follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Selling their cars
Unhappy with ft86 21 17.65%
Better car available now or near future 20 16.81%
Too many problems with ft68 30 25.21%
Couldn't afford it 48 40.34%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #85
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
Are you saying the average American is dumb as shit and makes poor purchasing decisions?
They say a Mustang is a very good car...

so I say yes...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luis_GT For This Useful Post:
Sbeezy (08-08-2013), Tim_Asphalt_FRS (08-08-2013), TRD-X (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #86
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I had been following the development of the FRS/BRZ for sometime and won the first 86 contest (#23). I loved the car, did a few cosmetic mods, had the fuel pump replaced due to chirping (not a big deal), and got lots of looks and compliments. But then suddenly got bored with it and was tired of the ingress/egress struggle (bad left knee which made exiting difficult). I also started having concerns about long term reliability and a fuel injection system (port and DI) that was begging to malfunction. I sold it back to the dealer 3 months ago where it still sits today unsold. I miss it though.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS

Last edited by russv; 08-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #87
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
@russv that's cool. You enjoyed it for a time and then decided to move on. Fortunately, even with a troublesome knee, there are lots of great sports cars with slightly higher seats (and electrohydraulic sequential gearboxes!) that you can enjoy. Just out of curiosity, why do you think the cars remains unsold?
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #88
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
They say a Mustang is a very good car...

so I say yes...
LMAO..!!

:happy0180:
Luis_GT (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #89
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
Put johnny race car who's got the dopest tc in the subdivision behind the wheel of a twin on a route with 3 school zones 5 corners and a couple red lights and he'll have his mom in for the cosign by the afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Well sure this car is definitely faster than a TC. But even all the reviews were pretty honest about this car not being as fast as a 6 cylinder Mustang, Gencoupe, Focus ST, Mazda Speed3, etc. If people were expecting this car to be as fast off the line as most of the competitors, they did not do their homework and bought the wrong car. Again, I have no sympathy.
You completely missed the point of going through 3 school zones, 5 corners and a couple red lights for a test drive - kids running across the street to get a better look, handling balance and stares and thumbups from strangers... things the tc never get... he wouldn't care if it's still slower than a minivan lol
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #90
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autogyro View Post
I'd say you missed the biggest one - external factors and change of circumstances, e.g. new baby, lost job, moved elsewhere, disapproval from wife etc etc.
Add "just got tired of it, car not up to expectations"...and end thread...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #91
07jazzrs5gt86

Drives: Firestorm 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'd agree with most post that people buy the 86 because impulse and later didn't realize how heavy of a responsibility it it to finance a $25k+ car.

I met a few fellow 86 drivers complain about not enough power for the 86 which I do agree in certain aspect then I ask them to join me for a ride on the 88 highway going south from carson city nv to martell ca.
After that ride through that mnt pass they realize how much fun this car really is. How precise and easy control the 86 is.

For people who just want straight line performance and fly by people in city just get a v8 or evo/sti.

I've test drive the 2014 mustang gt 5.0 , 2013 370z , 2013 sti , 2013 evo and purposely 86 last. Where I tested all these car have a very nice 5 mile curvy back road.

The Mustang is just fat and too much power that you can't be fully utilize.
The 370z feels just like the Mustang only with a more proper suspension and better gearbox
The sti is great with power and handling but too much understeer for my taste.
The evo is just a blast and love everything about.
The 86 just feels like the evo without all of it great power.

This is just my personal quick summary review of these cars I test in the same day and same road.
In the end I bought the 86 just because it gave me much more satisfying feel and I got a great value out of it. I trade my 08 rs 5 that I got a great trade in and the 86 for invoice + 2.3 apr. All in all I just need to finance $18 k in 60months.
Got the car for 3months now with 7200+ miles. I haven't gotten any issues I've read about in these forums.

Only very few mods so far.
Toyota front + rear badge
Smoke side lens
Trd exhaust
3.556 fd

Haven't install the perrin drop in filter and unichip soon tho just got these 2days ago
07jazzrs5gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #92
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Jazz- how's the frs exhaust?
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #93
Migero86

Drives: 2015 Trailhawk
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
This might sound counterintuitive, but some of the people who understand this car the best are GTI owners from what I've seen. The GTI isn't a particularly sporty hot hatch (compared against the Focus ST, MS3, MCS, etc.), but its owners buy them for that reason. It's more refined, insulated, and quiet than other hot hatches (and the FR-S). And compared with the FR-S, it's got loads more low-end torque and is much roomier.

Most GTI owners see the FR-S and immediately know they would never be happy driving an impractical car that is so unrefined and requires that much effort to extract its performance. In some ways, I think they see this car for what it is. It's sad that they don't appreciate the driving experience it offers, but at least they know what they're looking for.

I came from a GTI, and this car is hands down the superior drivers vehicle. My GTI was fully modded for track duty and honestly, it still felt like the fat bloated pig that it was. There is no crispness or true connection to the vehicle, its all filtered and numb and benign.

I think that's what takes some people by surprise, how raw and connected you are to the car. I let someone drive it and they immediately were like, I can feel everything in this car, the shifter even vibrates... haha... made me laugh.

Migero86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Migero86 For This Useful Post:
polarstorm (08-18-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #94
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migero86 View Post

I came from a GTI, and this car is hands down the superior drivers vehicle. My GTI was fully modded for track duty and honestly, it still felt like the fat bloated pig that it was. There is no crispness or true connection to the vehicle, its all filtered and numb and benign.

I think that's what takes some people by surprise, how raw and connected you are to the car. I let someone drive it and they immediately were like, I can feel everything in this car, the shifter even vibrates... haha... made me laugh.

Haha yep GTI owners almost always have the same reaction when they drive the FR-S. Can feel stuff buzz/vibrate, feels cheap, no torque, backseats cramped, too small/low, why is this $25k, etc.

Just different strokes for different folks. I think as people start to get a bit older (myself included), they start appreciating all different types of cars. I still enjoy my GTI and use it for road trips, hauling items from ikea/home depot, bad weather, etc. It's a good all-around car, just built for a different purpose than the FR-S.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #95
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
No it can't, I had an 06 GT and it couldn't spin the tires in 3rd gear... and the V6 is open diff, so it can only do 1 wheel wonders.
An '06 GT apparantly has roughly similar numbers to a '13 V6, an extra hundred pounds and about 40 more ft-lbs of torque with the same bhp rating. Maybe I hyperbolized a bit on it spinning in third but it's undeniably got more scoot in a straight line for less price than the FRS, and it is faster around most tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
Do you refer to chirping the tires shifting into the gear, or spinning the tires in-gear due to abundance of power?

I've always wondered why less-powerful cars are criticized that they cannot spin the tires at will. It's hardly a measure of a car's performance. Sometimes it is an after-effect of being very powerful but more often it's simply the result of running crap tires.

Having been in RWD cars that can spin (grippy) tires from a 3rd or 4th gear roll... it is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes it's pretty damn terrifying.

Food for thought. :happy0180:
I never said it was better or anything, just a different kind of sports car, if I may quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Different strokes for different folks.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #96
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
@russv that's cool. You enjoyed it for a time and then decided to move on. Fortunately, even with a troublesome knee, there are lots of great sports cars with slightly higher seats (and electrohydraulic sequential gearboxes!) that you can enjoy. Just out of curiosity, why do you think the cars remains unsold?
Thanks. The dealer has it priced at $24,950, about $1,000 less than new. They also have a Series 10 that has been sitting for awhile. In my area (Sacramento) there are a lot of used FRS on the market.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #97
tacoss23

Drives: '08 328i, '13 Accord Sport, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
No it can't, I had an 06 GT and it couldn't spin the tires in 3rd gear... and the V6 is open diff, so it can only do 1 wheel wonders.
Lol, I'm right there with ya.

That's the problem of people buying this car. If you are remotely considering a Mustang V6, or even a used GT or SS instead of this car.....then please don't buy this car. You are confused.

It's like going to a supermarket and trying to make a decision between buying hot pockets or beer. You shouldn't have to be making a decision between the two, they accomplish 2 complete different things. Are you hungry or do you want to get drunk? You should've made that decision before you went to the supermarket.

So if you are in thinking you want the FRS, and you still lingering around the idea of getting a mustang or camaro instead,(even worst, strill trying to justify these cars in a comparison) then you probably haven't thought this through, meaning you don't know you want or what are your expectations of a sports car, because these cars are completely different experiences.
tacoss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tacoss23 For This Useful Post:
autogyro (08-08-2013), DarkSunrise (08-08-2013), Jawnathin (08-08-2013), Luis_GT (08-08-2013), Muaddib (08-17-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #98
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I never said it was better or anything, just a different kind of sports car
Yep. Great point. Apologies if I misunderstood your reference to tire spinning. I've heard similar remarks over the years and I think some use it as a way to describe a car that is more powerful while others use it in reference to the less powerful car. Que sera sera.

The modern Mustang, maybe even V6, sometimes appeals to me but ultimately it's less nimble feel, and 3500lbs curb weight, are what turn me away. Different strokes indeed.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote