follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
edward

Drives: 2013 BRZ - Sterling Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone resolved their ignition coil CEL issues? (P0351, P0352, etc.)

Hey all,

I have a 2013 BRZ that's been having some issues.

About a year ago, it started throwing P0351 (Ignition Coil A) codes on the street, usually around ~5300-ish RPM at full throttle. After 3 trips to the dealership for diagnosis (and many hours of warranty labor) the dealership (Stevens Creek Subaru) swapped the two coils on the left side of the engine. (As I understand it, Coil A corresponds to cylinder #1 (front left), and Coil B corresponds to cylinder #3 (rear left)). This fixed the problem, however my service advisor told me that it was likely a temporary fix, and to let him know if the CEL comes back (and for which cylinder if it did come back.) Note: They did not replace the coils, they simply swapped the coils for cylinders 1 and 3.

Long story short: My car is throwing ignition coil codes again.

Everything was great until a few weeks ago when I was at Laguna Seca for a track day: The car started throwing CEL code P0352 (Coil B), which makes it seem like the first coil that was failing (cylinder #1) is now starting to fail again on cylinder #3. Thinking it might just be knocking on crappy California winter fuel, I put a few gallons of 101 octane fuel in the car, which seemed to reduce the frequency that the light was coming on, but it did not eliminate it. The code seemed to be thrown most often when accelerating up the straightaway at full throttle, and it always occurs when the engine is near roughly ~5300 RPM.

Anyways, I called a different dealership (my service advisor at Stevens Creek Subaru left, and he was the main reason I went there as there are closer dealerships to my home) and tried to set up a service appointment to get the ignition coils replaced, but they said that they have to diagnose the problem themselves before they can do anything.

I really don't want to go through the same experience I did the first time in order to get the problem "fixed" (multiple trips to the dealership with no fix or diagnosis because the problem wouldn't reproduce in the shop), but I only see two options for myself:

Option 1) Drive the car for another 6 months and wait for the CEL to come on so often that there is no way they won't be able to get it to happen in the shop. This sucks, because I can't go to the track, and it means driving a car that has a problem in order to make the problem worse, which fundamentally bothers me.

Option B) Pay a bunch of money for replacement coils and labor.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Has anyone been able to get something like this fixed by calling Subaru Corporate?

Thanks in advance,
Ed
edward is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edward For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (09-28-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I did it myself, took me two hours because I dropped a screw and I was slow.

Edit: Had poor info on cylinder numbering, see later posts.

This also jives with your story, front left swapped with rear left, the same one is failing as it was before.

Seeing as you posted in the thread I pulled this from I assume you know about it:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=198

Here's the part for ~$100

This is why this car has been a disappointment for me, I no longer see the benefits of warranty if you have to jump through hoops to get basic things done

After installing the new coilpack the next track day I only got P0011, so at least my coil packs are good

Edit: And as you can tell from reading the thread I linked some people have resigned themselves to replacing coils on a nearly yearly basis.

Last edited by strat61caster; 09-29-2015 at 02:31 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
edward (01-30-2015), RavioliG (05-21-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
edward

start61caster, Thanks for your quick response.

I apologize for the confusion, I am definitely aware of how to do it myself, but I really don't want to pay for parts when the car is still under warranty. My main purpose for posting (I should have been more clear, my apologies once again) was to ask if anyone had figured out a way to get Subaru to make the repairs.

Edit: Also, thank you for clarifying the cylinder numbers.

Thanks,
Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to edward For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
start61caster, Thanks for your quick response.

I apologize for the confusion, I am definitely aware of how to do it myself, but I really don't want to pay for parts when the car is still under warranty. My main purpose for posting (I should have been more clear, my apologies once again) was to ask if anyone had figured out a way to get Subaru to make the repairs.

Edit: Also, thank you for clarifying the cylinder numbers.

Thanks,
Ed
I planned on bringing it to the dealership, and demanding they show in writing, that they cover that code under warranty before running the diagnostic. I had checked the code through an odbii sensor and I didnt clear it, but i didnt want to risk running the diagnostic with nothing to show for it. So I tried to make the CEL appear again before I went to the dealership but failed terribly. Whenever I took it past 6000 rpms, it used to throw the code, so i stopped driving it hard. but when I went to drive it hard on my way to the dealership, i could not get the light to come on lol, so I just didnt go to my appointment.

Last edited by Estey; 01-31-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
jdrmoney

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB limited MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estey View Post
I planned on bringing it to the dealership, and demanding they show in writing, that they cover that code under warranty before running the diagnostic. I had checked the code through an odbii sensor and I didnt clear it, but i didnt want to risk running the diagnostic with nothing to show for it. So I tried to make the CEL appear again before I went to the dealership but failed terribly. Whenever I took it past 6000 rpms, it used to throw the code, so i stopped driving it hard. but when I went to drive it hard on my way to the dealership, i could not get the light to come on lol, so I just didnt go to my appointment.

I can get mine to throw the code when the car has been running for a while and is hot. If I try first thing in the morning it won't. Mine happens FOT going from second to third and about 7000 RPMs. Check engine light flashes, code comes up. I haven't even tried to go to the dealership yet because I have read a lot of forums and everyone says the dealership didn't do anything. I know a lot of people that track they cars get this. I wish I had the link to one article that points out that that side of the engine gets real hot and that is when the coil starts to fail and throw the code. Some people put heat tape on the top of the coil. Some food for thought
jdrmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2013 BRZ that's been having some issues.

About a year ago, it started throwing P0351 (Ignition Coil A) codes on the street, usually around ~5300-ish RPM at full throttle. After 3 trips to the dealership for diagnosis (and many hours of warranty labor) the dealership (Stevens Creek Subaru) swapped the two coils on the left side of the engine. (As I understand it, Coil A corresponds to cylinder #1 (front left), and Coil B corresponds to cylinder #3 (rear left)). This fixed the problem, however my service advisor told me that it was likely a temporary fix, and to let him know if the CEL comes back (and for which cylinder if it did come back.) Note: They did not replace the coils, they simply swapped the coils for cylinders 1 and 3.

Long story short: My car is throwing ignition coil codes again.

Everything was great until a few weeks ago when I was at Laguna Seca for a track day: The car started throwing CEL code P0352 (Coil B), which makes it seem like the first coil that was failing (cylinder #1) is now starting to fail again on cylinder #3. Thinking it might just be knocking on crappy California winter fuel, I put a few gallons of 101 octane fuel in the car, which seemed to reduce the frequency that the light was coming on, but it did not eliminate it. The code seemed to be thrown most often when accelerating up the straightaway at full throttle, and it always occurs when the engine is near roughly ~5300 RPM.

Anyways, I called a different dealership (my service advisor at Stevens Creek Subaru left, and he was the main reason I went there as there are closer dealerships to my home) and tried to set up a service appointment to get the ignition coils replaced, but they said that they have to diagnose the problem themselves before they can do anything.

I really don't want to go through the same experience I did the first time in order to get the problem "fixed" (multiple trips to the dealership with no fix or diagnosis because the problem wouldn't reproduce in the shop), but I only see two options for myself:

Option 1) Drive the car for another 6 months and wait for the CEL to come on so often that there is no way they won't be able to get it to happen in the shop. This sucks, because I can't go to the track, and it means driving a car that has a problem in order to make the problem worse, which fundamentally bothers me.

Option B) Pay a bunch of money for replacement coils and labor.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Has anyone been able to get something like this fixed by calling Subaru Corporate?

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Are you guys taking car to dealer with CEL light still on ?

If your clearing code/light with obd tool
Resetting ECU by power removal
or reflashing to stock tune (flash resets ecu)

then you erasing all evidence. even stored codes.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrmoney View Post
I can get mine to throw the code when the car has been running for a while and is hot. If I try first thing in the morning it won't. Mine happens FOT going from second to third and about 7000 RPMs. Check engine light flashes, code comes up. I haven't even tried to go to the dealership yet because I have read a lot of forums and everyone says the dealership didn't do anything. I know a lot of people that track they cars get this. I wish I had the link to one article that points out that that side of the engine gets real hot and that is when the coil starts to fail and throw the code. Some people put heat tape on the top of the coil. Some food for thought
Yeah, I learned that theyre only covered under the 36k mile warranty. Youre probably right. My engine wasnt hot enough, but I bought a new ignition coil and replaced it myself. Such an easy install, but the limited amount of space was somewhat of a pain. It feels so much better to be able to smash the throttle with no worries of throwing a CEL haha, and replacing it myself was much more rewarding than dealing with dealer BS

I believe youre talking about the #3 coil next to the exhaust. I read that somewhere too. Theres some correlation, but its placement probably isnt solely responsible for the coil failures. Mine was the #2 on the drivers side, closest to the front bumper.
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Estey For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-14-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
edward

The dealership traced the issue to a faulty wiring harness causing a bad sensor value to be seen by the ECU. The dealership replaced the wiring harness under warranty and the issue has been resolved!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edward For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (11-08-2016), Bristecom (08-06-2016), whataboutbob (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I am having similar issues with my car right now. I'll post up the details a bit later. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread as I think my harness may be failing as well.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Part number SU003-04463, $375 retail at the Toyota dealer. This is a revised part number. There is a TSB for issues with the harness on the early year model cars: TSB-S_SB_0013-14. Which apparently references random misfires and stalling among other things.
Attached Images

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (10-02-2015), Bristecom (08-06-2016), DC2R (11-18-2015), raul (11-02-2015), strat61caster (09-28-2015), WillRacer1jz (10-23-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Awesome, I got two more codes at my last track day, do you know if it's entirely the harness or if there's some element to do with the coilpacks failing as well, maybe in conjunction with the harness?

I may order this instead of 2x coilpacks for my next track day, especially if anyone else can confirm.

Mine has never shown itself on the street so I'd be surprised if a dealership is willing to help me out, but I may make the effort once again...
Old 09-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I did it myself, took me two hours because I dropped a screw and I was slow.

P0352 is actually coil "B" or #2 which is the one closest to the driver side.
I believe this is correct:

Front Left -- Front Right
#1-A ------ #3-C
#2-B ------ #4-D
Driver ---- Passenger

This also jives with your story, front left swapped with rear left, the same one is failing as it was before.

Seeing as you posted in the thread I pulled this from I assume you know about it:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=198

Here's the part for ~$100

This is why this car has been a disappointment for me, I no longer see the benefits of warranty if you have to jump through hoops to get basic things done

After installing the new coilpack the next track day I only got P0011, so at least my coil packs are good

Edit: And as you can tell from reading the thread I linked some people have resigned themselves to replacing coils on a nearly yearly basis.

1 is front right
3 is rear right

my experience is

1 died (stock)
3 died (stock + swaintech ceramic coated header)
1 died (gold foil + coated header)

if heat is the problem the above steps have failed to address it. since 1 seems most common and since the most common failures are all above the header it certainly still seems suspect.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
Part number SU003-04463, $375 retail at the Toyota dealer. This is a revised part number. There is a TSB for issues with the harness on the early year model cars: TSB-S_SB_0013-14. Which apparently references random misfires and stalling among other things.
1. question on this, i'm out of warranty and never been in for a TSB. can i just come in and wave my hands around and get this done for free?

2. is this really about our issue? the description doesn't seem like it? or at least is pointing to the camshaft sensor

Scion: camshaft position sensor clearance is out of specification, causing intake and/or exhaust camshaft position sensor and/or engine to misfire and some vehicles may experience rough idle or extended cranking. model 2013 fr-s.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickmint79 View Post
1 is front right
3 is rear right
You are correct, I'll ammend my post to prevent future confusion.

From the shop manuals to confirm.