follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #1
brzfl

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible for our FA20s to have the Torque Curve of the FA20DITs?

I'm looking into supercharger and turbocharger options and compared the dynos to the dynos of the 15 WRX which makes peak torque at 3.1k RPM. Is there any way for our FA20s to make as much torque down low? What kit would give me the best chance?

I'm currently comparing the Edelbrock SC to the AVO turbo kit, but I'm hoping there's some way to get a similar torque curve.

Here's the dyno I was looking at:

brzfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM   #2
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you want that many torques down low, build the engine and pick a big enough turbo.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
If you want that many torques down low, build the engine and pick a big enough turbo.
On the contrary, I think you'd need a really small (twin scroll) turbo that spools pretty much instantly like the FA20DIT's turbo does.

My '16 WRX is rather fun to drive, but I'd take my turbocharged BRZ over my WRX any day, despite the BRZ not having all that low down torque. The WRX (in stock form) kind of falls on its face after 4k RPM because the OEM intercooler is pretty terrible.

The twin-scroll Full Race turbo kit does spool rather quickly and gets pretty close. You even might be able to switch to a smaller turbo that would be even more responsive and move the torque curve even further down the X-axis. Velox Motorsports is a good team to have that discussion with: https://www.velox-motorsports.com/pr...race-turbo-kit
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred E For This Useful Post:
brzfl (02-18-2017), olsonpg (02-17-2017), Summerwolf (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzfl View Post
I'm looking into supercharger and turbocharger options and compared the dynos to the dynos of the 15 WRX which makes peak torque at 3.1k RPM. Is there any way for our FA20s to make as much torque down low? What kit would give me the best chance?

I'm currently comparing the Edelbrock SC to the AVO turbo kit, but I'm hoping there's some way to get a similar torque curve.

Here's the dyno I was looking at:

Just curious, but why would you want a torque curve that starts high and falls off when the engine itself is reaching its natural powerband?

To get that kind of powerband I believe the works turbo kit is the closest, based on the few dyno sheets out there. Although the kit was widely criticized for the drop off in power in higher RPMs.

PTuning, Edelbrock, Vortech....right off the top of my head, there are others I'm sure....they all put torque down low and continue the natural powerband of the engine without a huge amount of drop off at peak.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Fred E is spot on. Twin scroll spools much faster.

Seeing the BRZ, FRS or 86 isn't 4WD we have a huge traction issue, even down low. Im also ok not getting instant boost. As long as I hear the turbo spooling at 3k im happy.

I personally want a 2018 WRX (FA20). I would slap flex fuel kit on it. But like our cars the rods dont look much better. :<
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Would a Garrett GT2860RS be consider small enough that it would have good torque early? Maybe not 3k, but say full boost at 4k or so?
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
GsxrMe

They do sell Twin Scroll housings but that also requires a Twin Scroll header.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
Old 02-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
JDL has a twin scroll turbo kit, although I don't know how our cars would handle that much TQ down low.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
It acheives that torque curve with a less aggressive cam profile and it has smaller valves and ports to keep air velocity up on the low end. The turbo is also TINY and a twin scroll unit. For all these reasons it is a great car to drive around town, but falls flat on its face after 6200 RPM. This kind of power curve is also very hard on the motors since there's tons of torque which stresses the rods substantially, but overall the car feels pretty slow because of the low HP number. But it is effortless to drive with no turbo lag after 2500 RPM. I'd rather have a BRZ motor with an AVO or Edelbrock kit any day. They make great power where you want it, and if you want the power you should be above 4000 RPM anyway to go easier on the rods.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
brzfl (02-18-2017), Carlos_M (02-17-2017), Fred E (02-17-2017), Summerwolf (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
It acheives that torque curve with a less aggressive cam profile and it has smaller valves and ports to keep air velocity up on the low end. The turbo is also TINY and a twin scroll unit. For all these reasons it is a great car to drive around town, but falls flat on its face after 6200 RPM. This kind of power curve is also very hard on the motors since there's tons of torque which stresses the rods substantially, but overall the car feels pretty slow because of the low HP number. But it is effortless to drive with no turbo lag after 2500 RPM. I'd rather have a BRZ motor with an AVO or Edelbrock kit any day. They make great power where you want it, and if you want the power you should be above 4000 RPM anyway to go easier on the rods.
I think 6200 RPM is pretty generous actually!
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:38 AM   #11
brzfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Just curious, but why would you want a torque curve that starts high and falls off when the engine itself is reaching its natural powerband?

To get that kind of powerband I believe the works turbo kit is the closest, based on the few dyno sheets out there. Although the kit was widely criticized for the drop off in power in higher RPMs.

PTuning, Edelbrock, Vortech....right off the top of my head, there are others I'm sure....they all put torque down low and continue the natural powerband of the engine without a huge amount of drop off at peak.
The torque curve of the Works looks really interesting to me, although it does fall off near the higher RPMs, I'll look into that for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong, if I go with a bigger twin-scroll turbo as I'm beginning to sense I'm going in the wrong direction, it would give me a good balance between low end torque and good power on the upper limit with headroom to grow with a built motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
On the contrary, I think you'd need a really small (twin scroll) turbo that spools pretty much instantly like the FA20DIT's turbo does.

My '16 WRX is rather fun to drive, but I'd take my turbocharged BRZ over my WRX any day, despite the BRZ not having all that low down torque. The WRX (in stock form) kind of falls on its face after 4k RPM because the OEM intercooler is pretty terrible.

The twin-scroll Full Race turbo kit does spool rather quickly and gets pretty close. You even might be able to switch to a smaller turbo that would be even more responsive and move the torque curve even further down the X-axis. Velox Motorsports is a good team to have that discussion with: https://www.velox-motorsports.com/pr...race-turbo-kit
Loving the idea of this kit, although it is a bit more expensive that I'd hope to go, definitely an option
Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
GsxrMe

Nothings cheap about going Turbo, after the kits install the supporting mods will add up. If you dont have 10k ready, i wouldnt.
The Following User Says Thank You to GsxrMe For This Useful Post:
why? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #13
-Willis-86touge

Drives: Stock
What about sprinted 335 kit close as I can think of.
-Willis-86touge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #14
brzfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Willis-86touge View Post
What about sprinted 335 kit close as I can think of.
Was definitely thinking of this kit, I just wanted to boost now and build later which is why I wasn't leaning to heavily towards this kit, but it might be more cost effective to just do it all at once.