follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #43
JuniorAWD

Drives: GTR 9.0@170_XT 10.8@130_GC 8.3@165
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thread should say I installed something wrong and blew my motor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Overboost fuel cut would've saved it. I never go WOT on a turbo car without one. Learned that lesson the first time mine blew off, and it's saved a few motors since.
Actually over-boost FUEL CUT will help further the problem. If your solely relying on that to save a motor, you might have more lessons coming your way.

The fuel cut on these cars is overly aggressive. When the car over shoots boost, which creates a high cylinder pressure in it's own then suddenly CUTS FUEL to "save" the motor the cylinder pressure spikes even higher. It's basically one big detonation.

So while it can save you sometimes, on higher boost applications with the shitty cast piston and crappy little rods it can also hinder as well. This is even the case with the extra custom maps I setup to soften the FUEL CUT..

@nelsmar you care to comment on the aggressive overboost? I know we had a conversation about it.

You know what would have saved this motor ultimately? Following the instructions that came with the waste-gate and using loctite on the fittings. This way no one would be pointing fingers and Kai would have a running car still. Like I told Kai elsewhere if this was a shop error, I would be the first one who makes sure the shop pays for the mistake. Unfortunately Kai was the installer. This won't be the first or last time someone does this, hopefully a few people see it and learn from it though.

A little off topic but....
You guys and your tuner/tuning witch hunts make me laugh. A wheel could fall off someone's car and there will always be one guy asking who tuned it and claiming maybe it's the tuners fault.
For the amount of people who think they know every thing on these boards, I see a lot of guys that don't seem to realize that your double and tripling the stock Hp on these cars. Shit will break, it will cost you money.
600whp@ 32psi
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JuniorAWD For This Useful Post:
PrimeMotoring (07-24-2014), Rampage (07-24-2014), s2d4 (07-24-2014), sklimo (07-24-2014), The Racers Line (07-24-2014), whataboutbob (07-24-2014), woode (07-24-2014), xxscaxx (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #44
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
So why are we fi these cars instead of buying a wrx, sti, genesis 2.0t, 370z, 335i, Ore any turbo car stock, worth factory warranty? So glad I'm gonna stay NA
Same story, different platform.

Everyone wanted to swap to a SR in a S13/14, and make "easy" boost. The part about it being "easy" is that the manufacturer (Nissan) already did the bulk of R&D on the engine, so there's a better starting point.

Those wanting to boost their stock KA24 engines could achieve factory-like levels of reliability, but that involved proper tuning (and proper install of parts). This got expensive real quick...

The chips fall the same way... install needs to be correct, tuning needs to be correct. Just because you buy a factory turbocharged car doesn't mean you will end up better, it just means a larger company has done the R&D and backs it up with a warranty because of the more extensive testing.

-alex
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
OICU812 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #45
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Same story, different platform.

Everyone wanted to swap to a SR in a S13/14, and make "easy" boost. The part about it being "easy" is that the manufacturer (Nissan) already did the bulk of R&D on the engine, so there's a better starting point.

Those wanting to boost their stock KA24 engines could achieve factory-like levels of reliability, but that involved proper tuning (and proper install of parts). This got expensive real quick...

The chips fall the same way... install needs to be correct, tuning needs to be correct. Just because you buy a factory turbocharged car doesn't mean you will end up better, it just means a larger company has done the R&D and backs it up with a warranty because of the more extensive testing.

-alex
This car wasnt made for fi. remember, pure handling delight.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #46
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
so my motor blew up on dyno today jdl kit gtx3071

Missed some stuff

Last edited by ecko04; 07-24-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #47
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So why are we fi these cars instead of buying a wrx, sti, genesis 2.0t, 370z, 335i, Ore any turbo car stock, worth factory warranty? So glad I'm gonna stay NA
Because if done right and tuned right there is no issue? Fear of unknown leaves many with no knowledge...obviously you read and bleed the negatives but if you make notes all those that have had motors blow and major problems come down to install or bad tune...there are tons of boosted folks here with ZERO issues actually and many with high mileage. It's about doing it right day one, educating yourself and you'll be fine. Don't want boost? That's fine then go ride in one that is you'll hate driving your non boosted one after it's "that" noticeable especially if you drive in any amount of elevation changes.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #48
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Where was the overboost protection? If it failed, why?
There's more to it then that read PMs post...
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #49
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
How many boosted FRS/BRZs have you driven in and where? Street, track, mountains???
Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #50
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
So you can't have FI and have it handle, hmmmmm....... I think there are a few people that would disagree with you on that including myself.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #51
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Because if done right and tuned right there is no issue? Fear of unknown leaves many with no knowledge...obviously you read and bleed the negatives but if you make notes all those that have had motors blow and major problems come down to install or bad tune...there are tons of boosted folks here with ZERO issues actually and many with high mileage. It's about doing it right day one, educating yourself and you'll be fine. Don't want boost? That's fine then go ride in one that is you'll hate driving your non boosted one after it's "that" noticeable especially if you drive in any amount of elevation changes.
I have a 2012 wrx. Boost isnt all that, nice to have when passing other cars on the highway.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #52
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,831 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
24K+ on my Innovate SC / Delicious tune, 58,800+ total with tons of autox days.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
mfbmike (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #53
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm not taking sides here as i know more than anyone motors let go perhaps a lot more often than what people see or read online...It's part of the game and anyone wanting to play should be prepared.

I've personally lost a motor before due to a melted wastegate line, it was 100% my fault and a last minute hack job to get on the dyno at 2am to make an event while waiting on AN lines to show up the next day. However i've never seen these fittings or plugs back out or completely fall out. I've also never used locktight nor seen anything in Tial's instructions (I just opened a few MVS and MVR gates here at the shop to check) to do so on anything other than the water fittings, which makes sense for water based on the thread used. I've usually found because of the difference in materials in the gate vs. the fitting the fittings are usually tighter and harder to get out over time due to expansion/heat cycles, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse@JDLAutodesign For This Useful Post:
PrimeMotoring (07-26-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #54
JuniorAWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
There's a bit of misinformation in this thread regarding some things

Whether there was an installer issue, (looks like there was) any person even mildly experienced with tuning/racing/owning know the importance of running fuel cuts when things slip into undesired parameters. ESPECIALLY overboost.

To say "fuel cut may cause a failure" is nonsense, and to use that as reasoning as to not run one falls outside what I would describe as common sense.

This isn't opinion. It's fact.

This isn't one vendor attacking another. If it's seen that way as others have suggested it will, then I don't want to continue being here if something's can't be simply discussed because one person is sensitive about it.

If you stuff up (which is putting it politely if you're tuning a car and not allowing for overboost) you need to be accountable and others warned. What if the car overboosted because of a faulty diaphragm in the ewg, and you installed it? Going to ring Tial and blame them? No. Because you as an experienced tuner know to allow for watch for these.

The sad thing for the OP, is that this company NOW KNOWS to watch for over boost.

Oh and banning jamesm for saying the thing I am right now? ****s.

If I've done anything wrong in my post, then this forum is a censored, advertorial based, money grubbing venture, under the guise of an open, informing forum.
Maybe you didn't read the thread or my post.

1. The car had over-boost protection for starters.

2. LOL at I "now know to watch for over-boost situations"?.. Who are you and what have you accomplished again? I like to think my 14yrs of tuning knowledge might qualify me as experienced... If it has boost, it has overboost safeties. I don't think I would be trusted to tune 15-1600whp boosted street cars for big name shops or 7-8 second 4-6cyls, even your 500+whp FAs like @Hawaiian and a few others if I didn't know that boost limiters need to be in place... but thank you for your opinion on what I know or dont know..

3. Your "FACT"
Do you know how cylinder pressure works? I love your "facts" of fuel cut and I loved JamesMs post about "theories".. Goes to show how much actual experience some of the tuning "gurus" around here actually have. I don't need to sit here and give you all knowing gurus a lesson in how cylinder pressure works. Fuel cut causes an abrupt SPIKE IN CYLINDER PRESSURE, on a motor that is already making high cylinder pressures from its high compression and now forced induction.

Do some research, or maybe if you do have any actually knowledge look at progressive fail safes for boost, rpm.. or full engine stall fail safes for stuff like fuel pressure drops and oil pressure in some of the standalone ecus. Fuel cut works relatively well on cars that are not running excessive cylinder pressures from high compression to start with. With that said EVEN STOCK STI/WRXS will crack ring lands from spikes in cylinder pressure like detonation from the lean condition at PeakTQ in the stock tune, hitting the rev limiter hard on the old cars ( they now use a progressive closing of the throttle in the mapping to avoid this) or from hitting the boost limiter when they boost creep. Shitty cast parts don't like spikes in cylinder pressure.

On a side note, I didn't know they banned JamesM.. I was looking forward to the arguments and I was sad to see his comments gone.

Jr
600whp@ 32psi
The Following User Says Thank You to JuniorAWD For This Useful Post:
PrimeMotoring (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #55
JuniorAWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I'll speak up too. This nonstop banning for people trying to inform the community is garbage. This is only hurting the community. Mods...please exercise some restraint, this type of activity will only lead to the downfall of this forum

But whats the use, I'll be gone soon (for simply pointing out facts), as well as this thread soon enough...

Guys like you take the internet way to serious. You should start some sort of forums rights support group. This way you guys can talk about how bad the forum is because they dont like your OPINIONS.. or as you call them "facts"
600whp@ 32psi
The Following User Says Thank You to JuniorAWD For This Useful Post:
PrimeMotoring (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #56
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
There's a reason why @jamesm has separated himself as the clear cut best tuner for this platform. The results speak for themselves.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
14BRZ (07-25-2014), ATL BRZ (07-24-2014), Lonewolf (07-24-2014), Luis_GT (07-24-2014), sw20kosh (07-24-2014), themajesticone (07-24-2014)

Closed Thread