follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #15
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
Never heard of a soldier carrying anything around. My buddy was issued his stuff at check point. Will they even let you carry it around? Usually checked and checked out
To my knowledge you keep all your gear minus the gun(and maybe flak vest but my step dad did have his helmet... never saw a vest though). OP needs to be able to quickly load all his shit at a moment's notice. No time to get a ride or a truck. Probably disables passenger only but it doesn't really matter, just drive safe.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
To my knowledge you keep all your gear minus the gun(and maybe flak vest but my step dad did have his helmet... never saw a vest though). OP needs to be able to quickly load all his shit at a moment's notice. No time to get a ride or a truck. Probably disables passenger only but it doesn't really matter, just drive safe.
Generally you're keeping everything minus serialized kit. So, no gat, sight, magazines, etc. Some dudes keep their bayonet, but I don't since that's extra shit I need to not lose.

It's a lot of stuff. I just came off an exercise where all I had was a ruck satchel, back pack and my tac-vest and it barely fit into the car. Ruck had to go onto the passenger seat.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
S84kam (02-16-2016), Tcoat (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Generally you're keeping everything minus serialized kit. So, no gat, sight, magazines, etc. Some dudes keep their bayonet, but I don't since that's extra shit I need to not lose.

It's a lot of stuff. I just came off an exercise where all I had was a ruck satchel, back pack and my tac-vest and it barely fit into the car. Ruck had to go onto the passenger seat.
That is day to day stuff though. If deployed you would not be expected to get all that shit where you were going. It would be shipped for you. Not unless things have changed dramatically. Now mind you my last years were spent as Navy and an Officer so there was very little I had to lug around anyway so my experiences may no longer be accurate.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #18
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is day to day stuff though. If deployed you would not be expected to get all that shit where you were going. It would be shipped for you. Not unless things have changed dramatically. Now mind you my last years were spent as Navy and an Officer so there was very little I had to lug around anyway so my experiences may no longer be accurate.
The high readiness thing is a bit different. A friend of mine at 1 CER was on it for something like 18 months. Basically you need to keep a bug-out bag (but of course it turns into your ruck, small pack, duffel bags and a barracks box) ready pretty much always.

Kinda like, get the call, grab your shit, drive to your coy/bty/whatever lines and gtfo

Edit: You probably had a bat boy for all that stuff, so it wouldn't apply to you anyhow

Edit again: @Lorico not sure about Ontario, but in Ab at least, it is illegal to drive around with loose stuff in the car. Not sure if it's only in commercial vehicles or not. But I was given a cargo net to Macgyver into the back seat of work truck so that all the loose equipment I carry around could be secured.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
S84kam (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #19
S84kam

Drives: FBRZS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
finally military guys can chime in. At least they know what it means to leave at a moments notice.

OP whats in the high readiness kit?
S84kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #20
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Why not spend $250 on a hitch and rent a small trailer from U-Haul?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #21
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by S84kam View Post
finally military guys can chime in. At least they know what it means to leave at a moments notice.

OP whats in the high readiness kit?
Going to assume (so, take this with a grain of salt) but, every day dress (combat pants and tunic, underwear, t-shirts and socks) then field gear as well for a variety of climates (arctic to jungle to temperate to desert). Including tac-vest, frag vest and bucket. OP is probably packing differently every couple weeks/months so he doesn't have every single piece of kit packed at all times.

High readiness could mean anything from being called to fight forest fires (I did that, was on call for about a year) to assisting in a natural disaster abroad to the Communists invading (Wolveriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiines)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Lorico (02-16-2016), Tcoat (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
The high readiness thing is a bit different. A friend of mine at 1 CER was on it for something like 18 months. Basically you need to keep a bug-out bag (but of course it turns into your ruck, small pack, duffel bags and a barracks box) ready pretty much always.

Kinda like, get the call, grab your shit, drive to your coy/bty/whatever lines and gtfo

Edit: You probably had a bat boy for all that stuff, so it wouldn't apply to you anyhow

Edit again: @Lorico not sure about Ontario, but in Ab at least, it is illegal to drive around with loose stuff in the car. Not sure if it's only in commercial vehicles or not. But I was given a cargo net to Macgyver into the back seat of work truck so that all the loose equipment I carry around could be secured.
We had that as well but I suppose we had a lot less shit back then since everything for bug out could be placed in one small rucksack. Pretty much just webbing helmet and canteen. More like 'Nam equipment than now.
I think OP was talking about all of his gear not just the basics though.

Cole (02-16-2016), Lorico (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #23
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
We had that as well but I suppose we had a lot less shit back then since everything for bug out could be placed in one small rucksack. Pretty much just webbing helmet and canteen. More like 'Nam equipment than now.
I think OP was talking about all of his gear not just the basics though.

Yeah, this would be bugging out with a plethora of stuff. We're far better equipped now than even 15 years ago.

I could be entirely wrong though. Will need to see what OP's requirements actually are.

Edit: Wish I was issued a '64 pack instead of buying one. I hate the new ruck design. Even preferred the '84 pack to it.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #24
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Stick a resistor in it. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16293

Then your airbags will work for sure.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Lorico (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Going to assume (so, take this with a grain of salt) but, every day dress (combat pants and tunic, underwear, t-shirts and socks) then field gear as well for a variety of climates (arctic to jungle to temperate to desert). Including tac-vest, frag vest and bucket. OP is probably packing differently every couple weeks/months so he doesn't have every single piece of kit packed at all times.

High readiness could mean anything from being called to fight forest fires (I did that, was on call for about a year) to assisting in a natural disaster abroad to the Communists invading (Wolveriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiines)
Ya see there is the difference right there. We had one set of equipment for all climates not a bunch of different patterns and styles. If you were sent north then they gave you the cold weather stuff when you got there (and you froze your ass off until somebody got around to doing it). If you were sent to the desert you rolled up the sleeves on your green shirt and carried on.
Cole (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #26
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Ya see there is the difference right there. We had one set of equipment for all climates not a bunch of different patterns and styles. If you were sent north then they gave you the cold weather stuff when you got there (and you froze your ass off until somebody got around to doing it). If you were sent to the desert you rolled up the sleeves on your green shirt and carried on.
Yeah, right now, I currently have 2 large rubbermaid bins full of kit (mostly arctic stuff, because I don't need that ready to go in SWO), 2 duffel bags full, a full ruck sack and 2 full valises of sleeping kit. Really overkill, but I guess it irons out the possible logistical shortfalls that could happen if you're issued kit when you get to your destination.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, right now, I currently have 2 large rubbermaid bins full of kit (mostly arctic stuff, because I don't need that ready to go in SWO), 2 duffel bags full, a full ruck sack and 2 full valises of sleeping kit. Really overkill, but I guess it irons out the possible logistical shortfalls that could happen if you're issued kit when you get to your destination.
Well we were set to fight the Soviets and back then it meant we would all probably be radioactive dust if anything major blew up so logistics were not really and issue.
Beside that was what I did so we would get the good stuff first anyway.

Cole (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #28
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Well we were set to fight the Soviets and back then it meant we would all probably be radioactive dust if anything major blew up so logistics were not really and issue.
Beside that was what I did so we would get the good stuff first anyway.

[IMG]http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/images/bad-ins/lb-bsl.jpg[IMG]
Can't dispute that. And what a surprise, the sock goblins taking all the good kit for themselves
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-16-2016)