follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Evap lines under the Intake Manifold - Easier fix?

I had to do the evap line clip install last night, which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be after reading up on it, but it was still fairly time consuming. Big thanks to whoever it was that suggested removing the AC Compressor. it made it 100x easier.

Anyways, I'm going to be installing an ECU controlled boost solenoid tonight which will mean my evap solenoid won't be used. If the evap solenoid is disconnected, couldn't you just run a vacuum line directly from the port behind the throttle body to the line near the drivers side fuel injector cover? I don't think there would be any issues since the evap system isn't connected, and if you haven't already installed the clips, you basically only have to deal with the throttle body clip and not have to remove your belt and AC Compressor.

For others, this would turn a 1 hour job into a 10 minute job I'm thinking, and avoid all of the burns and cuts that come along with it. I did mine while the engine was hot, which in hindsight, probably wasn't the best idea haha

Good idea or bad idea?

edit: Also, since it's somewhat believed that the evap solenoid is fairly useless to begin with, couldn't you also bypass it regardless of it's connector being replaced by an EBCS?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
I had to do the evap line clip install last night, which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be after reading up on it, but it was still fairly time consuming. Big thanks to whoever it was that suggested removing the AC Compressor. it made it 100x easier.

Anyways, I'm going to be installing an ECU controlled boost solenoid tonight which will mean my evap solenoid won't be used. If the evap solenoid is disconnected, couldn't you just run a vacuum line directly from the port behind the throttle body to the line near the drivers side fuel injector cover? I don't think there would be any issues since the evap system isn't connected, and if you haven't already installed the clips, you basically only have to deal with the throttle body clip and not have to remove your belt and AC Compressor.

For others, this would turn a 1 hour job into a 10 minute job I'm thinking, and avoid all of the burns and cuts that come along with it. I did mine while the engine was hot, which in hindsight, probably wasn't the best idea haha

Good idea or bad idea?

edit: Also, since it's somewhat believed that the evap solenoid is fairly useless to begin with, couldn't you also bypass it regardless of it's connector being replaced by an EBCS?
You would be effectively pressurizing your tank with whatever PSI you are pushing. The solution would be to cap both those ports. Which @jamesm did

Following your line of thought, you could install a line that is plugged in the middle thus not allowing air to move in between them.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
protpibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
You would be effectively pressurizing your tank with whatever PSI you are pushing. The solution would be to cap both those ports. Which @jamesm did

Following your line of thought, you could install a line that is plugged in the middle thus not allowing air to move in between them.
Yeah, that's a good point. Either method sounds like a good option
Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
i just removed my manifold, completely ditched the solenoid and put a vacuum cap/clamp on the port under the manifold that is used to hook up to. no more leaks, for good this time
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-12-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
onzippy

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm... Question: Is the evap solenoid normally open or close when electrically disconnected?
I had already put clamps on the hose from the evap solenoid and manifold so i just disconnected the wire and connected it to the EBCS. The evap canister solenoid is still there with all hoses connected and clamped. Is it a manifold leak now?
thanks.
onzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
i just removed my manifold, completely ditched the solenoid and put a vacuum cap/clamp on the port under the manifold that is used to hook up to. no more leaks, for good this time
Florida ok with that on the emissions end? Or forceable ready in tuning?

I removed the solenoid and capped lines on my forester cause the barb broke. But here it comes at the cost of being on thin ice for emissions
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
Florida ok with that on the emissions end? Or forceable ready in tuning?

I removed the solenoid and capped lines on my forester cause the barb broke. But here it comes at the cost of being on thin ice for emissions
We don't have any sort of emissions at all, not even visual inspections .
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
protpibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onzippy View Post
Hmmm... Question: Is the evap solenoid normally open or close when electrically disconnected?
I had already put clamps on the hose from the evap solenoid and manifold so i just disconnected the wire and connected it to the EBCS. The evap canister solenoid is still there with all hoses connected and clamped. Is it a manifold leak now?
thanks.
It's an assumption, but I would guess that it's closed when off. If it were open, the vent lines would be technically open to atmosphere and allowing evaporated fuel out. I think the purpose of the evap system is to capture evaporated fuel and dump it into the intake manifold when the car is running.

I'm not sure if that's correct or not, so take it with a grain of salt
Sportsguy83 (05-13-2014)