follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List
kodos78

Old 06-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #71
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OK good we understand each other. Yeah, I'm kind of on a body-roll evangelizing spree so excuse me if I came off offensive towards other opinions.
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #72
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobrz View Post
OK good we understand each other. Yeah, I'm kind of on a body-roll evangelizing spree so excuse me if I came off offensive towards other opinions.
No worries.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #73
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I happen to think the Miata is more fun on the street, but that has nothing to do with suspension and everything to do with putting the top down. But I wouldn't try to argue that anyone who disliked top-down motoring didn't get it or was missing the point. That's just their preference and it's valid.
I admit I've never driven a Miata, and specifically the reason I have not is because it's a convertible. I really just don't like them, I think. At least, if I didn't enjoy driving an S2000 with the top down I'm not sure why I would enjoy a Miata with the top down.

I always thought "Why doesn't someone make a car that is affordable, fun to drive, and light like the Miata, only a coupe..." and then they did.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #74
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
Hmm I prefer white. Going to contact them although that's overpriced.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Chupacabra (06-06-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #75
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
I admit I've never driven a Miata, and specifically the reason I have not is because it's a convertible. I really just don't like them, I think. At least, if I didn't enjoy driving an S2000 with the top down I'm not sure why I would enjoy a Miata with the top down.

I always thought "Why doesn't someone make a car that is affordable, fun to drive, and light like the Miata, only a coupe..." and then they did.
Yep and there's nothing wrong with not liking top-down motoring. Even for me, it comes with its pros and cons. On the right day, I love how visceral the experience is. It's more raw and you feel less isolated from the driving experience. But there are drawbacks. On hot days, you bake. On rainy days, you get wet. With the top up, it can feel a bit claustrophobic, etc.

I completely agree with your last comment too. The Twins are the closest thing to a Miata coupe as we've seen in the past decade. And the fact that they're a bit more track-focused in stock form is perfect for me.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
acro (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #76
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
The Z28 is really a track only special "toy" car though, not ever meant to be a daily driver. It's for those who want a track toy from the dealership and can afford it. Set of those Pirelli Trofeo R tires for the Z28 will run you well over $2.5k...and barely last over a few thousand miles. Don't even want to think about its carbon ceramic brake component costs. About as practical as an Ariel Atom for a daily driver, but the Ariel Atom would be a better daily driver and much better on consumables...

Definitely a toy when you realize you are paying more for a Camaro than a Corvette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
Before installing the ESC and the tune, I was averaging about 34.5 mpg. Now I'm in the high 30s or just over 40. I can hardly believe I added capability for around 50hp and 70 tq and improved the gas mileage.

In city driving I'm more like low to mid 20s.

Is that ESC armed or unarmed getting that mpg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fduboss302 View Post
Have most people who have talked about how amazing the driving feel of the twins driven a Miata? I'm really surprised considering that I actually miss the fun factor of my NB (yes compared to the BRZ).

I needed a more practical daily and it was wrecked so onto the BRZ, no regrets. Just surprised there's not more Miata leg humping here.

It's a Mustang thread so at least we are comparing GTs here. Stick around, you'll see plenty of Miata leg humping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Miata defenders. I can't find a single person who disagreed. Literally everyone said they either (1) loved the Miata, or (2) almost bought one, but... [insert blank].

Good grief, what more do you want people to say? Or in your opinion, did everyone who chose an FR-S/BRZ over a Miata simply "miss the point?"

The Miata is not the perfect car. Neither is the FR-S/BRZ. There are valid reasons to pick one over the other. Or any number of other cars, depending on subjective preferences and intended uses.

That and most commentators are or were MR2 owners so yeah, Miata whatever lol.

I'm not at all surprised by the number of twin owners that were MR drivers. Not quite the same experience but the 86 is the current GT to get if you are that type of driver.

If anyone is into bodyroll, they should check out a Prius. Or you could just remove the anti-roll bars, cuz u know, that's what they do....
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #77
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Z28 conversation is a mute point regardless as the entire first year production run was sold out before the first car hit the dealerships. Excluding Hendricks and Leno , who got theirs weeks ago.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #78
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
Z28 conversation is a mute point regardless as the entire first year production run was sold out before the first car hit the dealerships. Excluding Hendricks and Leno , who got theirs weeks ago.

Moot
Old 06-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #79
fduboss302

Drives: 2013 Boss 302, 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Haha I didn't mean to mention the Miata as troll bait. I suppose that of all the cars I've driven/owned the Miata was the biggest surprise. Honestly it was a DD, track car for me to learn on but it ended up being much much more fun than for that purpose. Plus a convertible in SOCal is pretty awesome. (Didn't see the point of convertibles before I had the NB)
fduboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #80
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
Moot
Moo.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #81
jcblown13

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Asphalt 6MT
Garage
Thanks for the post. The two reasons I didn't buy a Mustang or a Camaro:
1. Too heavy
2. Poor Gas Mileage - I'm using this as a daily driver - not a garage ornament

And a third for the Camaro - I felt like I was in a Cave - couldn't see out the back.

Don't take this wrong, I am just curious. I would love to see a picture of a 6' 7" 300+ pound guy in an FR-S. You said you fit and I'll take your word for it. I just bet those stock seats are a little 'snug'
jcblown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #82
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblown13 View Post
I just bet those stock seats are a little 'snug'

It's all in the shoulders and arms man!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #83
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
So eventually all you're left with is a car that is good, but would be better if it didn't have to contain the beast under the hood, which you can't use on the street without looking over your shoulders.
I've driven the Mustang GT since 2011 to 2013 every summer. That sentence is basically why despite how addictive that power and noise was...made me realize how silly it ended up being. It'd be brilliant if I had an autobahn or live in a very deserted area where traffic isn't a problem...but that isn't my reality. I'm thinking 0-60 in 4.5 seconds is awesome, then I realize its too bloody fast for the driving I do...even the FRS is too fast due to how stupidly slow Toronto drivers are on highway ramps. I'd think the idea of the highway ramp was to reach the 60 mph/100 kmh in time...turns out the drivers here...prefer 45 mph/72 kph which isn't enough to merge without problems.

My other issue with the Mustang was the live axle. Not that it handled badly because it actually didn't but rather it skips around over rough and uneven roads. The roads near my workplace are littered with bumpy rough roads that are worthy of scrapping. Taking a Mustang GT and cornering over such roads made it very skittish when I didn't want it to be, add the power by mistake and it becomes slightly terrifying as you're not in full control which isn't something you want to say about a vehicle with 412-420 hp. As a result this is not reassuring as I would need to use it in the winter.

There's a lot to like about the Mustang GT. For me though its not too useful, the power dominates a lot of the experience in that car to the point its a double edged sword. The good, its simply awesome to experience so much power that's actually in affordable range, a performance bargain really. The bad...you have to keep that power under control all the time on public roads and because the power is a lot of the character of the car...the rest of the car seems inconsequential which is a shame because the car is rather good. I personally find it really annoying to drive a 400+ hp car...but never really getting a chance to even use more than half of it.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #84
Reason

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FR-S; E30 BMW's
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblown13 View Post
Thanks for the post. The two reasons I didn't buy a Mustang or a Camaro:
1. Too heavy
2. Poor Gas Mileage - I'm using this as a daily driver - not a garage ornament

And a third for the Camaro - I felt like I was in a Cave - couldn't see out the back.

Don't take this wrong, I am just curious. I would love to see a picture of a 6' 7" 300+ pound guy in an FR-S. You said you fit and I'll take your word for it. I just bet those stock seats are a little 'snug'

Hah. I really do and the only problem was I could use a tiny bit more headroom. Seats were good for my shape, which surprises a lot of people but the best explination I can come up with is that everyone is built differently. Torso length and width, leg/hip length and width, shoulders... its all different. I've given up trying to predict what I will fit in and what I won't. There are obvious outward signs (I don't fit in an elan... and I'm going to be fine in any minivan for the most part) but other than superlative sized cars it's anyones guess. Case in point last week I had the pleasure of driving a Focus ST around for a few days. It was a great car but the seats were way too narrow in the base, and the dash felt very low and hit my knees. Way less comfort and room than in the twins; then I was at my Ford dealer and they had a Fiesta ST in the show room and I'm very curious about that car so I took a seat and- what the hell! I fit better than the Focus. Seat was lower in the car, dash was above my knees and the seats were more comfortable which is perplexing because they are the same basic seats. Now, i'm not saying I had all the room in the world; in fact I couldn't wear a helmet comfortably but the point is that it is totally possible and no worse than 90% of much larger cars i've owned.

To indulge your request these are the only pictures I could find of me in the car, taken at some Rally checkpoints. I'm leaning forward in both pictures, I was able to lean back in the seat if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
I've driven the Mustang GT since 2011 to 2013 every summer. That sentence is basically why despite how addictive that power and noise was...made me realize how silly it ended up being. It'd be brilliant if I had an autobahn or live in a very deserted area where traffic isn't a problem...but that isn't my reality. I'm thinking 0-60 in 4.5 seconds is awesome, then I realize its too bloody fast for the driving I do...even the FRS is too fast due to how stupidly slow Toronto drivers are on highway ramps. I'd think the idea of the highway ramp was to reach the 60 mph/100 kmh in time...turns out the drivers here...prefer 45 mph/72 kph which isn't enough to merge without problems.

My other issue with the Mustang was the live axle. Not that it handled badly because it actually didn't but rather it skips around over rough and uneven roads. The roads near my workplace are littered with bumpy rough roads that are worthy of scrapping. Taking a Mustang GT and cornering over such roads made it very skittish when I didn't want it to be, add the power by mistake and it becomes slightly terrifying as you're not in full control which isn't something you want to say about a vehicle with 412-420 hp. As a result this is not reassuring as I would need to use it in the winter.

There's a lot to like about the Mustang GT. For me though its not too useful, the power dominates a lot of the experience in that car to the point its a double edged sword. The good, its simply awesome to experience so much power that's actually in affordable range, a performance bargain really. The bad...you have to keep that power under control all the time on public roads and because the power is a lot of the character of the car...the rest of the car seems inconsequential which is a shame because the car is rather good. I personally find it really annoying to drive a 400+ hp car...but never really getting a chance to even use more than half of it.
You really nail it there too. I also live near some rough roads and any time I want to drive at anything above normal commuting the rear axle and the tremendous power conspire to make me constantly focusing on every little input I give and every little road imperfection. You don't really relax and that makes it not near as fun.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reason For This Useful Post:
jcblown13 (06-08-2014)

Tags
comparison, fr-s, mustang, trade