot deny a certain refinement to the car... dare I say, there is an almost Honda like quality (you know, back when they gave a shit about building engaging cars) to the BRZ that I feel would not be present if Subaru were left to its own devices.

Speaking of Honda's, one of my favorite features of the TL I now own is that even after 50,000 miles, it still feels just about as good as the day it was slapped together. I can only hope that Subaru will now finally match Honda at this performance metric with Toyota's help. *I would also like to pause for a moment and reflect on how crazy that last sentence is* I know the BRZ is being built at Subaru's plant, but so are the Toyota variants of the car. I can only hope Toyota, being the prime financial stakeholder, was wise enough to inject some of its manufacturing and quality control ethos into Subaru.

Hey, Subaru, I know I am just one guy; but if you screw this car up in terms of production quality, then as Danny DeVito would say, "You're dead to me." This, of course, barres some of the first run niggles that can be found. I am talking longer term ownership here. This is also not some sort of weird threat. It is just that cars like this are not really built anymore. In a sea of SUVs and lame-o-matic transmissions, cars like the BRZ are somewhat of an endangered species. That's why I hope you are taking this car as seriously as I am. Don't let something like poor quality ruin this car... and my opinion of you as a company.
Another great post...and couldn't agree more. I'm worried about this car holding together...but I'm willing to take a leap of faith as well...but you'll only fool me once Subaru.
Interesting comparison to Honda as well. They have most certainly lost their way. I have a 2004 TSX...that now has 200K on it...yes I said 200K. That car has been bulletproof and for its time, set new standards for 4 cylinder luxury performance albeit a front driver.
Handled well enough (although not even close to BRZ league)...was fairly responsive, 200hp, 166ft-lbs sound familiar? Except 3200 big heavy lbs. which meant about 7.4 0-60
And by the way...paid about 29K for it in '04. So I'm hoping lightning can strike twice for me...and the BRZ seems like a better although less luxurious version of what I saw and experienced in the TSX...
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
hah I have a 2003 Accord 4 cyl which is essentially the same except less luxury, just hit 105k miles. Only oil changes and regular maintenance. I hope the BRZ can be the same thing
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
robotvoice

Drives: 07 STI
I owned a 2005 WRX and a 2008 STI and both cars were very reliable and super fun cars to own. OP, a manual AWD Subaru is NEVER going to shift like any Honda/Acura out there...they're two completely different animals. With that said, the first mods I would do to my Subarus was upgrade to some stiffer shifter bushings and throw in a short shifter. After doing this, the shifting feel is MUCH improved and more enjoyable while daily driving, a very simple fix.

I have no doubt the BRZ is going to be a very reliable car. It might have some small issues pop up since it's a brand new platform but that's to be expected with any new car like this.
robotvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
arkybrz

Drives: '11 WRX DGM Ltd., '13 BRZ SSM Ltd.
Subarus have always been known for having rattles and little quirks. The transmission in the WRXs is vague/rubbery and 2nd gear was a weak point in early models. That's why shifter bushings are one of the first mods a lot of owners do. At heart, it's still an econobox with a powerful engine.

That being said, I didn't buy my '02 WRX for its interior/fit and finish and the car has proven to be extremely reliable. My '11 has rattles and what not, but I knew that would be the case and mechanically it has been perfect so far. It's part of owning a Subaru. I'm betting the Toyota relationship will help fix some of those issues. As long as the car is mechanically reliable, it won't really bother me.

I get where you're coming from though, especially if you're comparing it to a Honda/Acura. I fully expect it to be quite reliable, but not without some annoyances and rattles.
arkybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
FLHC

Drives: WRX
My WRX is my all time favorite car I've driven in yet. I travel for my company and have rented a lot of other cars out there, but my WRX surpasses them for me in comfort as well as driving ability. So it's pretty much reverse to me when you say you hope toyota puts its manufacturing and quality control ethos in them.

Every company has their few bad eggs, you guys must've gotten a few. Subaru, by no means, is perfect, but I enjoy driving my subaru than any of the toyotas I've driven/rented

But as far as interior goes... subarus are still econoboxes..
FLHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHC View Post
My WRX is my all time favorite car I've driven in yet. I travel for my company and have rented a lot of other cars out there, but my WRX surpasses them for me in comfort as well as driving ability. So it's pretty much reverse to me when you say you hope toyota puts its manufacturing and quality control ethos in them.

Every company has their few bad eggs, you guys must've gotten a few. Subaru, by no means, is perfect, but I enjoy driving my subaru than any of the toyotas I've driven/rented

But as far as interior goes... subarus are still econoboxes..
See that's the thing, I actually think the interior of the BRZ is kind of nice. It tells me that they care. I want the car to sell well. That is why I am really hoping they do better than their past track record on quality. Also, to be clear, I am mainly focusing on the craftsmanship side of quality. I think it is safe to say that Subaru builds a very reliable vehicle. If a zombie apocalypse goes down, you'll find me scooping undead brains off a top-mount intercooler as I make my way around.

It is also worth noting that the BRZ, unlike the Impreza, is a car that does not seem to have any off-road pretenses. I am hoping for tighter tolerances and a little less rattling befitting an on-road vehicle.

I will concede that we are not talking about a luxury vehicle over here, but even Honda and Toyota slaps their lower rung cars together generally better than Subaru does their entire line. I will also admit that rattles do piss the hell out of me. Sooo... yeah.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Red View Post
I can only hope Toyota, being the prime financial stakeholder, was wise enough to inject some of its manufacturing and quality control ethos into Subaru.
Being the primary stakeholder for this project, I imagine Toyota would've had large say in installing quality manufacturing robots/tooling and mandated their best practices. Same with other details such as setting and keeping within design tolerances and selecting parts suppliers. This has been Toyota's MO in other past joint ventures with GM. Manufacturing and quality control of this car would be more Toyota-influenced (vs. the rest of Subaru's line of cars) for it to literally wear Toyota's badge of approval.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I'm sorry but does Toyota still put out quality cars?

I honestly don't know. I know they did in the 90's because that's the only I have had experience with but from what I've seen on a more recent camry...it's filled with mismatched color LED lights and they aren't anything more or less than average with NVH and relevant "quality" criteria considered.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
For the most part Subarus are extremely reliable vehicles despite the occasional rattles and clunks, that's why they have a program where people put badges on their cars saying how many they've owned... They have pretty much the highest brand loyalty in the industry. The BRZ will be my 9th Subaru...

I put 100K hard miles on my 2002 WRX in only a few years and nothing ever broke on it that wasn't self inflicted.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Being the primary stakeholder for this project, I imagine Toyota would've had large say in installing quality manufacturing robots/tooling and mandated their best practices. Same with other details such as setting and keeping within design tolerances and selecting parts suppliers. This has been Toyota's MO in other past joint ventures with GM. Manufacturing and quality control of this car would be more Toyota-influenced (vs. the rest of Subaru's line of cars) for it to literally wear Toyota's badge of approval.
I seriously doubt Subaru is doing anything different than they would for any other car they build. They have been one of the only growing automakers in the last few years for a reason, and it's not because they are making terrible cars.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote