follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #43
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
..... Sounds like you are all having issues because you have NO idea what you are doing to your car. :P
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Wilso (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #44
Wilso
"Patience young Padawan"

Drives: 2017 Crystal White BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
..... Sounds like you are all having issues because you have NO idea what you are doing to your car. :P
LOL it's not my first time installing stuff. Just never had this particular issue and just trying to troubleshoot -__-"
Wilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:58 AM   #45
DGMlJDlBRZ

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Figured out my problem...Was the Valenti Reverse bumper light. I assume it was the flashing function of the triangle. Rewired it to where the triangle only comes on solid when the brakes are applied and the issue is now gone.
DGMlJDlBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #46
Totality

Drives: gt-86
Electrical Gremilins. My car suffered from random ABS lights at the weirdest times. No logic. I was familiar with over sensitivity to voltage drop issues in Euro car ABS systems. I thought maybe my LiFePO4 (Lithium battery) was cutting out or unstable at high running temps. Found a very good diligent Toyota Technician. First time he spent a day with the car and finally cleared the codes. Second time spent a day and traced the problem to the ground connector on battery. This has a built-in temperature switch and ground fault protection.

It is a known problem. Toyota is replacing cable free of charge under warranty. Just no parts in Taiwan...need to wait two weeks. Mine is getting worse and worse. Means I do not have ABS.

At the track we can not do pedal dance. Infact we thought ABS was off with pedal dance but know we know that is not true after smoking a few tires with the light on.
Totality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #47
Wilso
"Patience young Padawan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totality View Post
Electrical Gremilins. My car suffered from random ABS lights at the weirdest times. No logic. I was familiar with over sensitivity to voltage drop issues in Euro car ABS systems. I thought maybe my LiFePO4 (Lithium battery) was cutting out or unstable at high running temps. Found a very good diligent Toyota Technician. First time he spent a day with the car and finally cleared the codes. Second time spent a day and traced the problem to the ground connector on battery. This has a built-in temperature switch and ground fault protection.

It is a known problem. Toyota is replacing cable free of charge under warranty. Just no parts in Taiwan...need to wait two weeks. Mine is getting worse and worse. Means I do not have ABS.

At the track we can not do pedal dance. Infact we thought ABS was off with pedal dance but know we know that is not true after smoking a few tires with the light on.
Hmmm. I boosted my friend's car a couple of weeks ago, I wonder if I have a loose connection
Old 05-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #48
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMlJDlBRZ View Post
Anyone else have other ideas/opinions on what could cause the Traction light and ABS light to turn on?

It just happened to me tonight while coming to stop at a red light.

I figured instead of making a whole new thread with basically the same issue, I'd just post in here.

Anyways, the lights turned on while driving. I pulled over and shut the car off. Let it sit for about a minute and started the car up again. Lights went away, but shortly after taking off and stepping on the brake pedal, both lights came back on. I did this about three times on my way home.

When I got home, I noticed that my brake lights weren't working either. Parking lights, reverse lights, and turn signals all work fine. Checked the 7.5A brake light fuse underneath the dash, and it was blown. Replaced it with a new one, stepped on the brakes, and they still didn't work. Checked the new fuse, and it was blown as well.

My car does have JDM TOMS tail lights and the Valenti rear brake/fog light/reverse light (modified it for the triangle to stay off and flash/light up when brake pedal is pressed...V light works fine along with parking lights on taillights)

My driver side tail light connector wires on the car harness side had to be resoldered because they tore apart when I installed he wire tap connectors supplied with the Valenti light.

So I will have to check all connections, but wanted to know could a short in the taillights or Valenti light cause the ABS light and Traction light to turn on? I want to say it could be the brake light switch as well so I'll have to check it also.

Funny I just started having same issue with Toms after install.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #49
Wilso
"Patience young Padawan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Funny I just started having same issue with Toms after install.
Hmmm.. Maybe I'll swap out my Tom's and put the stocks back in and see what happens
Old 05-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #50
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Hmmm.. Maybe I'll swap out my Tom's and put the stocks back in and see what happens

You would not happened to have any gauges piggy backed off the tail light fuse?

I also have just added oil pressure gauge and used tail light fuse for dimmer. Also I noticed its easy to recreate by just letting the car idle and holding the brake pedal down for a while almost like its either a temp/voltage issue.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #51
Wilso
"Patience young Padawan"

Quote:
You would not happened to have any gauges piggy backed off the tail light fuse?

I also have just added oil pressure gauge and used tail light fuse for dimmer. Also I noticed its easy to recreate by just letting the car idle and holding the brake pedal down for a while almost like its either a temp/voltage issue.
Nope, Just the Clear Tom's tail lights. I've had them in for about a month now before this popped up.. just seems weird the lights came on when I did my coilovers
Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #52
Wilso
"Patience young Padawan"

So my lights are from a dead ABS sensor. Probably when I did my coilovers. If you have these lights its worth a check at the dealer to make sure your sensors aren't dead. Tech said the sensors are very sensitive and fragile T_T
Old 06-05-2014, 02:07 AM   #53
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
So my lights are from a dead ABS sensor. Probably when I did my coilovers. If you have these lights its worth a check at the dealer to make sure your sensors aren't dead. Tech said the sensors are very sensitive and fragile T_T

When did your lights come on? (Abs/traction) at a stop or just driving?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #54
Wilso
"Patience young Padawan"

Quote:
When did your lights come on? (Abs/traction) at a stop or just driving?
As soon as I turned on my car after installing my coils
Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #55
Dezoris

I think this thread has multiple causes. I believe mine is related to brake switch tsb. Just happens i installed toms tails and pressure gauge at same time i noticed the abs light.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #56
Totality

Drives: gt-86
The ABS cable itself is usually the problem, not the ABS sensor on the end.

ABS cables/wire use very thin wire strands. If you over extend or kink the cable you can break strands in the cable. This is not visible. Even if you check with ohm meter comes up OK. However depending how bad the break it can corrupt signal and trip a fault. Temperature and motion can be triggers in this situation.

Always disconnect and tie back your ABS wires when you are doing suspension work.
Totality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Totality For This Useful Post:
Wilso (03-01-2015)