follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #29
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Angle View Post
What kind of idiot would ride without a helmet. That sends chills up my spine just thinking about it.

uhhhh
Sadly, many thousands of your fellow Americans elect not to wear a helmet. You know, because our facial structure evolved to go 80 mph... oh, wait....
Chupacabra (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
I don't know if you're making a valid point Dave. I was stating that people always risk life when they get on a motorcycle. I don't believe it's necessary to further illustrate your view since we've already agreed upon the risks involved.

I'm only stating this because invoking fear is something that doesn't benefit anyone. I am not trying to offend you either, please understand that.
It is a valid point and I'm not offended. I have many friends who ride street bikes Harleys, BMWs, and crotch rockets. I'm just sayin' riding a motorcycle in the streets with a lot of cars is like riding through a war zone.
Be aware, good luck and God bless you.
I'm going to be having fun in my FRS!
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
Chupacabra (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #31
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
I think I'm at the point where I'd want to go through the MSF and learn to ride, just to say I've done it; it's something I've always wanted to do.

Taking the MSF course (or similar) is the ONLY way to learn to ride in my opinion.

I learned the old fashioned way (minibikes and dirt bikes on soft sandy trails in the piedmont of NC). I took the basic MSF course after riding off and on for 20 years as a way just to not have to take a state license exam. It was the best decision I ever made. I now plan to take their advanced course when I get my next bike.

The course will teach newbies the right way to ride and will teach us old birds, well, the right way to ride.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #32
meekhotglass

Drives: BRZED!
I'm selling a bike to by my BRZ. I have a Bandit 1250 which is an absolute blast - fantastic bike! I've been riding for 15 years and it still scares me. I love motorcycling and the intensity of the experience, but you can't account for deer and all the other crazies out there. Now that I have a fiancee in the mix, I don't want to risk it anymore.

I look forward to having an engaging driving experience and to enjoy the company of my lady beside me, not behind me - with a helmet on - perched uncomfortably on a too small seat - pretending to be having fun.

Another thing... I have a yamaha XT250 which I will be keeping. I LOVE this bike because every time I ride it, I ride it to all out. I love to think of of the BRZ like this - fun at practical & legal limits.

I should be getting my rally blue BRZ within the next two weeks & cant wait!!!
meekhotglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #33
fastdrivingjr

Drives: Ducati 749 / Ktm Smc lc4 supermoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fanatic View Post
I saw a few members in the BRZ / FR-S sub forums have given up waiting for the car and ended up buying a motorcycle instead.

That got me thinking and being bored a few weekends ago I tried out a local MSF course (100$ all weekend bikes provided motorcycle safety course which gets you a motorcycle license if you pass in most states). It ended up being a ton of fun and now I'm seriously considering buying a bike instead of the FR-S. It was a completely new experience for me and was really fun learning a new skill and exploring a different type of machine. After being on a bike for 5 hours a day both Saturday and Sunday, it made going back to driving a car just seem so.... boring.

Anyone else in the same boat? I could buy a brand new starter motorcycle (Ninja 250r/CBR250R) for a few months to learn, then upgrade to a seriously interesting bike down the road for much less then the entry price of a FR-S.

If anything I'd recommend at least trying out a local MSF course for a weekend - I had a great experience.

okay im going to be straight forward with this...

My only main transportation is motorcycles.. I owned a 08 ninja 250r as my second motorcycle.. Perfect to learn on fast enough to ride with the big guys on the highway.. Good on gas.. Gets girls(who dont know its only a 250)

New riders
1. Scared to go on the highway-- you need to grow some balls yet look out for yourself and take your time..
2. New riders usually crash a bike.. more than once.. thank god i learned on a dirt bike.
3. Trying to show off and go fast- Its unfortunate that many have nearly died due to this
4.Practice makes perfect.. Get a cheap XR series honda to learn on.. best to learn on
5. POWER STEERING/WEIGHT TRANSFER/BRAKING..-- Learn before you try on the public roads..

Now you loose
1. AVOIDING CRASHES DAILY---yes daily not joking one bit
2. rain- for those who dont ride in the rain its a show stopper
but i can take it
3.Night riding is great but theres alot you cant see
4. Invest in good leathers incase you go down-$1500
5. you will want an exhaust-$500
6. Always have offensive riding habits(that car looks like its going to hit me)
and think for the driver(im going to hit that bike)
-- because it will happen
7. I WILL SAY LOUDLY... EVERYONE WILL WANT TO RACE YOU EVEN MINI VANS.. DONT FALL FOR IT... i taught myself not to fall for ing on everyone.. Because i can..

Good thoughts
1. Not everyone can ride a bike- you getting chicks now
2. the feeling of riding is like no other
3.Just riding motorcycles i cant explain but it rocks at any speed

im 20
i have a KTM SMC LC4 SUPER MOTARD completely modiefied to the max
and
a Ducati 749

i had a ninja 250r put 30,000 miles on it in i had for it for 3 years
i have 10,000 that ive done on my duc ive had for 1 year soon
and 7000 on my ktm.. first bike i road on the street.

and im 20 so for the past 3.5 years ive done a rough 47,000 miles on motorcycles if you know about bikes... thats alot.. avoid crashes almost daily..
Might be young but i ride better than anyone i know..

TAKE THIS ADVICE SERIOUS
IF YOU PLAN TO RIDE
1. learn on a dirtbiketest all of your thoughts crash yourself softly
2. dont buy the most expensive 250 650.... trust me haha you will regret it
3.watch a moto gp A-Z video lol
4. Watch.. ON ANY SUNDAY
5. Buy a good set of leathers.. dont be cheap its your life your buying
6. Once you have a fast nice bike.. enjoy it slowly heh gigity
7. dont ride in big packs when first learning!!

First learning dirt bike could be a 250 super moto honda.. you can trash it and still ride it after.. take it on the road and learn the littles..

..mk im done
fastdrivingjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #34
fastdrivingjr

Drives: Ducati 749 / Ktm Smc lc4 supermoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
The ninja 250 is a great bike. I've had mine for 2 years. I've ridden on the track, on the highway, in the canyons and it doesn't disappoint. Certainly more power would be nice but it'll do everything you need it to. If you get an 08+ get some pirelli Diablo rossos on it they are amazing on this bike. Forget the haters of the 250 I've smoked squids in the corners on the 250. The 250 is kinda like what the 86 is. I had a lot of fun riding 600s and 1000s I'll probably get a zx6r in the future and probably make my 250 a dedicated track bike. That'll be awhile though.

Certainly do be careful on the roads and wear all the gear. I've had many people just ignore my existence on the road.assume everyone is going to do wrong by you, assume you can't be seen, and even assume the road is unsafe.
hahah i had a ninja 250 and passed 1000s on corners.. it pissed them off.. best handling bike ive ever riden.. when i had one i was dragging knee every day..
fastdrivingjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fastdrivingjr For This Useful Post:
GenkiElite (06-22-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #35
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Nothing under $80-100K will beat a bike. Well, almost nothing.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #36
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
I have a Ninja 500. Bought it as a starter bike but have no plans to let it go. Excellent bike.

I, too, was in the processing of buying a new car when I decided to go for a bike instead just like the OP.

But now that I have conquered the bike, and the novelty has worn off a bit, and I'm realizing that bikes are no good for transportation (transportation vs riding for pleasure) - I'm back in the car hunt.

Enjoy the bike hunt, OP.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #37
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Angle View Post
What kind of idiot would ride without a helmet.
The same kind of idiot that would do 150mph in a subdivision...
sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:
GenkiElite (06-22-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #38
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
Don't listen to people with 2 inch wide checken strips saying a 250 isnt enough. Typically these are also the words of guys on litre bikes that crack the throttle every now and then bet never get close to getting a knee down. Get a 250, master it and wax fools on 600's and 1ks on a road course. Happens all the time and I love it.
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #39
Citified

Drives: BRZ (black)
DO IT! Riding is extraordinarily fun and riding fast will get your juices flowing like (almost) nothing else will. I rode for years and loved every minute, even the close calls. They kept me aware of my own mortality and fed the desire to make the most of every minute I'll have on this planet.

However, at this point I won't be riding again until my kids are no longer directly dependent on me for their daily food and shelter. Can't take that risk.

If you're not keeping someone else alive, I highly recommend that you do it to increase you're enjoyment of life.
Citified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #40
Motopythons
Let it rain!

Drives: 2012 Subaru Imprezza
I'm selling my bike to get the BRZ. You get bored with bikes, but at least after you got bored with your car, you can still commute with it.

Unless you live where the sun shines most of the year.
Motopythons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
leej

Drives: 86 GTS
i agree dude, if the 86 is going to be only a recreational vehicle i'd definitely stick to a motorbike! save your money from the 86 and trick out ur bike instead =] and you'll most likely have left over money as well

here's my bike (in the foreground) never regretted the day i bought her =]
leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #42
Dark_Angle

Drives: 91 Turbo Mr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
The same kind of idiot that would do 150mph in a subdivision...
U mad
Dark_Angle is offline   Reply With Quote