follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
Captain Stall
OK, here we g...oh, wait

Drives: '13 Hot Lava 6M
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
I just totaled my brz a few weeks ago.
Very sorry to hear that. Hope you weren't hurt.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #16
Jon H

Drives: 2013 GT-R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ask to file a diminished value claim. I was royally fucking screwed when my 09 GT-R was rear ended ($20k+ repair). Still had paper plates! Adjuster claimed that CA doesn't recognize DV claims. Then proceeded to tell me that a properly repaired car will not lose value (BS). Another person said that CA didn't recognize DV claims and so I pretty much just gave up on it.

The car was never right and I wish I didn't trade it in but I wanted to be done with it. $10k off what it normally would've been worth.

Anyway, ask to file a DV claim. If they give you any shit, consult a lawyer.

Good luck.
ftc~brz (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stall View Post
Very sorry to hear that. Hope you weren't hurt.
I walked away with out a scratch. What's left of my car looks like someone died in it. Things happen and all you can do is learn from experience. And most people around here will give you sound advice usually based off of their own experiences.
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #18
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
"Easy" but most likely too expensive.

For the OP and others:
Any benefit, if any, received by hiring a lawyer wil be less than the cost of hiring a lawyer. Accidents happen. This is why one has, and is required to have, insurance. Think about it: One is REQUIRED to have insurance because accidents HAPPEN and will continue to happen.. GETOVERIT and always be super vigilant in parking lots. If you do so you will greatly minimize any collisions caused by you or others. I share an earlier opinion (CAPTAIN STALL) expressed: Parking lots are the worst environment for accidents - BE A DEFENSIVE DRIVER, SHIT HAPPENS!.
You probably never hired a lawyer for car accidents, have you?

They are normally capable of ripping off more $. The lawyer fee is free since they take the cut from the amount.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #19
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Something similar to this happened to me

Backed into as I was leaving
Car is three weeks old. I backed out and was pulling forward and around when a guy that was sitting in his car decided to back up without checking to his left

Geico originally wanted to fix it for 1100$ telling me a pent puller and all will be fine.. At the time I had state farm and sat down with my agent, they called who ever, had a State Farm adjust or come out, and we went to a really really awesome body shop that deals in top notch work.. Ended with a quote and later a check for 4900$ but they wouldn't do anything with a reduced value or anything based on how low the damage was and they claimed a minor repair.. Even though to properly fix it requires the side of the car to be cut off and re spot welded back in...

But alas I kept the check and still haven't fixed it.. Doesn't bother me that much
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #20
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would and have hired attorneys but only if I knew if it was worth it. In this case it may not have been worth the effort. Also, it may sometimes depend upon how much of MY time is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + MS3 View Post
You probably never hired a lawyer for car accidents, have you?

They are normally capable of ripping off more $. The lawyer fee is free since they take the cut from the amount.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I checked it out. Be sure to read the mileage provision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I signed up for mysubaru site to keep track of my maintenance and they have a guaranteed trade in value. Check it out.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #22
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing. I think you got a heck of deal. Fixing this damage normally would take about $2000. So you actually probably came out ahead. Would you like to share some details on how to get $4500 in your situation? Suppose I got such a quote, how am I going to convince the AllState adjustor for the additional compensation? To be honest, if I were the adjustor, I won't buy it. So really curious what kind of leverage you used on this.

BTW, I live in the SF Bay Area. If anybody knows about a high end repair shop who would generate such a $4500 quote, please let me know. It would be great help. Regards.

Finally, to the defensive driving orthodox, there is no way to be defensive in this case, or in many such cases in parking lot. 2/3 of the my car has already passed that minivan when the driver suddenly decided to back out. What can I do about it? To be honest, it is likely that BRZ is such a low car that it stayed outside of her normal inspection area. So she might be pissed off too. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
Something similar to this happened to me

Car is three weeks old. I backed out and was pulling forward and around when a guy that was sitting in his car decided to back up without checking to his left

Geico originally wanted to fix it for 1100$ telling me a pent puller and all will be fine.. At the time I had state farm and sat down with my agent, they called who ever, had a State Farm adjust or come out, and we went to a really really awesome body shop that deals in top notch work.. Ended with a quote and later a check for 4900$ but they wouldn't do anything with a reduced value or anything based on how low the damage was and they claimed a minor repair.. Even though to properly fix it requires the side of the car to be cut off and re spot welded back in...

But alas I kept the check and still haven't fixed it.. Doesn't bother me that much
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #23
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
After thinking more about it, I became more confused. Suppose you got a quote of $4500 from an expensive body shop, the insurance company could simply tell you to go to fix the car there. So in the end you do not end up with the check yourself.

If that is the case, I would then prefer to repair the car the cheap way, because that is also the minimum offensive way. To do it the expensive way, you have to saw off the who quarter panel from the car and redo everything. I just cannot let my car go through that.

So I am very curious how come you can end up with a check of $4500 on your hand (not in that expensive body shop's hand.), because the insurance company can easily screw you up as they know if you do not get the money yourself, you won't go to that expensive shop. So they really do not have to pay your that $4500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
Something similar to this happened to
much
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #24
Gixxersixxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
After thinking more about it, I became more confused. Suppose you got a quote of $4500 from an expensive body shop, the insurance company could simply tell you to go to fix the car there. So in the end you do not end up with the check yourself.

If that is the case, I would then prefer to repair the car the cheap way, because that is also the minimum offensive way. To do it the expensive way, you have to saw off the who quarter panel from the car and redo everything. I just cannot let my car go through that.

So I am very curious how come you can end up with a check of $4500 on your hand (not in that expensive body shop's hand.), because the insurance company can easily screw you up as they know if you do not get the money yourself, you won't go to that expensive shop. So they really do not have to pay your that $4500.

I'll get the quote pulled out from my files so you can see the break down, and most of it was labor, hours pulling the whole side off, cutting the spot welds and then welding it back up.. The adjustor was in no way down for it at first until he went to the shop and they talked.. I was waiting to hear from the shop about making an appointment and a check came in the mail from State Farm.. My insurance.. Gieco stated it was 50/50, after I called my insurance they handled everything, then went after gieco I assume.. Check came in the mail wrote out to just me, that's why I kept it.. At the time it was handled I was just laid off and kept it.. But to cut away the whole side of the car, remove all the glass, trunk, door, front fender, it was expensive.. They also had a rim replacement in it as it got marred up also
Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #25
Gixxersixxerman

And if/when I get it fixed, it will be done the dent puller smooth out way best it can be.. No one will be cutting anything if they don't have to.. The body shop was in SoCal, I can give you the number if you like..
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #26
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
www.autoloss.com
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #27
993Fan

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did not expect it is so low. If it is only $170, I won't bother to ask the adjustor, who is a nice lady to work with. But 10% of repair cost sounds really low. If I go to to sell my car now, buyers would only take $170 off the normal price?
Sorry, thinking back on it, I think the insurance company's first offer was more like 50% of the repair cost when I had a diminished value claim a few years ago.

I was satisfied with the compensation since it was for a more expensive repair and I didn't have time to do the requisite research to justify a higher value.

Had it been a Ferrari, I would have made time.
993Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #28
balla_08

Drives: Satin Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Could I get diminished value for comprehension damages from a deer..I have usaa

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
balla_08 is offline   Reply With Quote