follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by broberg View Post
Sorry to revive this thread, but, any news on the 2017 head unit?
Any new updates? Haven't fully tried it out but I did react to the small delays on the touch screen, and those bothered me a little..

Whats the model-number? thinking if someone has been able to hack it and change to a custom rom perhaps?
The Model number is CA645UL. FWIW: I am just going to replace the darn thing once I can decide what I want. It sucks to have to do that, but that is life.
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
Azzudien

Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Replacing mine at some point, already have the 1 piece dash piece with yellow stitching on order from Subaru of Canada so fit will be easier. Unfortunately that is not scheduled to arrive until August.
I get in my wife's Nissan that is 4 years old and HU is light years ahead of the Subaru.

This is the only bad thing I can say about the BRZ, but it is horrible bad.
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
AlphaMotorsports.ca

Drives: Rocket Bunny BRZ, Track FRS
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
We just picked up a 2017 BRZ yesterday and oh my the HU really needs to go - USB (iPod) and BT Audio was pretty glitchy as it would cut out and stop playing randomly
AlphaMotorsports.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #18
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMotorsports.ca View Post
We just picked up a 2017 BRZ yesterday and oh my the HU really needs to go - USB (iPod) and BT Audio was pretty glitchy as it would cut out and stop playing randomly
BT audio has volume consistency issues, even with speed-sensitive volume feature disabled. USB-connected iPod Nano works best for me, but that isn't saying much.
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #19
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMotorsports.ca View Post
Maybe your phone? BT audio and USB work flawlessly with my iPhone 6. BT even plays with the phone in my pocket, automatically picking up from the where it left off. USB wired sound is better, though, but such is the nature of BT audio.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #20
96z2

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
BT audio has volume consistency issues, even with speed-sensitive volume feature disabled. USB-connected iPod Nano works best for me, but that isn't saying much.
Are you able to search for songs or at least skip to the first letter of a song with the USB-connected iPod? I can't find that feature if it exists on the 2017 HU. Hard to get to a song that starts with a letter other than A when there are thousands in my iPod.
96z2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #21
crgholland

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Not sure if this is relevant anymore but I was finally able to upgrade the POS Clarion/Starlink HU in my 2016 BRZ. Went to Car Toys and they had the perfect solution. Kenwood Dmx905s with a special dash kit they found on Crutchfield. Had to add a separate Sirius/XM tuner. No problem there. Existing rear cam and SXM roof antenna integrated just fine. The best part was the Maestro idatalink. This interfaced with the OBD-II port and I get real time data that I didn't know was possible. I couldn't be happier. Wireless android auto (yes, wireless) works flawlessly with my Pixel 2 XL. It's like I have a brand new car. There seems to be a discrepancy between the dash avg. MPG and what the computer is sending across through the idatalink. I'll have to look into that... Happy camper!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
crgholland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crgholland For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-17-2018), ncted (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:40 AM   #22
TheRatsWon

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited,Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Very nice @crgholland. I want one.
Mind sharing the cost?
TheRatsWon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRatsWon For This Useful Post:
Tristor (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #23
crgholland

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
@TheRatsWon

About 1500 installed. Kenwood Dmx905s, S/XM tuner, dash kit, Maestro iDatalink. Replaced the 12v in the tray with a second rapid charge USB. The HU supports 2 rapid charge USB ports. Car Toys in Salem, OR was awesome.

crgholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #24
iamrich83

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86, 2000 Mazda Miata
Man, I am all about this idatalink and getting the psi/temp of the tires. Thanks for posting, I'll probably go with a different head unit that has a volume knob, but this is great.
iamrich83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #25
RWDFan

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 61 TR3A, 70 Porsche 914
Garage
How to keep the BU camera function

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgholland View Post
@TheRatsWon

About 1500 installed. Kenwood Dmx905s, S/XM tuner, dash kit, Maestro iDatalink. Replaced the 12v in the tray with a second rapid charge USB. The HU supports 2 rapid charge USB ports. Car Toys in Salem, OR was awesome.

Do you know what special part/adapter the shop used? On Crutchfield, they say that the Backup Camera is Not supported by even the "premium" install package even with the Maestro? This BU camera is definitely a feature that want to keep. They do say that all the steering wheel controls will work.

Thanks for the info. That looks like a great unit and I do like the OBDII data available.
peter
RWDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #26
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDFan View Post
Do you know what special part/adapter the shop used? On Crutchfield, they say that the Backup Camera is Not supported by even the "premium" install package even with the Maestro? This BU camera is definitely a feature that want to keep. They do say that all the steering wheel controls will work.

Thanks for the info. That looks like a great unit and I do like the OBDII data available.
peter
Crutchfield says that the backup camera won’t work because there is no plug-n-play harness available for the Maestro RR to make everything work with our 17 BRZs, but it can be done with some extra work. The closest thing is the T01 harness which requires adding several pins to the 28 pin connector to make the backup camera, factory amp and another thing or two work. There is a 6volt lead on the Maestro RR that SHOULD power the backup camera, but I found that it only put out 5 volts and would not turn on the camera... so I had to buy a 12volt to 6volt converter to make the camera work. Alternatively you can just skip the T01 harness and use the hardwire harness that is included with the Maestro RR. If you are like me and would rather use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay for navigation than built-in nav, there are cheaper head units available than the previously mentioned Kenwood. Search for my installation thread for more details.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
RWDFan

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 61 TR3A, 70 Porsche 914
Garage
Thanks for the info!
RWDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #28
bmxr

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP WR Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgholland View Post
Not sure if this is relevant anymore but I was finally able to upgrade the POS Clarion/Starlink HU in my 2016 BRZ. Went to Car Toys and they had the perfect solution. Kenwood Dmx905s with a special dash kit they found on Crutchfield. Had to add a separate Sirius/XM tuner. No problem there. Existing rear cam and SXM roof antenna integrated just fine. The best part was the Maestro idatalink. This interfaced with the OBD-II port and I get real time data that I didn't know was possible. I couldn't be happier. Wireless android auto (yes, wireless) works flawlessly with my Pixel 2 XL. It's like I have a brand new car. There seems to be a discrepancy between the dash avg. MPG and what the computer is sending across through the idatalink. I'll have to look into that... Happy camper!

I came here to say my HU works very well, although it may be lacking a few features, but this whole Maestro-OBD thing has me rethinking that! Very cool!

How customizable is that? Can you get oil and water temp, and oil pressure displayed?
bmxr is offline   Reply With Quote