follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Non-Coilovers options for track use

Hi all,

My race team has a 2013 FRS we are running and we currently have rebound/height adjustable MCS Coilovers. One of the series we run (ChampCar) does penalty points based on mods, and these coilovers score us a ton of points and penalty laps.

We are looking for a sort of cup kit alternative that would save us the points for when we run Champ. I don’t see any full kits, so am mostly wondering if anyone here has experience with different shock/spring combos on track.

Thanks!
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:37 PM   #2
Kelse92
At the track

Drives: '14 FRS - Former e92 M3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't know a lot about ChampCar rules so is the ride height adjustability the problem? Spring changes? Both? Multiple line items?

Bilsten makes a pretty good OEM replacement shock you could probably get that is non-adjustable to save points, but you'd need to go back to stock springs (or other aftermarket lowering spring) also.
You can then decide if you want to use or not use camber plates etc, but at least you would probably save some points for non-adjustable perches and non-adjustable shocks.

Someone that knows ChampCar rules in here may have some better ways to optimize but those are just a few ideas
GrandSport (03-20-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
Hi all,

My race team has a 2013 FRS we are running and we currently have rebound/height adjustable MCS Coilovers. One of the series we run (ChampCar) does penalty points based on mods, and these coilovers score us a ton of points and penalty laps.

We are looking for a sort of cup kit alternative that would save us the points for when we run Champ. I don’t see any full kits, so am mostly wondering if anyone here has experience with different shock/spring combos on track.

Thanks!
I would contact Jonathan Lugod at Shaftworks and customize a set of non-adjustable valved at the specific rate you're planning on running.

I know personally he's done this for an NA Miata running within Champ and that team has been more than impressed with the change.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
G_Ride (03-10-2023), Kelse92 (03-07-2023), RedReplicant (03-20-2023), strat61caster (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 01:37 PM   #4
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
I would contact Jonathan Lugod at Shaftworks and customize a set of non-adjustable valved at the specific rate you're planning on running.

I know personally he's done this for an NA Miata running within Champ and that team has been more than impressed with the change.
https://shaftworksusa.com
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Could you switch perches and springs on the MCS and save enough points to make it worth keeping 'em?

The way the spring rules are written are wild, no idea what they are trying to accomplish other then making replacing sagging springs on an old car with readily available H&R or Eibach springs valid (like old specE30 kits, which got replaced with linear rate springs a few years ago apparently), which like, you're hitting a racetrack, a set of Eibach/Hyperco 2.5" springs are way cheaper then oem style 90mm lowering deals and they can accomplish their goals with just the spring diameter line and remove the rest.

While I'm a happy shaftworks customer seems to me Koni Yellows might be a good choice unless you take significant points for the rebound adjustment and are looking for non-adjustable, which Bilstein is pretty much the only quality option for this car that I know of.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Are you allowed a spring change without penalty?

The Bilstein B8+Eibach Sportline spring is an effective combination. Non-adjustable and non-height adjustable.
Kelse92 (03-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 03:56 PM   #7
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
I don't know a lot about ChampCar rules so is the ride height adjustability the problem? Spring changes? Both? Multiple line items?

Bilsten makes a pretty good OEM replacement shock you could probably get that is non-adjustable to save points, but you'd need to go back to stock springs (or other aftermarket lowering spring) also.
You can then decide if you want to use or not use camber plates etc, but at least you would probably save some points for non-adjustable perches and non-adjustable shocks.

Someone that knows ChampCar rules in here may have some better ways to optimize but those are just a few ideas
This. Why not just rebuild/revalve/respring OEM to whatever you run your coilovers at?

If that's not allowed, I'd strongly recommend looking into cheating lol. Just spray them with WD40, rub them in a little dirt and paint the springs OEM color. lol
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote