follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #15
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey8748 View Post
Holy crap $160 for something you can do just as fast for free....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
It resets the TPMS, PD with ABS, and PD without ABS. PD if im not mistaken re activates after 30 mph. This does all that way faster than you can do it.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #16
jbailey8748

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Once you do the pedal dance you have to shut the car off to reset. And I'm curious about the tpms reset. What does that really do just reset it for a few miles till it realizes no tps or reset the pressure to what is in the wheels. Abs... That's a fuse and no big deal either.
I can see the tpms reset having some value if it does something useful, other than that this thing is something silly to wase money on

jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #17
Beastronix

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey8748 View Post
Once you do the pedal dance you have to shut the car off to reset. And I'm curious about the tpms reset. What does that really do just reset it for a few miles till it realizes no tps or reset the pressure to what is in the wheels. Abs... That's a fuse and no big deal either.
I can see the tpms reset having some value if it does something useful, other than that this thing is something silly to wase money on

@jbailey8748 Most my customers are race teams, drivers with non street legal cars, or avid track day drivers. The goal for the product is keeping the focus on the driving ahead. With this I spend most my time doing custom fully automated units so drivers simply start the car and go. They don't want to have to worry about handling any other tasks.

You're correct, the traditional pedal dance does indeed require the ignition to be cycled. One of the most common issues I hear is with grid or paddock being on a slope so they aren't even able to perform the pedal dance manually. My device communicates directly to the skid control ecu and can turn it on/off at will, no engine cycles. It can also have the mode instantly enabled upon engine start regardless of engine temp/RPM (temp has zero to do with the pedal dance).

Yes, ABS can be disabled by pulling the fuse or sensors, but you'll more than likely throw off the brake bias in the process. Most road course teams prefer ABS on with these cars but depending on the grip they sometimes need an on the fly way to disable ABS if it's being too intrusive. Pulling a fuse while on track isn't possible for instances like this.

The TPMS reset is simply a tool for drivers who might change out wheels at an event. When they are ready to head back home they can have the car go back into learning mode. I'd say most units I build we end up setting up TPMS disable simply because they are track cars and they never want to see the light again. Same reason I will deal with disabling other indicators such as airbag warnings for customers with gutted, no airbag cars. It's all about preventing driver distraction and guys in a longer race hate to see the TPMS start blinking every 25-50 miles.

As for value, the amount put into a single unit is a loss for me. There is no factory cranking these out, every single unit is handmade by me and then tested in my own vehicle. Custom units alone I can spend sometimes 2 days making sure everything is programmed and functioning perfectly. This usually includes at least 2 hours of driving as well. Over a year designing and investing on a top notch harness and learning the exact CAN communication spec of Toyota ecm so quality could be the best there is. CAN interfaces alone are typically $300 for one as capable as what I've managed to build up. In fact, there is a Chinese knock off that does only the pedal dance via button... They are charging $500 USD.

Don't mean to ramble just a lot of effort put into these so I could sell them as cheap as possible. I'm an enthusiast as well and one thing I hate more than anything is excessive price hikes.
Beastronix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beastronix For This Useful Post:
BatStig (11-02-2015), Clipdat (11-02-2015), jbailey8748 (11-01-2015), Seth Hawkins (11-01-2015), wireman957 (11-02-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
jbailey8748

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastronix View Post
@jbailey8748 Most my customers are race teams, drivers with non street legal cars, or avid track day drivers. The goal for the product is keeping the focus on the driving ahead. With this I spend most my time doing custom fully automated units so drivers simply start the car and go. They don't want to have to worry about handling any other tasks.

You're correct, the traditional pedal dance does indeed require the ignition to be cycled. One of the most common issues I hear is with grid or paddock being on a slope so they aren't even able to perform the pedal dance manually. My device communicates directly to the skid control ecu and can turn it on/off at will, no engine cycles. It can also have the mode instantly enabled upon engine start regardless of engine temp/RPM (temp has zero to do with the pedal dance).

Yes, ABS can be disabled by pulling the fuse or sensors, but you'll more than likely throw off the brake bias in the process. Most road course teams prefer ABS on with these cars but depending on the grip they sometimes need an on the fly way to disable ABS if it's being too intrusive. Pulling a fuse while on track isn't possible for instances like this.

The TPMS reset is simply a tool for drivers who might change out wheels at an event. When they are ready to head back home they can have the car go back into learning mode. I'd say most units I build we end up setting up TPMS disable simply because they are track cars and they never want to see the light again. Same reason I will deal with disabling other indicators such as airbag warnings for customers with gutted, no airbag cars. It's all about preventing driver distraction and guys in a longer race hate to see the TPMS start blinking every 25-50 miles.

As for value, the amount put into a single unit is a loss for me. There is no factory cranking these out, every single unit is handmade by me and then tested in my own vehicle. Custom units alone I can spend sometimes 2 days making sure everything is programmed and functioning perfectly. This usually includes at least 2 hours of driving as well. Over a year designing and investing on a top notch harness and learning the exact CAN communication spec of Toyota ecm so quality could be the best there is. CAN interfaces alone are typically $300 for one as capable as what I've managed to build up. In fact, there is a Chinese knock off that does only the pedal dance via button... They are charging $500 USD.

Don't mean to ramble just a lot of effort put into these so I could sell them as cheap as possible. I'm an enthusiast as well and one thing I hate more than anything is excessive price hikes.
Solid explanation. Didn't mean come off as down playing what this was or your work, this could be a real tool for someone who races.

jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbailey8748 For This Useful Post:
Beastronix (11-01-2015), stevesnj (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #19
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Who says you turn it on on public roads. It's for track. Use at your own risk on the street. The OP said track also. There are cars and trucks on the road with no assists.
Well, when you talk about it being "more fun" that implies a lot more than just puttering around town.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Well, when you talk about it being "more fun" that implies a lot more than just puttering around town.
I have used it off track...in an empty parking lot to do proper donuts. But not everyday are all the nanny's off. That's just not safe. Put trac and VSC off with ABS on is fine for experienced drivers. But as Josh says it's geared towards track cars. I can drive with all nanny's off since this is my first car with TRAC and VSC so I can handle the car on the street without.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote