follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, KR-S, Tcoat

Old 01-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #155
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Am I the only person left foot braking daily to prepare for my future WDC?

#guessSchumacherwaswrong
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-22-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #156
changy

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Just for fun, I decided to try it too!

On an unrelated note, looking to part out a '13 FR-S. Possible frame damage. Two wheels are perfect, the rears, as are the tail lamps...
Location and color?

Sent from my NX507J using Tapatalk
changy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to changy For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (01-21-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 04:34 AM   #157
GhostRai
Rice Monkey

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I tried left foot braking once because my right foot was tired from all the city traffic and spongy ass brake pedal... Never again.

"Why must everything that is broken be fixed?"
GhostRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #158
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's sort of funny how many people come here to say "I tried left-foot braking once and it was terrible, never again, now I have a crashed FRS", etc.

while
1. the original question was to people who drive AT twins and have experience with daily driving-LFB - is there anything in the car that prevents doing it

2. it was said a few times that learning LFB requires quite a lot of practice.

In other words, it's as if I asked:
"Hey, for years I've been using the Dvorak keyboard layout on my PC, I am getting a Mac, is there anything in the Mac that prevents using the Dvorak keyboard on a Mac"

And got plenty of responses "I have never used Dvorak on my Mac, only regular QWERTY, I tried Dvorak once and it was a disaster".

So relevant.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
abraxis (01-26-2016), joe strummer (01-24-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #159
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
It's sort of funny how many people come here to say "I tried left-foot braking once and it was terrible, never again, now I have a crashed FRS", etc.

while
1. the original question was to people who drive AT twins and have experience with daily driving-LFB - is there anything in the car that prevents doing it

2. it was said a few times that learning LFB requires quite a lot of practice.

In other words, it's as if I asked:
"Hey, for years I've been using the Dvorak keyboard layout on my PC, I am getting a Mac, is there anything in the Mac that prevents using the Dvorak keyboard on a Mac"

And got plenty of responses "I have never used Dvorak on my Mac, only regular QWERTY, I tried Dvorak once and it was a disaster".

So relevant.
Actually in that example, the hardware could be incompatible. The current circumstance would be more like: I want to play first person shooters with a joystick. It's there anything stopping me from doing that? No(assuming the game supports it, and they nearly all do), nothing will stop you. Its just a bad idea because you need the quick precise input of a mouse.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #160
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Actually in that example, the hardware could be incompatible. The current circumstance would be more like: I want to play first person shooters with a joystick. It's there anything stopping me from doing that? No(assuming the game supports it, and they nearly all do), nothing will stop you. Its just a bad idea because you need the quick precise input of a mouse.
I think that my example was much more accurate. I was exactly asking about hardware incompatibility: is there anything specifically in the FRS that is incompatible with LFB, like pedal position makes it impossible, or brake assists gets confused and intervenes during normal braking.

Your FPS example ignores the fact, that I've been driving cars using LFB for years, and I know it's possible. It's more like "can this particular flight simulator game be controlled with a yoke, not just a joystick - because I have played other flight simulator games with either, and I prefer the yoke, though most people use joysticks"
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #161
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I think that my example was much more accurate. I was exactly asking about hardware incompatibility: is there anything specifically in the FRS that is incompatible with LFB, like pedal position makes it impossible, or brake assists gets confused and intervenes during normal braking.

Your FPS example ignores the fact, that I've been driving cars using LFB for years, and I know it's possible. It's more like "can this particular flight simulator game be controlled with a yoke, not just a joystick - because I have played other flight simulator games with either, and I prefer the yoke, though most people use joysticks"
But if you never pressed the brake and gas at the same time because you're so great at it, how would the car even know? There is nothing to be incompatible other than the driver. The brake is not on the left, just like all other cars. Therefore it's safe to assume concessions, like comfort of the testicles, must be made to "convert"it to LFB. If such concessions are plausible then the FRS is just as practical as any other AT
Old 01-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #162
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Ok so that article you posted tells you to rest your foot on the dead pedal, far from the brake when there is no danger. And hover when there is... who is being watchful for danger then pushes the wrong pedal anyways? I dunno about you guys but I can't hover over a pedal for a prolonged period of time, my ankle/shin muscles get tired. How would you hover over the pedal for hours on end(say rush hour traffic) with your knees clamped together to reach the pedal?
This is why you don't skip leg day.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #163
Ashikabi

I don't have leg day. Just squats
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
This is why you don't skip leg day.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #164
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
I had a right foot injury so I tried driving using only my left foot. I was doing ok until I had to hit the brakes - then I almost broke my jaw on the steering wheel as I was unaware of how touch sensitive the brake pedal is. (my right foot is well tuned to put exact pressure on pedal while my left foot tried and everything in the car went flying forwards.)

Left foot braking is good for hill starts in an auto, as well as launching from a higher rpm off the starting line/stoplight, and doing smokey burnouts. Also in a FWD car, you can corner brake to get a bit of rotation while staying on the gas.

I can see a medical reason for left foot braking, but not any other logical argument like "better reaction time" or "less chance of pedal confusion". Also in stop & go traffic, use your transmission. Shift in to 2nd gear (this works in an auto or manual) and then you just let up on the gas to slow down. Actively shift gears (auto) to use engine braking and reduce foot fatigue. Most of the stop and go is crawling - you can leave a little space and try to crawl at one constant speed rather than follow the stop and go pattern of the car ahead of you.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (01-24-2016), Tcoat (01-23-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 12:51 AM   #165
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I'm surprised that power doesn't get cut when you do this. Most cars that are DBW will cut power when both the brakes and gas are pressed at the same time as a safety measure.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #166
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
I had a right foot injury so I tried driving using only my left foot. I was doing ok until I had to hit the brakes - then I almost broke my jaw on the steering wheel as I was unaware of how touch sensitive the brake pedal is. (my right foot is well tuned to put exact pressure on pedal while my left foot tried and everything in the car went flying forwards.)

Left foot braking is good for hill starts in an auto, as well as launching from a higher rpm off the starting line/stoplight, and doing smokey burnouts. Also in a FWD car, you can corner brake to get a bit of rotation while staying on the gas.

I can see a medical reason for left foot braking, but not any other logical argument like "better reaction time" or "less chance of pedal confusion". Also in stop & go traffic, use your transmission. Shift in to 2nd gear (this works in an auto or manual) and then you just let up on the gas to slow down. Actively shift gears (auto) to use engine braking and reduce foot fatigue. Most of the stop and go is crawling - you can leave a little space and try to crawl at one constant speed rather than follow the stop and go pattern of the car ahead of you.
This is exactly what I do and use my left foot for. Even though its an auto, it still rolls backwards when facing uphill at a stop light. So hold brake and give it a little gas, then release.

Also same with shifting/engine braking while in stop and go traffic. Saves on gas too.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:52 AM   #167
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i use my left foot to brake 99% of the time unless it's a turn where i need to keep my left foot on the foot stabilizer and use my right foot to trail brake.
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:42 AM   #168
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Am I the only person left foot braking daily to prepare for my future WDC?

#guessSchumacherwaswrong
Yea but from glancing at this thread I have gathered this guy is not talking about left foot braking. He is talking about braking with his left foot. And only his left foot. Like in daily driving where someone would be off throttle and braking with right foot, he will have his right foot suspended over the throttle and braking with his left foot.

OP, Doesn't make sense to me but if that's how you like to drive who cares?