follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #211
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Since the car in the video doesn't have HIDs, does that mean its the low-spec? Why would they use the low-spec? Also, does this Mean the low-spec comes with a wing?

Although, it could just be for lighting purposes.
That's probably Day running light. I don't think they will show low trim level at the show or in a trailer like this. Or maybe they have sport package for low trim. Who knows?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #212
Mr.Hachi.Roku
I'm NOT the *****istrator

Drives: 1NZ-FE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Personally, i am not absolutely sure there isnt any HID on the car.
In my opinion, there seems to be a projector lamp, and only HID uses projector lamp. Halogen doesnt.

The orange tint, imo, is caused by the pole lights aka position lights which are ususally orange in stock, even when paired with stock HIDs.

Bear in mind, stock HID from toyota is not pure white color, it is slightly yellowish. Also cars with HID usually have an additional halogen lamp for high beam purposes. And also this video have been edited for colour contrast etc, hence the colour doesnt appear as white as it is in reality.

I've circled in this picture to show where i could possibly see a projector lamp lookalike circle of much whiter light in a concentrated area, much like the light throw characteristics of HID. Halgoen doesnt throw light in a concentrated circle. And the picture also shows where i speculate the pole lights to be, causing the general orange tint.

I could be wrong though as the video image have been manipulated to the nth degree

Mr.Hachi.Roku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #213
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hachi.Roku View Post
In my opinion, there seems to be a projector lamp, and only HID uses projector lamp. Halogen doesn't.
Thats false, sorry to burst your bubble

06-07 Imprezas had the same projector style halogen, as did the 05-09 Legacys. And thats just two for the sake of naming specific models, LOTS of cars have this kind of projector halogen headlight. Its just a nifty piece of glass in front of the halogen bulb.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #214
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post

06-07 Imprezas had the same projector style halogen, as did the 05-09 Legacys. And thats just two for the sake of naming specific models, LOTS of cars have this kind of projector halogen headlight. Its just a nifty piece of glass in front of the halogen bulb.
^that. not to mention that it is clearly stated (and consistent) in all the leaks that the HID model has a LED strip, which the car in the video doesn't.
Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #215
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

+1 also keep in mind that HID doesn't always have a halogen hi-beam. Google bi-xenon projectors.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #216
Mr.Hachi.Roku

Quote:

is that so, then i must be mistaken, thanks for pointing it out
Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #217
Mr.Hachi.Roku

so the only way to tell a HID from a Halogen is from the colour temperature and brigtness? since both can be using projector lamps
Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #218
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

^^ Truth, Projector housing don't mean that the lamp is a HID type lamp. Both Halogen's and HID's can both use projector housings. HID's (Xenon's, Heavy Metal Halides, HMI's and MSR's) are the only types of lamp that REQUIRE a projector housing, both Halogen's and LED's can use plain reflector only type housings but HID's require condenser optics for focused and controlled light output. This is because HID's cannot use metal reflectors inside the lamp itself and multiple filaments to create high beams and low beams. Metal reflectors inside the lamp itself would just melt due to the high temperatures encounters in an Arc type lamp. You also cannot use multiple housings to get high and low beams, this is because of the long warm up times on HID lamps before they reach full brightness after being struck (in the entertainment industry we call it "striking an arc"). Also it's due to the fact that every time you strike (or ignite as some people say) a lamp, you lose about 1 hour of lamp life, you also cannot restrike a lamp within 10 or fifteen minutes of turning the lamp off...the lamp MUST cool to a certain temperature before it can be re-struck, unless you have what is called a "hot re-strike ballast" which is more expensive and seldom used in cars.

This means having two separate HID projector housings, one for highs and one for lows is not feasible, as the constant re-striking of the high beams would kill their lamp life as well as not being able to turn your high beams back on for 15 minutes after turning them off would not be a good thing. This is why on production cars with HID's the high beams are created by ether physically moving the lamp within the projector housing to change the lights focal point OR having a second high wattage Halogen housing mounted NEXT to the HID housing. You will notice in cars with the latter option, the high beams only add the Halogen's to the HID's and do not turn the HID's off due to the previously mentioned hot re-strike complication.

As an entertainment technician I am very well versed in the area of lighting

-Trev
Entertainment Lighting Tech
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #219
Sony

Quote:
so the only way to tell a HID from a Halogen is from the colour temperature and brigtness? since both can be using projector lamps
Wrong, HID's and Halogen's can have similar color temperatures and outputs although yes, most likely the rule of thumb is halogens are low color temperature and HID's are high, however it's not a perfect rule, it all depends on how each lamp is designed, you can achieve higher or lower color temperatures in each type by lengthening or shortening lamp life. For instance I've seen 5,000k halogen's (those little display lamps you see mounted to lighting tracks in stores are usually 5000k) and I've seen 2500k HID's (usually those orange street lamps you see on the highway.) Halogens however do require more power to output at the same brightness as HID's are they are only about 2% efficient at best where HID's are closer to 10 to 15%, florescent's are something like 40% efficient and LED's are 60%. Don't quote me on those numbers as I am trying to remember from memory...I don't have supporting documents in front of me.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #220
v12

Drives: none =[[
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Personally, i am not absolutely sure there isnt any HID on the car.
In my opinion, there seems to be a projector lamp, and only HID uses projector lamp. Halogen doesnt.

The orange tint, imo, is caused by the pole lights aka position lights which are ususally orange in stock, even when paired with stock HIDs.

Bear in mind, stock HID from toyota is not pure white color, it is slightly yellowish. Also cars with HID usually have an additional halogen lamp for high beam purposes. And also this video have been edited for colour contrast etc, hence the colour doesnt appear as white as it is in reality.

I've circled in this picture to show where i could possibly see a projector lamp lookalike circle of much whiter light in a concentrated area, much like the light throw characteristics of HID. Halgoen doesnt throw light in a concentrated circle. And the picture also shows where i speculate the pole lights to be, causing the general orange tint.

I could be wrong though as the video image have been manipulated to the nth degree

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #221
Mr.Hachi.Roku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
Wrong, HID's and Halogen's can have similar color temperatures and outputs although yes, most likely the rule of thumb is halogens are low color temperature and HID's are high, however it's not a perfect rule, it all depends on how each lamp is designed, you can achieve higher or lower color temperatures in each type by lengthening or shortening lamp life. For instance I've seen 5,000k halogen's (those little display lamps you see mounted to lighting tracks in stores are usually 5000k) and I've seen 2500k HID's (usually those orange street lamps you see on the highway.) Halogens however do require more power to output at the same brightness as HID's are they are only about 2% efficient at best where HID's are closer to 10 to 15%, florescent's are something like 40% efficient and LED's are 60%. Don't quote me on those numbers as I am trying to remember from memory...I don't have supporting documents in front of me.
what i was trying to say was how can we tell if it's halogen or hid that we see in the vid?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #222
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
what i was trying to say was how can we tell if it's halogen or hid that we see in the vid?
One thing is for sure, the glow isn't bright enough to be from the headlights, it is just the DRL. DRL never use the projector lense, they are usually a smaller incandescent bulb or sometimes CFLs like BMW or LEDs like Audi. Conclusion: you can't tell from the vid if it has HID or halogen headlights.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #223
Sony

Quote:
Next to impossible to tell, but most likely it's the low spec Halogen model. No idea though, like you said before...the picture could be photoshopped to hell. But most likely it's Halogen, the HID model is supposed to have the LED Clearance lights in the headlamps, I do not see them therefore it's prolly the Halogen. The company is probably turning out multiple different models to use as test dummies right now, so they probably just grabbed whichever one was available for the test shots. Hence why they show a white one, a black one and a red one, they are probably 3 different models they had on hand at the time while others are going out for crash testing and other assorted tests like DOT and emissions.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #224
Mr.Hachi.Roku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
Next to impossible to tell, but most likely it's the low spec Halogen model. No idea though, like you said before...the picture could be photoshopped to hell. But most likely it's Halogen, the HID model is supposed to have the LED Clearance lights in the headlamps, I do not see them therefore it's prolly the Halogen.
sounds about right :happy0180: