follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Juliesfrs

Drives: White Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help picking wheels

Hi everyone.

Im looking into buying new wheels and tires but I am having trouble figuring out what width, offset, and tire sizing I would need. Currently have stock size wheels and tires on my 2014 Fr-s. Wanted to know what size would be good if i want to go wider and the adjustments that go along with it to avoid rubbing on suspension components or bodywork.

Going for the more flushed look so ill also be buying spacers if needed. 20mm front & 25mm back.

Lowering springs and coilers are a possibility as well if needed.
Juliesfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15007
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45554
Old 11-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Read up, use the tire/fitment calculator.
Avoid spacers if possible. Stay away from MPSS unless you pay under $120 per tire. If you pay more your a sucker and got duped.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,858 Times in 16,438 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliesfrs View Post
Hi everyone.

Im looking into buying new wheels and tires but I am having trouble figuring out what width, offset, and tire sizing I would need. Currently have stock size wheels and tires on my 2014 Fr-s. Wanted to know what size would be good if i want to go wider and the adjustments that go along with it to avoid rubbing on suspension components or bodywork.

Going for the more flushed look so ill also be buying spacers if needed. 20mm front & 25mm back.

Lowering springs and coilers are a possibility as well if needed.
Hello Juliesfrs and welcome to our helpful forum ......

I see ol @Tcoat fixed you up with some Sunday reading ......

I have a suggestion that will simplify your life.

For average driving in California, I suggest you just replace your tires (if they are worn out) with a set of good all-season tires of the OEM size, mounted on the OEM rims. Just leave the suspension alone, there ain't nothing wrong with it.

There ya go, I've simplified your life and saved you a bunch of money .....

These work for me:

humfrz

PS - for all of you folks that disagree with me ...... just leave me alone ..... I've already made up my mind and I'm off to tale a loooong nap
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Tirerack has a good selection and delivery policy and will almost never sell you something that won't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Stay away from MPSS unless you pay under $120 per tire. If you pay more your a sucker and got duped.
Curious why you don't like the MPSS? Sure there are better tires for specific purposes but as an all-rounder I'm pretty satisfied with mine.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Tirerack has a good selection and delivery policy and will almost never sell you something that won't fit.

Curious why you don't like the MPSS? Sure there are better tires for specific purposes but as an all-rounder I'm pretty satisfied with mine.
Price vs performance.
Also the incredible false sales pitches many members fail victim to when they need new tires and either get suckered by the dealer or the tire shop.

They end up paying way too much for a mediocre tire at a competitive street tire price. What's worse is they repeat the same lines to other inexperienced members and they end up in the same over priced hole.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I have to agree with MPSS not being all that as it's internet reputation indicates. I went from MPSS to a Firehawk Indy 500 and it's better in grip in dry and wet, durability, quieter and it costs less.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Price vs performance.

They end up paying way too much for a mediocre tire at a competitive street tire price.
What kind of performance? What are the alternatives and why are they better?

I'm not being a ****, I just want information.

I'm happy with my MPSS, they're no magic tire but they'll last me well over 20k miles of abuse at the rate they're going, I know there are grippier tires, quieter tires, longer lasting tires, etc. I'll probably be replacing them in about a year after putting ~14k miles on them in the past year and am keeping an eye out for an alternative street tire that can take a casual track day or autox or two or three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I went from MPSS to a Firehawk Indy 500 and it's better in grip in dry and wet, durability, quieter and it costs less.
I'll put them on my shortlist, right now the Continental Extremecontact Sport are next in my queue for my DD/backup track/autox tire.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
What kind of performance? What are the alternatives and why are they better?
In the wet, I can plow through deep water in the Indy 500 that I wouldn't feel comfortable with in the MPSS. In the dry, they just stick.
If I really push them and yank the wheel trying to break free like in a u-turn, they will let loose but in a more controlled way than the MPSS.
3 times I spun out on the highway with the MPSS(nutty driving I admit but nothing like it even close with the Indy 500). Of course I was
pushing them but the same maneuver with the Indy500 and they just grip and go.
The MPSS were on the car when I got it and I thought I got lucky but the close to 2 yrs/8k miles I put on them were not comforting with how squirrely they would get.
Maybe they need more heat to give the better performance but in a daily driver, we don't have time to warm up our tires every time we head to the grocery store.
They just were a bad tire in my opinion for my own safety. The car had 6 months/3.9k miles on it when I got it, so with my 8k I drove they lasted somewhere between
8k and 12k and they were dead.
I will say that the MPSS could have lasted a lit longer since as soon as I hit the wear bar, I replaced them. There was no way I would go any longer though with how bad they got at the end.
Somebody said they could have been old tires but they looked pretty new when I got the car so I doubt they were on there much of the first 3.9k life of the car.
At the time I replaced them, I was sliding all over the place. If you get 20k of hard driving, I will be amazed since it's the same car, same tire and what sounds like similar driving.
Then the price, even with the Michelin $70 discount going right now, the Indy500 is still $150 cheaper in 225/45/17.
They are 1 lb. heaver than the MPSS but that's the only downside of the tire that I see. If I was purchasing tires right now and knowing what I do after driving both of them,
I'd pay that $150 difference more but for the Firestones over the Michelins and be happy to do so.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 PM   #10
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
That escalated very fast, went from wheel specs to a debate of tires
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:47 AM   #11
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
If you get 20k of hard driving, I will be amazed since it's the same car, same tire and what sounds like similar driving.
I would agree that the internet hype train is probably overselling the MPSS, they certainly aren't super grippy unless your comparison is solely Primacy v PSS. (I've had Z2SS and RE71R's on my car)

Currently my MPSS have >14k street miles, >50x autox runs (they went on my car at 50k miles, currently at 64k, the Z2SS were on from ~30k-50k and way past their life, RE71R's are autox only on a dedicated wheelset). They are OE sized on OE wheels, how stable the car acts is much more influenced by alignment than tire choice in my experience.

Front:

Rear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
That escalated very fast, went from wheel specs to a debate of tires
OP wanted advice on tires too.

Quote:
Im looking into buying new wheels and tires but I am having trouble figuring out what width, offset, and tire sizing I would need.
Tire sizing will depend on wheel, I suggest staying between 17x7-17x8, staying with OE size is nice because the tires are usually <$150 so <$600 for a set of tires mounted and balanced, if you want to go wider (lower fuel economy, louder road noise, heavier steering) a modest bump to 7.5" or 8" wheels with a 225 tire is a reasonable upgrade.

The right wheel offset will require no modifications to clear suspension/bodywork other than your desired spacers for looks.

At roughly 300TW (give or take) you can find a nice balanced summer tire that isn't too expensive, loud, and will cover the 2 seasons experienced in most of California (hot & cool). Google search for reviews, look at TireRack's reviews and take everything with a grain of salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Teseo (11-27-2017)