follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
boozinix

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bought a used FR-S, it didn't come with a keyfob. What to do?

Hi
I recently purchased a used 2013 Scion FR-S (for cheap , sort of) in SF Bay Area. Now, the car only came with a single manual key, no fob, which works well to manually unlock the car and start/operate it.

Now, I do want to get a keyfob to lock/unlock the doors. I talked to my local dealership, they are asking for $240 for new oem key and $80 to program it.

I wanted to know if I get a $17 key from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...JYEWos&vxp=mtr), have it cut, can I self program it just to lock/unlock doors? I saw some threads here which list the steps to do that. Is that good enough? What else does the "programming" at dealership include?

Also, best-buy offers remote start and security system for $250 . If I just get something like that, would that fob be good enough for what I am looking for?

Thanks for reading.
boozinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
contact a dealer

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
sgtcarrot

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015 Blue and stock
There are a whole bunch of posts, the above one is the short answer.

The long answer is that this is pretty complicated, in part because of a) the chip in the key and b) the radio transmitter that is programmed to the car. Obviously for security ( we do not want just anybody able to copy and open any car) these are coded, and any other solution other than working with the dealer will be time consuming, sketchy, and very much likely to not work.

I have seen some people get around this by installing a push start system, but that seems like a lot of work.

Consider that you saved money on the purchase price specifically because of this, pretty much everybody would need to go to the dealer. Sucks, but it is a great car, you will love it, and the convenience (plus having a spare key) is well worth it.

Anyways, that is my take having lurked here these past few years, good luck with whatever approach you take. (Google search this site for older, lengthier posts,they are here).
sgtcarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtcarrot For This Useful Post:
Cole (02-16-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
tCsonfrs

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #207
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozinix View Post
Hi
I recently purchased a used 2013 Scion FR-S (for cheap , sort of) in SF Bay Area. Now, the car only came with a single manual key, no fob, which works well to manually unlock the car and start/operate it.

Now, I do want to get a keyfob to lock/unlock the doors. I talked to my local dealership, they are asking for $240 for new oem key and $80 to program it.

I wanted to know if I get a $17 key from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...JYEWos&vxp=mtr), have it cut, can I self program it just to lock/unlock doors? I saw some threads here which list the steps to do that. Is that good enough? What else does the "programming" at dealership include?

Also, best-buy offers remote start and security system for $250 . If I just get something like that, would that fob be good enough for what I am looking for?

Thanks for reading.

"Programming" as you put it includes making the key work with the immobilizer system, and the remote part work with the car. It also deletes any previously programmed keys ro remotes from the car, so make sure to leave your old key with them at the time of programming so it doesn't become obsolete.
tCsonfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #5
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I will just recommend OEM.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Your valet key should of hopefully came with some sort of tag that has an ID for the key, if you contact the dealer and provide that information you should be good to go, key fobs obviously aren't cheap though.. might be a few hundred to get the replacement.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
boozinix

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Your valet key should of hopefully came with some sort of tag that has an ID for the key, if you contact the dealer and provide that information you should be good to go, key fobs obviously aren't cheap though.. might be a few hundred to get the replacement.
For the Fob, I have seen a range, from $17 on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...JYEWos&vxp=mtr ) to some running $170 online. What's the difference, I can't seem to confirm?

Like I said, dealer wants $240 just for the key only?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
boozinix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCsonfrs View Post
"Programming" as you put it includes making the key work with the immobilizer system, and the remote part work with the car. It also deletes any previously programmed keys ro remotes from the car, so make sure to leave your old key with them at the time of programming so it doesn't become obsolete.
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for being a noob here, but does the immobilizer prevents the car from being start if unlocked manually? Right now, I have no fob or any unlocking keyless method. I only have a simple manual key, to manually unlock the doors without any fob.

So if I get a cheap key off ebay, can i just use it to lock/unlock doors without the immobilizer system?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
boozinix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcarrot View Post
There are a whole bunch of posts, the above one is the short answer.

The long answer is that this is pretty complicated, in part because of a) the chip in the key and b) the radio transmitter that is programmed to the car. Obviously for security ( we do not want just anybody able to copy and open any car) these are coded, and any other solution other than working with the dealer will be time consuming, sketchy, and very much likely to not work.

I have seen some people get around this by installing a push start system, but that seems like a lot of work.

Consider that you saved money on the purchase price specifically because of this, pretty much everybody would need to go to the dealer. Sucks, but it is a great car, you will love it, and the convenience (plus having a spare key) is well worth it.

Anyways, that is my take having lurked here these past few years, good luck with whatever approach you take. (Google search this site for older, lengthier posts,they are here).
Hello, thanks for the detailed response. Im curious, if I goto Bestbuy for something like this ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/remote-s...?skuId=5518501 ), can I get away without going to a dealer for a key fob system? Like I said, I have a fobless key, which manually unlocks doors and thats it. Don't believe there is any functioning immobilizer system on it yet.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hello, thanks for the detailed response. Im curious, if I goto Bestbuy for something like this ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/remote-s...?skuId=5518501 ), can I get away without going to a dealer for a key fob system? Like I said, I have a fobless key, which manually unlocks doors and thats it. Don't believe there is any functioning immobilizer system on it yet.
If you're willing to spend $189.99 for that IMHO just get the fob and get it programed by the dealer.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
boozinix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
If you're willing to spend $189.99 for that IMHO just get the fob and get it programed by the dealer.
Dealer is still $350 for ONE key...
Old 02-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
SocalMonsta

Drives: White FRS
Quote:
Dealer is still $350 for ONE key...
That sounds expensive. Maybe contact another dealer, but chipped keys tend to be v complicated. Also, the ppl in this thread are giving you a lot of false info, just stick w past posts.
SocalMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
your dealer fking stole it to make you pay for replacement...
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
boozinix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalMonsta View Post
That sounds expensive. Maybe contact another dealer, but chipped keys tend to be v complicated. Also, the ppl in this thread are giving you a lot of false info, just stick w past posts.
Yes I am trying to get another quote but I am going to guess that's going to be normal for everyone of them.

If I do the following with the ebay key, would I just be able to lock/unlock the doors? (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-existing.html)

Tags
fob, fr-s, key, key fob, keyless entry