follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #169
Saab2Frs

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just purchased the full system! Got it from teamczp.com! Awesome customer service.

At first, I just got a catback, but then decided to go full header back. Next is an intake.
Saab2Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #170
11RApearl

Drives: Scion FR-S
Anyone have trouble getting the tips to be symmetrical? i just installed my header back and the tips are not sticking out at the same length. One is out farther about half an inch than the other. If your looking at it from above you can definately tell a difference. Ive checked all connections especially the clamp connections and everything seems flush with eachother. But i did notice that the hangers on one side were pushed forward. i tried to apply pressure to straighten it but it just goes right back where it was. Do you think i need new hangers? (i wouldnt think so) Any ideas or comments would help. Ill call Perrin tomorrow but just wanted to ask the community while i wait.
11RApearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #171
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
You can tweak alignment of the tip by rotating the v-bands. Loosen the v-bands, both of them, then have someone pull the tips in the direction you want while while tweaking the rotation of the rear pipe. snug the v-bands back up and check the alignment. It takes some trial and error. I was able to do it by myself using my knees to push the muffler around but an extra set of hands will make the job easier.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobius357 For This Useful Post:
11RApearl (09-08-2013), PERRIN_Mladen (09-10-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #172
11RApearl

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius357 View Post
You can tweak alignment of the tip by rotating the v-bands. Loosen the v-bands, both of them, then have someone pull the tips in the direction you want while while tweaking the rotation of the rear pipe. snug the v-bands back up and check the alignment. It takes some trial and error. I was able to do it by myself using my knees to push the muffler around but an extra set of hands will make the job easier.

thanks man ill try that. i figured it had something to do with that since everything else really only fits one way. i appreciate the feedback!
11RApearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #173
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I got my Perrin Resonated Exhaust on last week. I also installed the Perrin Hangers. I'm getting the Shaking at the tips you described. Its really bad on the right tip vs the left tip.
@PERRIN_Chris ? This is still a issue after all these months? From talking with @zoomzoomers he had a faulty flex pipe. Ill get video of it tonight and upload it. I do have a auto as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
A couple of questions for you guys out there. I have an AT tranny so it may not closely reflect your applications, so keep that in mind.

I have a non-resonated Perrin CBE. I love the sound, but... I've developed a rattle in my CBE and it's beginning to get every so worse and is bothering me. Yesterday, I got out of the car and saw the tips shaking pretty severely at idle. I'll try to get a vid of it up if I get some time. It's bad when I'm at a stop or, strangely, when I'm turning the wheel at parking lot speeds. From the visual it looked like the muffler was loose from the hangers, but from what I can tell it's all tight under there. Mind you, there's no clunking or any metal on metal sounds at all, just a bit of a metalic rattle. So what do you guys think it may be? Someone said they had a similar issue until they got the Perrin hangers. Could that be the issue? If it is, is it a faulty design on Perrin's part? I mean it a CBE uses factory hangers there shouldn't be any issues with the hangers no? Any ideas at this point will be welcome.

I don't have a garage (live in a condo) and no chance to put the car on jacks/lifts so I'll have to wait till I get her on a rack before I can be sure, but that's not all that easy since I have to pay for a shop to do so. So it's quite difficult for me to snoop under the car for pretty much anything.

Now for part 2 of my questions. I'm really tempted to either get either the overpipe or the midpipe with cats or a combo of both. Now I think I'm about at the limits of the level of noise I'm willing to withstand. Do you guys think since I have the non-resonated CBE any of those listed combos will push the noise level above what I'm comfortable with now? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #174
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
@feldy, sending PM!
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #175
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
I got my Perrin Resonated Exhaust on last week. I also installed the Perrin Hangers. I'm getting the Shaking at the tips you described. Its really bad on the right tip vs the left tip.
@PERRIN_Chris ? This is still a issue after all these months? From talking with @zoomzoomers he had a faulty flex pipe. Ill get video of it tonight and upload it. I do have a auto as well.
Do you have an AT? Or a MT? The guys at Perrin sent me a new B pipe (mid pipe) without a flex joint and this seems to have fixed the problem. Hope they can solve your issue too.

It was a damn hassle for me to keep taking my car to a shop just to put it in the air. Not to mention that they charged me $20 each time to do it too. In the end, it still vibrates from time to time, but not as nearly as bad as it used to.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #176
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Yep Automatic. Chris is sending me a mid pipe with out the flex in it. Love these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Do you have an AT? Or a MT? The guys at Perrin sent me a new B pipe (mid pipe) without a flex joint and this seems to have fixed the problem. Hope they can solve your issue too.

It was a damn hassle for me to keep taking my car to a shop just to put it in the air. Not to mention that they charged me $20 each time to do it too. In the end, it still vibrates from time to time, but not as nearly as bad as it used to.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #177
FearBoy

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just installed a Perrin resonated catback with five Kartboy urethane hangers and got perfect tip alignment in the rear and plenty of resonator/tunnel clearance. When I went out for my first drive and got hot, I noticed some low rumbling noises coming from the rear. I found that the pipe with one hanger was hitting the rear crossmember. I tried realigning everything to add more clearance, but the most I have now is less than a 1/4". I also noticed that the Perrin exhaust hangers do not fit tightly in the stock or urethane hangers. I think this allows more exhaust movement, which only worsens my clearance issue.

Other than that, this system is well made and sounds amazing.
FearBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #178
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
The two spots to look at are the v-bands, and the ridig hanger on the front pipe, that has maybe 1/2" of adjustment. Rotating the v-bands is very versatile.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #179
FearBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius357 View Post
The two spots to look at are the v-bands, and the ridig hanger on the front pipe, that has maybe 1/2" of adjustment. Rotating the v-bands is very versatile.
The s-pipe will not rotate any further due to the metal hanger fighting the Kartboy bushing. I will get back under the car tonight. I am going to remove the s-pipe bushing, rotate into the correct orientation, and see if I can reuse the OEM bushing since it is more pliable than the urethane. How hard do you think it would be to bend the metal hanger so I can keep the stiffer urethane bushing?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #180
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
The hangers on our exhaust are really beefy, it'd be really hard to bend them.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #181
FearBoy

Hey, Chris. Sent you an email update. Still not getting the expected clearance from rotating the s-pipe.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #182
FearBoy

Well, it looks like I got my clearance squared away. Thanks, Chris. I'm very happy with the catback system. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to FearBoy For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Mladen (10-04-2013)

Tags
exhaust, headerback, perrin