follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Ty89m

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Socket set and torque wrench

I'm building up a better tool collection now that I'm getting serious about doing the maintenance/modding on my FR-S. Ready to bit the bullet and start buying Snap-On sockets and wrenches. So today I picked up a small 1/4 drive ratchet, and a longer 3/8 drive with 4" extension and a wobble adapter. I'm about to pull the trigger on some metric chrome sockets, and am curious if I'd be better suited with standard shallow, or deep sockets? Perhaps I could compromise and get the semi-deep sockets?

While I'm at it, should I even worry about 1/2 ratchets or sockets at this point? I plan to use a breaker bar (1/2) and socket for the lugs, but can't imagine I'll need 1/2 for much else at the moment. How about torque wrenches? Sounds like I'll need something small (perhaps 1/4" drive) for the fasteners that call for in.lbs, and something like 3/8" drive for the larger stuff. Any input on something decent that won't completely break the bank? I'd love to get a Snap-On click or possibly digital, but I just can't spare $350 atm, plus I'd need two, one for smaller in.lb and another for ft.lb. Considering a Gearwrench, or even Craftsman if I have too. Even thought about the Harbor Freight ones...

My first real project will be replacing the rear shift bushing with either the Kartboy short shift kit bushing, or the Perrin bushing. So hoping to get the 3/8" Torque wrench soon, still undecided on click/bar/digital though... Any thoughts?
Ty89m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
JDM FRS

Drives: Scion FRS(Whiteout)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'd probably go craftsman or even kobalt for the torque wrench. With how often I actually use a torque wrench I'd rather replace it maybe once and still pay way less than a snapon version. I don't think I'd ever go snapon though. I'm not a full on mechanic or even use the tools often enough for me to shell out that much money. Most i go is craftsman. But I like my kobalt tools too.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
JDM FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
everything you listed could be done with crap from harbor freight for about the cost of a diy oil change

hell you could even pick up a nice rolling tool case and still have cash left over compared to snap on prices.

if you don't make a living with tools you don't need tools that are priced at make a living off them rates, hell or even craftsman prices

the big kobalt kits are on sale frequently too

/flamesuit before harbor freight bashers show.

i will say my 1/2 hf torque wrench is a piece of shit, but it works well enough for the $20 or whatever it cost.

and the 42" cases are fantastic, really pretty much any of the better grade cases they sell are,

never used the hand tools, but they advertise lifetime warranties, and your demands are pretty basic.

Last edited by utekineir; 07-27-2013 at 10:30 PM.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Ty89m

Thanks for the opinions guys, I'm quite aware that tools costing a quarter the cost would be "good enough" for most basic jobs, but I've always wanted some nicer tools, and am quite happy I finally had the opportunity to pick some up. The fact they're made in the US is a bonus.

But regardless of what brand tool I/you are using, has anyone found a need for deep well sockets on these cars? Perhaps the exhaust hangers? Might just stick with my cheap open-end wrenches for the times a deep well socket would be useful.

Thinking the HF torque wrenches might be the way to go, though the digital Craftsmans/Gearwrench torques look like they'd be awfully user friendly. Probably grab the HF just to have on hand, and if I find myself needing something better I'll go from there.

I will agree, the HF roll cabs/boxes are actually pretty darn nice! I may like Snap On ratchets/sockets, and as much as I'd love to have a Snap On box, it will never happen. To get something equivalent to the HF boxes (size), you'd be spending upwards of $5000 easy. Yikes!

Thanks again guys...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
utekineir
blowhard

imo its worth having atleast a cheap set of deep wells around just for the sake of it

which is really where harbor freight comes in handy,

picking up things you may one day need, that will save a trip out in the middle of working on something for a dirt cheap price while you're there.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Ty89m

Good thinking, if it's not something I'll be using all that often, makes no sense to purchase higher end sockets/tools. I'll check out HF and Lowes/Home Depot for some cheap deep wells and torque wrenches, hell I'll probably go cheap on the breaker bar as well.

Thanks to you I'm thinking about picking up one of the HF roll cabs for the garage ha! I can just throw a Snap-On sticker on the front and call it good
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
utekineir
blowhard

my hf breaker bar is going on 4 or 5 years and still working like a champ,

actually have 3 of the 42" cases and a cart here.

the bench top in that pic was a $6 surplus door with some stain and poly slapped on,

dont forget a box of latex gloves or two while you're there
Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
DragynVyrus

Drives: FRS, MR2
coming from a guy that makes a living off his tools, you really dont need snap-on for too much. you absolutely get what you pay for with their ratchets though, the 90 tooth engagement makes life soooo much better, mechanic or not those are just a must have if you're going to be wrenching a bit. as far as sockets go, I'd get the deeps if you have to pick one or the other. Just don't cheap out too much, when you're giving that one bolt all you have and the socket cracks that extra cash will be suddenly worth it. I've been using a set of Stanley sockets 8 hours 5 days a week for the past 4 years and have only split one, even using them regularly with my impact(big no no i know). Don't bother with 1/2" sockets now, either buy a 3/8-1/2 adapter or a 21mm 1/2" drive socket for the breaker bar if all you're going to use it for is lugs.
DragynVyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Ty89m

Yeah, love that stained door on top of your roll cab.. May have to do something similar.

I agree, the Snap On ratchets are a real pleasure to use, very happy with my purchases so far. Will go cheap on the other less used tools. I'll be making a run to HF and the local big box stores before too long, see what they have to offer in the way of torque wrenches and what not.

Thanks again guys, appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Harbor Freight has a lifetime warranty on torque wrenches and the breaker bar. Hell of a deal and mine are going strong. All I do is bring it back if I break it. I don't use mine very often though.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
Doborder
Godzilla Konvert

Drives: DMG BRZ Limited 6MT 2013
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I broke my HF torque wrench after 3 years of use and they gave me a new one. No question asked.

Last edited by Doborder; 07-29-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Doborder is offline   Reply With Quote