follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Wow glad you're ok. Sucks to damage the car, but any crash you can walk away from...

BTW I take it from the second video that your normal track-out line exiting that corner takes you two-off? Isn't that a bit too risky?
But any crash you can walk away from is... EXPENSIVE! It's always so goddamn expensive!

And no, if you watch the 2nd video in its entirety you will see that it is not my normal line to set 2 tires off. I was just saying that it's generally so safe to do so that when I don't get the corner setup right I can put a couple off without losing lap time, it's never an issue..well, until it was. I've even driven off all 4 and stayed WOT up the hill and didn't even give up a position (wish I could find that video).

I have many hundreds of laps at this track over the course of the last decade or so and I've been off or spun just about everywhere. But of all the corners at this track that I thought might claim my car I never though it would be turn 6.

I just want to add, my qualifying time in my 115hp 2250lb CRX was a 1:39.6 on a Toyo RR. I was proud of that.
CSG Mike (08-13-2015), DarkSunrise (08-13-2015), glamcem (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #16
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Ouch, that looked painful, especially after that first initial impact.

Us SoCal people are spoiled; all our tracks either have HUGE runoffs, or a nice solid wall, rather than just nature and a dirt ditch....

Glad you made it out relatively unscathed; the car is always replaceable.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #17
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
But any crash you can walk away from is... EXPENSIVE! It's always so goddamn expensive!

And no, if you watch the 2nd video in its entirety you will see that it is not my normal line to set 2 tires off. I was just saying that it's generally so safe to do so that when I don't get the corner setup right I can put a couple off without losing lap time, it's never an issue..well, until it was. I've even driven off all 4 and stayed WOT up the hill and didn't even give up a position (wish I could find that video).

I have many hundreds of laps at this track over the course of the last decade or so and I've been off or spun just about everywhere. But of all the corners at this track that I thought might claim my car I never though it would be turn 6.

I just want to add, my qualifying time in my 115hp 2250lb CRX was a 1:39.6 on a Toyo RR. I was proud of that.
Ah that makes sense. Wasn't critiquing at all, just genuinely curious (I've seen guys intentionally drive two-off during race situations, but wasn't sure if you were saying that was your normal line.)

Actually that reminds me of a guy I know who competes in NASA TT. I was riding with him once and he went two-off into gravel going 85 mph at corner exit and was completely unfazed by it. I, on the other hand, was a wee bit pale. He basically stated that as long as your steering is straight and both tires go off about the same time, it's not a huge deal. I'm sure that's right, but still find it hard not to leave ~8" of track curbing in reserve. I wonder if that will change over time haha.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #18
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Ouch. Main thing is you're OK and it looks like you were well prepared.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #19
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Glad you're ok.
RaceCar:2013 Scion FR-S #986 NASA PTD || Tow:2011 Dodge Durango R/T
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #20
FrX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1993 Lexus SC300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ouch. Awesome that the safety stuff did it's job. Glad you aren't too banged up. Reaffirms my decision to get a full cage put into my tin-can rallycross CRX (HF).
FrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #21
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Ah that makes sense. Wasn't critiquing at all, just genuinely curious (I've seen guys intentionally drive two-off during race situations, but wasn't sure if you were saying that was your normal line.)

Actually that reminds me of a guy I know who competes in NASA TT. I was riding with him once and he went two-off into gravel going 85 mph at corner exit and was completely unfazed by it. I, on the other hand, was a wee bit pale. He basically stated that as long as your steering is straight and both tires go off about the same time, it's not a huge deal. I'm sure that's right, but still find it hard not to leave ~8" of track curbing in reserve. I wonder if that will change over time haha.
Going off safely, is a skill you learn with experience.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #22
Special_K
Bannéd

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Thanked 2,077 Times in 911 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
The second I saw the front right grab traction I let out an audible "Oh shit!" That's some scary stuff to know there's no recovering in that tight a space once the back-end decides it would rather lead than follow. Glad you're alright man!
The fascinating thing about my signature is that by the time you realize that it is of no importance, it will also be too late to stop reading it. Good luck getting those five seconds of your life back.
Special_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #23
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
The new shell is in the shop getting a seat mount bracket fabbed up along with some minor updates on the cage. I get it back next weekend. This weekend I begin stripping the old car and figuring out what can or cannot be used. I have 5 weekends before the final race of the season which I hope to make. I think I can have this done in time. Lots of work though but I have a good friend helping me.

New car will be white inside and out. Old car was red (which I plastidipped orange). I'm thinking, in true Clarkson fashion, of adding 2 offset orange racing stripes to pay homage to the old car.
Sleepless (08-14-2015), Ultramaroon (08-15-2015)