follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #253
chrisrefaei

Drives: 2008 Eclipse Spyder, 2010 ralliart
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Iono if this truly does happen if I should go this route or get a Non turbo BRZ now and get a Vortech SuperChanger later.
chrisrefaei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #254
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
This just in from a source "The 2015 1/2 BRZ will be powered by nuclear power. It has been in discussion between Toyota and Subaru for some time now but they have finally come to an agreement.
This new nuclear powered mill will actually be capable of time travel and teleportation between different dimensions"

IBTL.
I think this rumor about the Cygnet/iQ getting the Aston Martin V12 comes pretty close to the nuclear option...

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #255
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think this rumor about the Cygnet/iQ getting the Aston Martin V12 comes pretty close to the nuclear option...
saw that as well. would be completely insane if they built that. unfortunately, the iQ isn't a very good handling car so driving it wouldn't be as much fun as one might think.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #256
JohnS_Rosamond

Drives: Mazda MX5
On The Turbo issue: Though it might be easy for Subaru to smack on a turbo, I would think that they wouldn't do it to keep the WRX and STi farther up the food chain than the BRZ. Until BRZ becomes a solid, higher volume car, I can't see them spending much capital on it.

On the "Honda is a better value" argument: As others have said, I think that argument simply missed the point. If some dealership offered a 4x4 truck with many more features for the same price as a BRZ/FR-S, I would still be more interested in the BRZ/FR-S because I don't want to commute in a 4x4 truck. I would not buy an Accord EX (with more stuff) because I don't like FWD- no matter how much "extra" you get with it.

At least now I'm seeing more FR-S / BRZ sales without the huge over-the-top mark ups.

Thanks to those sales people who talked about customers, very interesting. I agree that many people don't really "like cars," and see them more as appliances that you "have to live with."
JohnS_Rosamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #257
Crossover Auto

Drives: FR-S, BR-Z, 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not liking the line that said straight direct injection only. That's a big restriction in fueling for forced induction setups. Be glad you have a hybrid fuel system in your current car.
Crossover Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #258
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover Auto View Post
I'm not liking the line that said straight direct injection only. That's a big restriction in fueling for forced induction setups. Be glad you have a hybrid fuel system in your current car.
There are plenty of GDI cars that are also turbocharged. Why would you want or need port injection (or port along with direct injection) on a forced induction application? If anything, I think GDI is better suited for forced induction in the first place.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #259
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
There are plenty of GDI cars that are also turbocharged. Why would you want or need port injection (or port along with direct injection) on a forced induction application? If anything, I think GDI is better suited for forced induction in the first place.
Ask GDI Audi owners why DI isn't the greatest.

Our engines with both GDI and TPI are the best of both worlds.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #260
joergasm

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I just got my BRZ the other day and before i even brought up the rumour my salesman was telling my dad to not buy an impreza and to wait a year or two because the new BRZ is going to have turbo. So i guess it happening...FUCK
Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #261
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Quote:
It is but it isn't. Think about it like this, in stock form direct injection is king with forced induction applications; largely because you don't have to use additional fuel to prevent detonation because the mixture happens in the combustion chamber and not before the intake valve thus allowing for a cooler mixture and increased volumetric efficiency.
This becomes a problem though when you're looking to turn it up a notch. The injectors atomize almost to the same extent diesels do; because your mixture happens inside the combustion chamber you end up with a limited time frame to form a homogeneous mixture. The only way to combat things going south is to restrict airflow, hence the reason he said there's a restriction in fueling because naturally if airflow is being restricted then so is the amount of fuel for stoichiometric purposes.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #262
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Ask GDI Audi owners why DI isn't the greatest.

Our engines with both GDI and TPI are the best of both worlds.
I'm actually a GDI Audi owner. If you're talking about carbon deposit issues, the current generation of TFSI engines don't have any issues. The naturally aspirated engines with GDI, however, are still experiencing severe carbon issues.

Here's a pic of my Audi:

Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #263
jonnyozero3

Drives: 4 wheels & some metal bits
Quote:
I'm actually a GDI Audi owner. If you're talking about carbon deposit issues, the current generation of TFSI engines don't have any issues. The naturally aspirated engines with GDI, however, are still experiencing severe carbon issues.

Here's a pic of my Audi:

You must either be a dentist or a serial killer...
jonnyozero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyozero3 For This Useful Post:
Laika (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #264
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
It is but it isn't. Think about it like this, in stock form direct injection is king with forced induction applications; largely because you don't have to use additional fuel to prevent detonation because the mixture happens in the combustion chamber and not before the intake valve thus allowing for a cooler mixture and increased volumetric efficiency.
This becomes a problem though when you're looking to turn it up a notch. The injectors atomize almost to the same extent diesels do; because your mixture happens inside the combustion chamber you end up with a limited time frame to form a homogeneous mixture. The only way to combat things going south is to restrict airflow, hence the reason he said there's a restriction in fueling because naturally if airflow is being restricted then so is the amount of fuel for stoichiometric purposes.
My car is currently running 21 lbs of boost (instead of the stock 14 lbs) and there are no issues at all with keeping the air/fuel ratio in check. The GDI system is more than capable of adjusting fuel delivery & timing at increased boost levels.

You have to keep in mind that GDI has different combustion modes. For light loads, an ultra-lean burn mode is used. This is a stratified charge. The timing of the fuel being injected is adjusted towards the end of the compression stroke.

For normal loads, the GDI runs in stoichiometric mode. The fuel is injected earlier (during the intake stroke) and the result is a very homogeneous fuel charge.

For high loads (such as full throttle & full boost on a turbocharged car), the GDI goes into full power mode. It dumps in more fuel and creates a richer mixture to prevent engine knock.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #265
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post
You must either be a dentist or a serial killer...
LOL....what makes you say that?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #266
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL....what makes you say that?
AAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote