follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast AR, AL, GA, FL, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #981
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Sounds like we need a good cruise to show some good roads, and shut the trolls up :p
Live in Monroe, work in Matthews. And nope, I haven't been to the DMV in ages.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #982
Lawn_Mower

Drives: GTI, BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This talk about highway driving makes me want to finish my GTI lol

I'm one of those typically just putting along on the highway, this car is so slow on the highway there's no point, might as well get the good fuel milage out of it.
Lawn_Mower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #983
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydelight View Post
@ML where do you live? We don't have any good roads in Charlotte.

I'm planning a day trip up to the Back of the Dragon if anyone's interested. @Gunman says it's a nice stretch of road. I love the tail of the dragon but the 8 hour drive round trip kills it.

Other than that I'm always down for gopro Motorplex or victory lane karting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Gastonia. There are 3 small mountains in Gaston county; Spencer, Cramer, and Crowders being the best. Spencer mtn and cramer mtn both have decent twisty roads around them, but traffic can be annoying. Crowders is a state park, and there are plenty of good roads there with minimal traffic. Nothing like TotD, but they are still fun.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #984
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydelight View Post
@ML where do you live? We don't have any good roads in Charlotte.

I'm planning a day trip up to the Back of the Dragon if anyone's interested. @Gunman says it's a nice stretch of road. I love the tail of the dragon but the 8 hour drive round trip kills it.

Other than that I'm always down for gopro Motorplex or victory lane karting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep me posted on your day trip to the Back of the Dragon. Jackie and I are looking to head up in Sept., and do the "Still Night" at the Virginia Sweetwater Distillery, in Marion, VA. aka "Moonshine 101", lol. Marion is at the southend of the Back, so I'm sure at least one trip up to Tazewell will be made.

http://backofthedragon.com/
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #985
Moletheus

Drives: Raven 2014 FR-S
Garage
Sorry im being a troll about this but auto cross seems like alot of money to drive fast in a parking lot. I do that anyways as long as it's empty. Yes I understand that auto cross is legal and controlled. I have gotten two tickets in the past for driving fast in a parking lot and both were cheaper than a day at auto cross. I know that sounds bad and most people don't want the risk but I just can't justify it. I can understand paying for the track and definitely doing back of the Dragon but not really autocross. I remember the good old days when we would take our riced out civics and do this all day. Please forgive my ignorance, I have been to a few just never done it myself. Maybe I'm missing something..
Moletheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #986
jprice130
AutoX Nut

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moletheus View Post
Sorry im being a troll about this but auto cross seems like alot of money to drive fast in a parking lot. I do that anyways as long as it's empty. Yes I understand that auto cross is legal and controlled. I have gotten two tickets in the past for driving fast in a parking lot and both were cheaper than a day at auto cross. I know that sounds bad and most people don't want the risk but I just can't justify it. I can understand paying for the track and definitely doing back of the Dragon but not really autocross. I remember the good old days when we would take our riced out civics and do this all day. Please forgive my ignorance, I have been to a few just never done it myself. Maybe I'm missing something..
No worries man, not everyone has the same tastes or interests so it's cool. I was just putting a reminder out there for anyone in the Charlotte area that might be interested.

For what it's worth, I view AutoX as a social event first and a competition second. The 30-40 dollars you pay just helps the club hosting the event pay for lot rental, insurance, and maintenance of the timing equipment. I personally enjoy having my runs timed with an electronic timing system so I can see exactly how my driving improves relative to my friends. It's hard to do that on the highway or open parking lots without getting in trouble.

Again, everyone is different so no big deal either way; just putting options out there for anyone that may be interested.
jprice130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #987
brielly5

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...80650932044650

NC/SC Car Meets holding a meet at VictoryLane Fri 8/1 and 8/15 with some pretty good looking food/drink specials and 2/$30 races (reg $24ea w/ membership fee waived). I'm in, who else so I can get a head count?

Last edited by brielly5; 07-23-2014 at 06:54 PM.
brielly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #988
chkltcow

Drives: 2013 FRS White w/ cone marks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I thought I had driven fast on the streets or in parking lots until I tried AutoX. Then I realized I had never even approached 6/10ths on the road. Like Joe said... it's a social gathering first and foremost with some racing mixed in. THAT is the reason I'm willing to travel 2500 miles round trip to Lincoln, NE this fall for SOLO Nationals.

Come out this Sunday, see what it's about, and I'd be glad to take you for a ridealong. I'm sure Joe probably would too.

[ame]http://youtu.be/wgy9BWc8PmY[/ame]
chkltcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #989
Moletheus

Drives: Raven 2014 FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkltcow View Post
I thought I had driven fast on the streets or in parking lots until I tried AutoX. Then I realized I had never even approached 6/10ths on the road. Like Joe said... it's a social gathering first and foremost with some racing mixed in. THAT is the reason I'm willing to travel 2500 miles round trip to Lincoln, NE this fall for SOLO Nationals.

Come out this Sunday, see what it's about, and I'd be glad to take you for a ridealong. I'm sure Joe probably would too.

I never really thought about it like that. The social aspect. Thanks for the insight. And I'm sitting here complaining about not having anyone to play with.. I may actually do that this Sunday. Is it really that cheap for a run? Or is that just to attend?
Moletheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #990
Lawn_Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkltcow View Post

Do you have to sign up beforehand or can you just show up and drive?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #991
chkltcow

Drives: 2013 FRS White w/ cone marks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I never really thought about it like that. The social aspect. Thanks for the insight. And I'm sitting here complaining about not having anyone to play with.. I may actually do that this Sunday. Is it really that cheap for a run? Or is that just to attend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn_Mower View Post
Do you have to sign up beforehand or can you just show up and drive?
I'll just post the quick info here...

Schedule
Registration 7:15 AM - 9:15 AM - $5 On-Site Registration Fee / Late Registration 9:15 AM - 9:30 AM - $20.00 Late Fee
Drivers Meeting 9:30 AM
First Car Out 10:00 AM

Cost
$40 Non Members - Includes Weekend Membership
$30 SCCA Members - Membership Cards required for discount
$5.00 extra for on-site registration

We prefer if you pre-register, but you don't have to. Just make sure you show up and register by 9am if you do choose to do it! There's no fee if you just want to come by, hang out, and ask for ridealongs with people.... just make sure you sign the waiver at the gate.

Honestly, it took me 10 years to decide to try AutoX. When I first got my WRX in 2001, I met and hung out with people that did it. I attended a few events, never rode along or anything, and said "This is silly... driving around in parking lots." Finally in 2011 a friend convinced me to go do a novice school and I've done this crap almost every weekend since. Driving is fun... really fun... but it's the people that make the sport what it is. I've met a few douchecanoes, but for the most part everyone is awesome. I drove 7 hours to Valdosta, GA knowing I didn't stand a chance in class, but because I wanted to hang out with friends I haven't seen in years. I went to Atlanta with an event format I don't like because, again, hanging out with friends, drinking some beers after the driving is done, and maybe visiting a few of Atlanta's finer establishments for the over-21 crowd I'll be going to Nationals because it's described as "A week-long party where you drive your car 6 times." I had avoided AutoX because back when I was just spectating events with my friends, I saw too many people that took things WAY too seriously. I know I take it more seriously than some, but I've tried to avoid all the "SRS BZNS" crap this year and just have fun hanging out with friends and driving sideways with a screaming passenger in the car

Also I should point out, our normal AutoX site is at ZMax, which is HUGE. This is the one event we'll run at Metrolina this year. It's a small lot... still fun to drive... but not really indicative of what is standard for us
chkltcow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chkltcow For This Useful Post:
Gunman (07-24-2014), Lawn_Mower (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #992
Lawn_Mower

Ah ok, was considering going, but I don't think I'm going to be able to make it out. I'll be at CMP on Saturday and the car would probably like a rest afterwards.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #993
brielly5

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielly5 View Post
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...80650932044650

NC/SC Car Meets holding a meet at VictoryLane Fri 8/1 and 8/15 with some pretty good looking food/drink specials and 2/$30 races (reg $24ea w/ membership fee waived). I'm in, who else so I can get a head count?
Bump.

@ML @wrxgoose @Gunman @z3ro @sirwiggles @ANyone else???
brielly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #994
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
depends on when i'm working and if i've got money. otherwise, i should be there.