follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Boris_Petrov

Drives: 2013 GT 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trans build for 400+- hp

So this post is about just theoreticaly looking at things, because I'll probably never go that far, but if I do, I want to know how much money I'd have to spend.

So I want to push around 300-320 hp on the stock motor on 100 RON=93 pump in the US when I get my FBM GTX2867r kit with a remote tune.

Then if I want to build the motor and get to 400+ hp with a GTX3076r I'll be pushing my luck with the trans. What do I do then? V160? CD009? There's not much lying around in my country so I decided to look at some gear sets. I checked on the forum, I searched in the internet and what I chose was this:
https://jackstransmissions.com/trans...ervice-brz-frs

And then I read a post about this which is waay more expensive and way more high-end:
https://jackstransmissions.com/trans...romesh-gearset

So the second one is a full gear set without syncros built for 700 wtq which is waaay too much for me. The first one offers a 4th gear problem solution and strenghtened syncros. As far as I've heard the complaint with the trans was the 4th gear thrust problem and the bad syncros as well as a long 1st and 2nd gear and a short 5th and 6th as far as I remember.

So what do you think? Should I fork out on the big gear set or is the syncro set gonna do just fine for a lower price (bear in mind that the shipment will be pretty rough since I live in Bulgaria)? Also the full gear set comes with free custom gear ratios and a straight cut gear version.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Boris_Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I guess it may also mean expensive import charges aswell on top of initial $7K cost + cost of rebuilding gearbox. Hmm .. if it goes that high, and one has budget .. i'd throw some more money in and think of sequential gearbox, old dream of mine
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Boris_Petrov (04-29-2019), Sleepless (04-30-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Why not swap in a cd009, there's a kit available now. Probably less involved than tearing down an oem transmission and reinforcing it. There are plenty of people who destroy these transmissions at fairly low levels of power, so to reinforce it still seems like a gamble.

Or just go sequential...
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Boris_Petrov (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
Boris_Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I guess it may also mean expensive import charges aswell on top of initial $7K cost + cost of rebuilding gearbox. Hmm .. if it goes that high, and one has budget .. i'd throw some more money in and think of sequential gearbox, old dream of mine
That's just what I thought, but do you think that the syncro kir for aprox 3k with shipping and labour (labour is pretty cheap here) is gonna do the job?

But that sequential tho

Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Boris_Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Why not swap in a cd009, there's a kit available now. Probably less involved than tearing down an oem transmission and reinforcing it. There are plenty of people who destroy these transmissions at fairly low levels of power, so to reinforce it still seems like a gamble.

Or just go sequential...
I'd do that, but there aren't a lot of used z transes here, It's a small country and people normally drive riced out BMWs.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
What kind of driving are you planning to do? You can usually extend the limit of gears pretty far out by not using solid drivetrain bushings, and doing your best to prevent drivetrain shock (hard launches, flat foot shifting, clutch dumps in general, clutch kicks, etc)
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris_Petrov View Post
So this post is about just theoreticaly looking at things, because I'll probably never go that far, but if I do, I want to know how much money I'd have to spend.

So I want to push around 300-320 hp on the stock motor on 100 RON=93 pump in the US when I get my FBM GTX2867r kit with a remote tune.

Then if I want to build the motor and get to 400+ hp with a GTX3076r I'll be pushing my luck with the trans. What do I do then? V160? CD009? There's not much lying around in my country so I decided to look at some gear sets. I checked on the forum, I searched in the internet and what I chose was this:
https://jackstransmissions.com/trans...ervice-brz-frs

And then I read a post about this which is waay more expensive and way more high-end:
https://jackstransmissions.com/trans...romesh-gearset

So the second one is a full gear set without syncros built for 700 wtq which is waaay too much for me. The first one offers a 4th gear problem solution and strenghtened syncros. As far as I've heard the complaint with the trans was the 4th gear thrust problem and the bad syncros as well as a long 1st and 2nd gear and a short 5th and 6th as far as I remember.

So what do you think? Should I fork out on the big gear set or is the syncro set gonna do just fine for a lower price (bear in mind that the shipment will be pretty rough since I live in Bulgaria)? Also the full gear set comes with free custom gear ratios and a straight cut gear version.

A GT86 auto trans will handle 400 hp, I picked up a low mileage spare from the wrecking yard for 200 $.
But you will need an external tranny oil cooler.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Boris_Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
What kind of driving are you planning to do? You can usually extend the limit of gears pretty far out by not using solid drivetrain bushings, and doing your best to prevent drivetrain shock (hard launches, flat foot shifting, clutch dumps in general, clutch kicks, etc)
Yeah, I know bad driving wears the trans down and I will drive reasonably with track abuse probably 3 times in 2 months (I'm not a huge fan of flat foot shifting and hard launches myself), but thanks for the asvice on bushings!

Old 04-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
Boris_Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
A GT86 auto trans will handle 400 hp, I picked up a low mileage spare from the wrecking yard for 200 $.

But you will need an external tranny oil cooler.
Do you think I'll need a trans cooler on a manual?

Old 04-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
How good are your fabrication skills? Or, do you have access to good fabricators for cheap?
I'd see if it would be possible to adapt a ZF transmission from the E46/E90/E60 diesels.
The GS6-37DZ or GS6-53DZ are six-speed manual transmissions that handle a lot of power and torque, and they can easily be found for under €600.

People use them over here in drag and drift cars, pushing way over 700 whp, some even more, using 2JZ's, LS1/2/3s, turbocharged BMW inline sixes and so on.
The Following User Says Thank You to sqd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd do that, but there aren't a lot of used z transes here, It's a small country and people normally drive riced out BMWs.

https://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-favq...t-frs/brz.aspx

This kit comes with a new transmission (probably because it needs a machined input shaft to work.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Boris_Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
https://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-favq...t-frs/brz.aspx

This kit comes with a new transmission (probably because it needs a machined input shaft to work.
How are they gonna ship that tranny from 'merica

Old 04-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #13
Boris_Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
How good are your fabrication skills? Or, do you have access to good fabricators for cheap?
I'd see if it would be possible to adapt a ZF transmission from the E46/E90/E60 diesels.
The GS6-37DZ or GS6-53DZ are six-speed manual transmissions that handle a lot of power and torque, and they can easily be found for under €600.

People use them over here in drag and drift cars, pushing way over 700 whp, some even more, using 2JZ's, LS1/2/3s, turbocharged BMW inline sixes and so on.
We have some good fabricators, expecially ones with expirience on BMWs, but I'm not sure on its reliability. BMWs are known to leak oil and get new trannys and vanoses left and right. Don't know about this trans tho. Also, do you have info on getting an OEM one or are they used only?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
We have some good fabricators, expecially ones with expirience on BMWs, but I'm not sure on its reliability. BMWs are known to leak oil and get new trannys and vanoses left and right. Don't know about this trans tho. Also, do you have info on getting an OEM one or are they used only?

I'm not entirely sure what you base the "get new trannys" information on though But they're made by ZF and I guarantee you they're excellent transmissions, especially for the price. The VANOS-system has nothing to do with the transmissions anyway And VANOS was more of a problem on the E39/E46-era, especially the early models.. Though I'm sure it has caused issues later too, but not that much so it's a common issue on newer cars..

But anyway, that is not what we're talking about
I only know of used ones. Not a huge issue in my eyes, since I know how people use them. Abuse them on track with 700+ wheel horsepower, and they seem to hold up very well. Compare that to a, what, 500 whp, mostly street-driven GT86.. It'll last a long, long time

Hell, I bought a smaller/weaker BMW/ZF trans from a E46 320D to use in my Nissan S14 when I was swapping in a LS1 V8. Never got around to using it though, since I sold it before I finished it (and bought my GT86 right after it sold!).

A friend of mine is putting a GS6 into his S13 drift car right now. It'll run "only" about 400 whp though, but I'm sure it will see more abuse than your car, since I know how he drives, both on the street and the track
The Following User Says Thank You to sqd For This Useful Post: