follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Dazza

Drives: Tornado Grey Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How did you make the decision to buy an 86/brz?

Although I had been half following the FT86 story from some years ago, my own pathway to 86 ownership (well I have placed an order at least) is unusual, so I thought I would post this question.

I currently drive a BMW 530i (e39) but it was only ever meant to be a short term ownership proposition. I won't recount my original plan here, but suffice to say it all went pear shaped on me after selling my BMW e46 M3 convertible to pay for the planned acquisition gone wrong. Needless to say the "trouble an strife" has been quite annoyed with me and my "disease" as she calls it, I call it a simple obsession, but I guess I am somewhat of a car tragic.

Anyway I have had to sell a couple of cars, including the 530 (I have 2, 17 year old boys and the 530, although P Plate friendly, is considered by the wife to be too powerful for the boys.....no comments please re power to weight ratios....I know) and the conversation turns to my next acquisition.

My immediate thought was an Alfa 147 GTA when she asked me the question. My thought was I wanted a manual car again (the M3 was an SMG), I adore the sound of an Alfa V6 (loved my old 3.0L 75) and the car was for me, not the boys, as was my M3, so it didn't matter that it wasn't P Plate friendly here in SA.

Well......it wasn't pretty, the wife gave me an earful and called me lots of names, though IDIOT seemed to be a favourite during her rant. After she finished I said....well I have been impressed by the new Toyota 86. At which point she stopped, looked at me and said.....YOU are considering a TOYOTA? To which I replied by saying......yes, it looks good, is very reasonably priced, is getting great reviews, has a 3yr 100,000km warranty, fixed price servicing, 4 seats (sort of) and the boys can drive it on P Plates. She says....show me a picture.

She takes one look at it, looks back at me and says....that has to be the smartest thing regarding cars I have ever heard come out of your mouth. She took me down to the dealership the very next day and ordered one!!!!!!!!!

So actually, it wasn't my decision but I can't wait to take delivery, nor can she or my boys. So its more than a car to me....its a marriage saviour.

Last edited by Dazza; 09-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
travace

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The wife and i had a dodge magnum that we got after the kids as our grocery getter. everyone keep telling me minivan and we were like HELLL NO!!!! at the time the dodge magnum was a fun family vehicle with plenty of room. Then eventually i got a truck F150 and that pretty much became the grocery getter so the wife was driving the pig (called the magnum cause of bad gas mileage) to work everyday. Not so good on our wallet so we started looking into a smaller car that has better gas mileage. We both like fun driving cars. she was looking into BMW's a lot and i was trying to steer her away. im only interested in teh M3's and its out of our price range. Then came along the FR-S .... good gas mileage, funnest dam car i ever drove, its sexy as hell and the price is great for us. didnt take long to talk her into it... she didnt even want to test drive it i did tho.

which brings me to another thread... what i hate the most about my FRS? i have to let her drive it to work
travace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I wanted a new car, wanted only 2 doors and wanted RWD.
friend kept emailing me pic after pic of the 86.
got a promotion at work at the right time, needed the car, put a deposit down and hopefully in the next couple of days ill finally get the car
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Was in the market for a fun, trackable everyday car, and was sorta decided on a Golf GTi. Friend of mine is a Toyota dealer, and was in his office for a completely unrelated matter. Of course the conversation turned to cars, and I was complaining that Toyota didn't have any proper fun cars. Well, I was wrong. he showed me pictures and a broshure, and I ordered the car a few days later. Hadn't even heard of it in may, now I've been dying to get my hands on it since. Got a testdrive in their democar as soon as they got it (3 weeks ago) and the wait got even longer!
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Garage
Followed the car from concept to production. Wanted something RWD for a change. Finally saw the car in person and fell in lust. Finally sat in the car and set the hook further. Called wife and she sat in the car. She felt the same way. Test drove car after qualifying to purchase and it was a done deal. DX'd a Silver for our Whiteout and the rest is history!
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Palmy

Drives: '12 86 GTS (AUDM)
I wanted a new, cheap sports car that wasn't front wheel drive.
There is nothing else for sale in this country that matches that description.
Palmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
RZ86

Drives: 2012 Toyota GT 86 Manual
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Was set on buying a 2011 VW Golf GTI 3-Door, almost ready to put a deposit down for one, and then the pricing and final details of the 86 came out. Safe to say (coming from a Toyota background, I couldn't resist) I called up a dealer the day the pricing was released.. 9 days later I had my 86 .
Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmy View Post
I wanted a new, cheap sports car that wasn't front wheel drive.
There is nothing else for sale in this country that matches that description.

i'm same as what Palmy said, only mine was also second hand and wanted something fresh.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
had an mx5 many years ago and had to sell it when we had kids. bought a few FWD hot hatches but always wanted a RWD again. followed the 86 since FT86 appeared in the Tokyo Motor Show and i have to buy one (if the price is right).

then the Golf GTI turned 3yo and the car started to have a few electronic glitches which is therefore a great excuse to "sell" to the wife. so i placed a deposit in Feb 12 and (im)patiently waited for the price/spec and the rest is history!!
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
onthemove

Drives: ...
Im buying mine because im young, and my mom hasnt decided to kick me out yet lol...

In all seriousness im just tired of driving crappy used cars that end up falling apart on me. The subaru brz is great for several reasons:
- its a subaru
- no turbo but still fun, so decent insurance prices
- it probably wont get me in trouble (im only 20, but believe it or not i am very very responsible when it comes to driving cars... motorcycles on the other hand )
- and i live in PA so heated seats are nice for me and the girl

It looks nice and sleek, has cool things to show off to friends (push button start, how it locks/unlocks)... Everyone i know has a 4 door or vw GTi/R32 (which i love) but its different with the RWD and i cant wait to let them try it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
onthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Devie

Drives: Tornado Grey 86 GTS
Decided to get one for a few reasons. I'm young and stupid. I can afford it. This will be my only debt and I'll have a 20k loan on it, which I will destroy pretty quick.
My Mini is getting a bit old in the legs, and cost of BMW parts is just attrocious.
So I wanted someting very similar to that. The new batch of Mini's are much softer than mine, and it really needs its SC back. So I walked away from that.
Looked at WRX, 370Z and 135i.
WRX a bit too ugly unless its widebody, 370Z and BMW too expensive. Non fun.

Been following the car for a while, price finally came down and had to get it. Now I play the waiting game.
Devie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Mine will be an R&D project.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Mine will be an R&D project.
would love to see your progress!!!

Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
st162celica

Drives: 86 GTS Manual - Tornado Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm very picky with cars. Had my car for 12 years and could never decide on what other car to get. Very close to buying a RZ TT supra a few times.

Been following the 86 for a few years and knew I had to wait for it. I could not settle for any other car. Celica is on its last legs at the moment.

Finally it's only a few weeks away.
st162celica is offline   Reply With Quote