follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #3627
BA9092
Captain Slow

Drives: '18 BRZ Limited PP 6MT ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
The toe is fine imo.

There is no reason they shouldn't have gotten the camber where you wanted seeing this. It's OK for now as a DD imo, but I would find a new place next time you get an alignment. Should wear bad but just rotate your tires like you should and it won't be any worry at all.
Thank you again! Appreciate it.
BA9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #3628
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA9092 View Post
Thank you again! Appreciate it.
No prob. Also wanted to edit that should have said "shouldn't wear bad" lol.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #3629
BA9092
Captain Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
No prob. Also wanted to edit that should have said "shouldn't wear bad" lol.
Oh, that's even better. Lol. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #3630
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA9092 View Post
Any recommendations?
GSpeed or Doghouse at MSR Cresson, but they may be too far to be worth a drive. I would find an old fashioned alignment shop, locally I go to a 'brake and alignment' shop whose clientele is probably 70 percent pickup trucks. I get exactly what I want for $75 and it takes the guy 30 minutes tops to perform all the work.

Oh, your shop is 'formerly known as COBB Tuning Plano', that explains a lot.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #3631
BA9092
Captain Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
GSpeed or Doghouse at MSR Cresson, but they may be too far to be worth a drive. I would find an old fashioned alignment shop, locally I go to a 'brake and alignment' shop whose clientele is probably 70 percent pickup trucks. I get exactly what I want for $75 and it takes the guy 30 minutes tops to perform all the work.

Oh, your shop is 'formerly known as COBB Tuning Plano', that explains a lot.
Well, Cresson isn't too far from Texas Track Works where I went before. But I just didn't have the time to drive down this time around and they were busy during the only time I had off. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #3632
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
CSG and RCE tag-team suspension Q&A thread! Ask us anything!

I’m sending a set of coilovers for rebuild. For AST 5100. It has the option of Double Digressive Pistons. What are the benefits of this option? I have not used this set of coilovers before. I got them from a friend but needs rebuilding since one shocks is leaking. It is an opportunity that I see that can help me learn more about suspension when I move on from the stocks. Car is a daily, occasional canyon drives, 1-2 track at this time and soon will see more track days (4-5 annually and slowly going for more). Suggestions and information will be appreciated!

Choice of tires will be a GTRadial SX2 in stock wheels then move to a 17x9 size of wheel but same tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tintumz22; 04-24-2019 at 02:12 PM.
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #3633
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
I'm fighting the age old question: Springs and Struts, or Coilovers?

When I do a search and read through old threads, I see a ton of consensus that "coils will never be as comfortable as springs and struts". In some of the newer threads though, I'm seeing claims that good modern coilovers can simultaneously handle better than stock, and be more forgiving in daily driver situations.

I'm building up my car to be both comfortable and forgiving as a daily car, but also hopefully handle a little tighter than stock for canyon runs and AutoX (STX class, driven by a potato in a helmet). I assume that means enough dampening to not be underdamped at high Hz for road bumps, but stiff enough to hold the road at lower Hz for cornering? (Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm an electrical guy, I slept through Mechanics 1)

So are the newer mid-range coilovers capable of providing both when properly adjusted? (Tein Flex A's, Ohlins Road and Track, KW V3s, etc). Or is the answer still Eibachs and Konis for handling without rattling teeth out?
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #3634
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMonk View Post

When I do a search and read through old threads, I see a ton of consensus that "coils will never be as comfortable as springs and struts". In some of the newer threads though, I'm seeing claims that good modern coilovers can simultaneously handle better than stock, and be more forgiving in daily driver situations.

I'm building up my car to be both comfortable and forgiving as a daily car, but also hopefully handle a little tighter than stock for canyon runs and AutoX (STX class, driven by a potato in a helmet).

So are the newer mid-range coilovers capable of providing both when properly adjusted? (Tein Flex A's, Ohlins Road and Track, KW V3s, etc). Or is the answer still Eibachs and Konis for handling without rattling teeth out?

coilovers. Remember, a coilover is literally, a spring and a strut, but usually at least somewhat paired up better than a haphazard combination.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
MaverickMonk (06-12-2019), nikitopo (06-12-2019), SexyPirates (06-18-2021), strat61caster (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #3635
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMonk View Post

I'm building up my car to be both comfortable and forgiving as a daily car, but also hopefully handle a little tighter than stock for canyon runs and AutoX (STX class, driven by a potato in a helmet). I assume that means enough dampening to not be underdamped at high Hz for road bumps, but stiff enough to hold the road at lower Hz for cornering? (Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm an electrical guy, I slept through Mechanics 1)

If you're willing to make the trip up near BWI airport, you could go for a ride in my BRZ with coilovers and see what a good quality set up at a reasonable cost can feel like

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
MaverickMonk (06-16-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #3636
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
coilovers. Remember, a coilover is literally, a spring and a strut, but usually at least somewhat paired up better than a haphazard combination.
Mike, maybe you and Andrew can clarify something for me. My understanding of the difference between coilovers and struts is that a strut literally and actively controls the path along which the wheel moves. All a coil over does is keep the car off the ground and control the actions of the spring. The path of the wheel is dependent on the linkage between the hub and the chassis. So if a car has a lower control arm and perhaps a sway bar or something for longitudinal locating, but no upper control arm we're looking at a strut.

If your wheel motion is controlled by upper and lower control arms and the "suspending" part of the suspension (spring and damper) consists of a single assembly it's a coilover.

If you have upper and lower control arms and separate springs and shock absorbers you have a 1970 Chevelle.

Thus, on our cars the front unit is a strut. What makes it a coilover is the adjustable spring perch and the fact that we call it a "coilover." ?????

Our rear units are coil overs from the factory. What makes them "coilovers" from a marketing perspective is the fact that we call them "coilovers."

My mid-oughts F-150 uses a coilover on the front.

My '70 Chevelle SS used a conventional/archaic upper/lower control arm
with separate springs and shocks (at the front) like most other domestic iron of the period.

???????
Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #3637
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Mike, maybe you and Andrew can clarify something for me. My understanding of the difference between coilovers and struts is that a strut literally and actively controls the path along which the wheel moves. All a coil over does is keep the car off the ground and control the actions of the spring. The path of the wheel is dependent on the linkage between the hub and the chassis. So if a car has a lower control arm and perhaps a sway bar or something for longitudinal locating, but no upper control arm we're looking at a strut.

If your wheel motion is controlled by upper and lower control arms and the "suspending" part of the suspension (spring and damper) consists of a single assembly it's a coilover.

If you have upper and lower control arms and separate springs and shock absorbers you have a 1970 Chevelle.

Thus, on our cars the front unit is a strut. What makes it a coilover is the adjustable spring perch and the fact that we call it a "coilover." ?????

Our rear units are coil overs from the factory. What makes them "coilovers" from a marketing perspective is the fact that we call them "coilovers."

My mid-oughts F-150 uses a coilover on the front.

My '70 Chevelle SS used a conventional/archaic upper/lower control arm
with separate springs and shocks (at the front) like most other domestic iron of the period.

???????
Misnomers.

Coilover "type" suspension is literally a coil spring over a damper. There are many types and configurations of coilovers. A mcpherson strut is a specific type of suspension setup.

A porpoise is a dolphin, but a dolphin doesn't have to be a porpoise.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (06-13-2019), Leonardo (06-13-2019), strat61caster (06-12-2019), Tristor (06-12-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #3638
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Yeah Mike got it. Our cars come with coilovers, meaning the coil (spring) is over the shock. That's it.

We have struts in the front, which means the shock body is a suspension arm. We have conventional shocks in the rear.

In the aftermarket suspension world, coilovers has come to mean height adjustable.

IMO there are crap coilovers and good shock and spring combos (and vice versa). Impossible to say "coilovers are better" because you sure can screw that up too.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (06-13-2019), CSG Mike (06-13-2019), Decep (07-10-2019), Leonardo (06-13-2019), spike021 (06-16-2019), tobin (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #3639
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks guys.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #3640
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
If you're willing to make the trip up near BWI airport, you could go for a ride in my BRZ with coilovers and see what a good quality set up at a reasonable cost can feel like

- Andrew
Thanks Andrew, I'll have to take you up on that, even if it means crossing the DC Area Supercollider / Capital Beltway. I'm doing my best to get in deep as far as understanding all this stuff, but reading books is no substitute for experience.

Cheers
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote