follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #197
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
The kart boy is cheaper but JDM yo haha. Of course I'd get the TRD because yeah. Just wanted to know if it was justifiable. Oh but I might lose my racesng reverse lockout...

I feel. I haven't installed it yet, so I still can't say if it's worth it. USD to JPY is strong right now tho, so it's a better time to import stuff ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #198
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
The kart boy is cheaper but JDM yo haha. Of course I'd get the TRD because yeah. Just wanted to know if it was justifiable. Oh but I might lose my racesng reverse lockout...
So, I installed the STi short shifter yesterday. The whole thing wasn't too difficult except for the rubber shift boot... total bitch to replace/remove. My impression overall: eh... The difference in feel is negligible. Shifts are slightly shorter (4mm to be exact) and the shifter feels more notchy now. I like the new feel, but I could have lived without it. Goes to show how good stock really is.

If you're interested in a true SS get the IRP.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuczynskika For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #199
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
So, I installed the STi short shifter yesterday. The whole thing wasn't too difficult except for the rubber shift boot... total bitch to replace/remove. My impression overall: eh... The difference in feel is negligible. Shifts are slightly shorter (4mm to be exact) and the shifter feels more notchy now. I like the new feel, but I could have lived without it. Goes to show how good stock really is.

If you're interested in a true SS get the IRP.
Thanks for letting me know, man! I'm probably going to remove my TRD quickshifter soon, and just stick with stock and the perrin bushing. Is there less play in the shifter? I always hear about this slop, but I've had my quickshifter on my car since just about day 1.

Also I'm having transmission issues AGAIN! Ugh. So once that's fixed, i'll remove the quickshifter so it doesn't throw the mechanics off. Though, depending upon how much it costs, I may say screw it and use it as an excuse to trade in for a BRZ. I'm just waiting on Matt@Cosworth to get back to me about some questions regarding the supercharger compatibility.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #200
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know, man! I'm probably going to remove my TRD quickshifter soon, and just stick with stock and the perrin bushing. Is there less play in the shifter? I always hear about this slop, but I've had my quickshifter on my car since just about day 1.

Also I'm having transmission issues AGAIN! Ugh. So once that's fixed, i'll remove the quickshifter so it doesn't throw the mechanics off. Though, depending upon how much it costs, I may say screw it and use it as an excuse to trade in for a BRZ. I'm just waiting on Matt@Cosworth to get back to me about some questions regarding the supercharger compatibility.
No prob! I wouldn't say that there is less play. It feels exactly like stock just with slightly shorter throws and more notchyness. I never felt like play in the OEM shifter was a problem. Also, it's OEM so its not supposed to have the problems i.e. rattle/nvh probs like the kartboy which is why I chose it. We will see overtime, but STi stuff never disappoints in terms of quality/fitment.

Damn, well hey maybe its time to trade up to the BRZ and do it right? haha hope you can get it all worked out man.
weederr33 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #201
Carlos_M

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just patiently reading through this thread... love it.
Carlos_M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos_M For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (01-31-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #202
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_M View Post
Just patiently reading through this thread... love it.
Thanks man!
Carlos_M (02-09-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #203
kuczynskika

Garage
Update: New wheel and tire set up coming soon! Going to be running 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 Forged Prodrives. That being said, anyone interested in some WRX STi wheels?

weederr33 (04-02-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #204
kuczynskika

Garage
Back from powder coat and now with some meaty 265s for the rear!

Raven86Project (08-23-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #205
blues15dp

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why is it that every time I think of a build I want someone's beat me to it!!

What was the approximate cost of the TS conversion? I'm going to go Harrop for power but I haven't decided on how I'll go about paying to put that power down...
I definitely want the OEM+ benefit of STI parts the question is do I convert my car? Or bring it to a dealer in 2018 and trade it in

blues15dp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blues15dp For This Useful Post:
kuczynskika (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #206
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues15dp View Post
Why is it that every time I think of a build I want someone's beat me to it!!

What was the approximate cost of the TS conversion? I'm going to go Harrop for power but I haven't decided on how I'll go about paying to put that power down...
I definitely want the OEM+ benefit of STI parts the question is do I convert my car? Or bring it to a dealer in 2018 and trade it in

Hey, there,

Thanks for the compliments!

In terms of cost... well... the Harrop bit is probably the easiest to understand. I got a small discount on my kit because it was one of the first imported and installed by Neal at The Racers Line. That was 6k all said and done.

In terms of STi parts... I have imported most everything from Japan via japan parts.com. This is not exactly cheap. I have also had the fortune to pick up used STi parts that others had already imported. The 2018 tS would be a good place to start, but it will not come with all of the goodies that you may want. You will save money in the long run by picking up a complete car and adding parts. Guys like me have gone the long way cuz there was no short way and it got expensive.
blues15dp (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #207
kuczynskika

Garage
@DAEMANO

Sorry, accidentally deleted.

These are the GC-012L!
blues15dp (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #208
blues15dp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
Hey, there,

Thanks for the compliments!

In terms of cost... well... the Harrop bit is probably the easiest to understand. I got a small discount on my kit because it was one of the first imported and installed by Neal at The Racers Line. That was 6k all said and done.

In terms of STi parts... I have imported most everything from Japan via japan parts.com. This is not exactly cheap. I have also had the fortune to pick up used STi parts that others had already imported. The 2018 tS would be a good place to start, but it will not come with all of the goodies that you may want. You will save money in the long run by picking up a complete car and adding parts. Guys like me have gone the long way cuz there was no short way and it got expensive.

Idk, my car, by the time the TS arrives and it's payed off, will be worth just around 12 grand. Assuming the TS is 32k out the door that's 20k. Does the suspension, brakes, rear wing, ground affects and associated interior and suspension bits come out to more than 10k? If so it's worth it for the new paint job and mile renewal I'd just use the money as a down payment and have next to nothing on the monthly for a few years...

Either way I'm going Harrop VERY soon.
Saving for it now, I have 1/5 puppies if you know what I mean
Do you think I should contact them for discount? I haven't seen any on the east coast and I am a professional Formula driver and have some online presence. I'll be installing the kit myself maybe they'd like an install vid/ review. Hehehe maybe I could get them to send my car and a stock brz to a track to see how many laps it takes before the stocker is lapped 😂

Either way very awesome car. Super jealous that you jumped on it before I did. Good thing my car is black

Old 06-27-2017, 12:53 AM   #209
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues15dp View Post
Idk, my car, by the time the TS arrives and it's payed off, will be worth just around 12 grand. Assuming the TS is 32k out the door that's 20k. Does the suspension, brakes, rear wing, ground affects and associated interior and suspension bits come out to more than 10k? If so it's worth it for the new paint job and mile renewal I'd just use the money as a down payment and have next to nothing on the monthly for a few years...

Either way I'm going Harrop VERY soon.
Saving for it now, I have 1/5 puppies if you know what I mean
Do you think I should contact them for discount? I haven't seen any on the east coast and I am a professional Formula driver and have some online presence. I'll be installing the kit myself maybe they'd like an install vid/ review. Hehehe maybe I could get them to send my car and a stock brz to a track to see how many laps it takes before the stocker is lapped 😂

Either way very awesome car. Super jealous that you jumped on it before I did. Good thing my car is black

Yeah I mean you can get close to the 10k mark in parts. My thing is that some of them I'm not even interested in, so that changes things in some cases. It all depends on what you want to do. If you're gong-hoe about Harrop check out the owners thread I created for everyone. Its got a lot of good stuff over there.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #210
blues15dp

I see what your saying. I wish I could have the 2018 tS with out the new taller gears, but that can always be changed so it won't make or brake the difference between doing a conversion vs buying a tS