follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
Gregore

Drives: Silver Toyota 86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Greetings and Thanks!

Hello everyone!

A few months ago I had problems with my Fiat Panda 100hp and I realised that the secondhand 86's had dropped enough in price to match my wealth.

I joined this forum and started searching. In Dec last year I found her, a beautiful silver 2014 High spec 86. Her name is Emily. It was one of the greatest days of my life when I drove her home on a really, very unnecessarily long route.

After a few months of ownership and quite a few 4am drives, I love this car more and more... I am moving up to JHB in next few weeks and I really wanna learn to drive the car on a track. As I have never been on a track before it seems prudent to start on a skidpan to learn how the car behaves before venturing out on track.

Are the skidpans normally available on track days at Red Star? or Zwartkops on Supertrax? I wanna drive at Red Star first but I am still waiting to hear from them about dates.

The next Supertrax is on the 19th and I would like to drive on the skidpan if possible and also to meet any of you who may be there?

Thank you all I love my 86 and I love you all for helping me understand her better.

I look forward to meeting you guys on the race tracks up in Gauteng

Here is my Emily

Name:  Emily_01.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  195.9 KB
Gregore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregore For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (03-07-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
GeeTee86
86 Nut

Drives: 86 Satin 6MT High
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Congrats and very welcome. Skidpan is available on Super trax days at Z yes. Rsr open track days are usually week days and very few weekends! Enjoy your hatchi!

If you want to be added to the 86 chat group, dl the telegram messenger app and send me a pm with your cell
GeeTee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #3
Gregore

Hey GeeTee86! That is great news! It will help me with my investigation into my tyres.

You see, Long ago, in North America, just after its discovery by the "West" near the modern city of Ardmore. The Cherokee people stole some pigs from Choctaw people in a bloody battle, which spilled over onto an ancient burial ground. Many pigs died that day.

This may seem off topic and strange but bear with me. Today, in Ardmore near Oklahoma City, Michelin has a plant which I suspect manufactured my tyres. I think the pigs have come back. They are haunting my Michelin Primacy HPs. I mean my tyres squeal like undead pigs trying to escape their torture.

I need to know, what do these pigs want? Are they dangerous? Can we free them?

So I will definitely be at Supertrax on the 19th and I hope to see some other Hachi's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gregore For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (03-03-2017), FT_86_SM_GP (03-07-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Haha, those pigs show their happiness when squealing, so keep them happy That breed of pig, by the way, can take a huge beating and are great for squealing but their bacon has a lot of fat which makes them greasy.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #5
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
My 2c worth...

Skidpan at Supertrax is fine, but avoid the main track at Zwartkops until you've got some solid track experience.
The Z can be unforgiving if you don't know what you're doing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oOCzomIX-M"]RMS Supercharged GT86 CRASH - Zwartkops - YouTube[/ame]

Rather learn at Red Star which is open for cars on most Wednesdays and Fridays, and there's normally very little traffic.
Red Star is by far the safest and most forgiving track in the country.
Send an email to info@redstarraceway.co.za and ask them to put you on their SMS list for cars, then you'll get a weekly notification of when the track is available.

After you've done (say) 2 or 3 track days, try to get a ride on track with an experienced 86 driver to get a perspective of what's possible and how to make it happen.
Then enjoy building your skills and learning advanced techniques.

Getting around a racetrack quickly takes precision and a lot of practice, and the quickest way to make your car faster is to upgrade the organic part behind the steering wheel through more seat time.

Before venturing on track, the only thing that you MUST do is change brake fluid.
Motul RBF660 is good and it's cheap.

Squealing tyres are a great teacher.
Keep your window open and listen to them - they'll tell you exactly what your car is doing.

ENJOY!!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #6
GeeTee86
86 Nut

Drives: 86 Satin 6MT High
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Listen to uncle Andy he knows what he is talking about
GeeTee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeeTee86 For This Useful Post:
Fish Eagle (03-03-2017), JouMaSeHoes (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #7
Gregore

Thanks Fish Eagle, your 2c is very appreciated. I read your advice about the Z somewhere around here and I certainly don't intend on risking me or my beautiful 86 by rushing things. Luckily I am old enough to have very little ego when it comes to driving

I was also considering doing the Toyota Advanced course and doing some learning in their cars. Anyone done their course? What was it like?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregore View Post
Hey GeeTee86! That is great news! It will help me with my investigation into my tyres.

You see, Long ago, in North America, just after its discovery by the "West" near the modern city of Ardmore. The Cherokee people stole some pigs from Choctaw people in a bloody battle, which spilled over onto an ancient burial ground. Many pigs died that day.

This may seem off topic and strange but bear with me. Today, in Ardmore near Oklahoma City, Michelin has a plant which I suspect manufactured my tyres. I think the pigs have come back. They are haunting my Michelin Primacy HPs. I mean my tyres squeal like undead pigs trying to escape their torture.

I need to know, what do these pigs want? Are they dangerous? Can we free them?

So I will definitely be at Supertrax on the 19th and I hope to see some other Hachi's
This is brilliant!

Welcome! All the best!
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
My 2c worth...

Skidpan at Supertrax is fine, but avoid the main track at Zwartkops until you've got some solid track experience.
The Z can be unforgiving if you don't know what you're doing.

Rather learn at Red Star which is open for cars on most Wednesdays and Fridays, and there's normally very little traffic.
Red Star is by far the safest and most forgiving track in the country.
Send an email to info@redstarraceway.co.za and ask them to put you on their SMS list for cars, then you'll get a weekly notification of when the track is available.

After you've done (say) 2 or 3 track days, try to get a ride on track with an experienced 86 driver to get a perspective of what's possible and how to make it happen.
Then enjoy building your skills and learning advanced techniques.

Getting around a racetrack quickly takes precision and a lot of practice, and the quickest way to make your car faster is to upgrade the organic part behind the steering wheel through more seat time.

Before venturing on track, the only thing that you MUST do is change brake fluid.
Motul RBF660 is good and it's cheap.

Squealing tyres are a great teacher.
Keep your window open and listen to them - they'll tell you exactly what your car is doing.

ENJOY!!

I think he just offered you a ride ;-)
Fish Eagle (03-10-2017)