follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #57
frs23

Drives: FR-S H Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
>>Frankly, I wouldn’t change a thing about the GT86. Because it’s so bland, it doesn’t attract too much attention. You can therefore have fun without being marked out by passers-by as an anorak.

But changing things can be fun and it was made to embrace a ecosystem of tuning options
frs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #58
yormaX
Rage your Dream

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
"Frankly, I wouldn’t change a thing about the GT86. Because it’s so bland, it doesn’t attract too much attention. You can therefore have fun without being marked out by passers-by as an anorak."

yormaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #59
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
Or.... he's like 99.9% of the world, and doesn't actually know what the speed of sound is. Which is cool; I freely admit I'm a nerd, so no big whoop.

Still highly entertained by this editorial, and by the man himself usually (even if we do clash on some political views now and then).
What if he purposefully used hyperbole to mess with the pocket protector crowd?

http://xkcd.com/356/
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheRipler For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-02-2012), TuxedoCartman (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #60
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I like the review and agree with the same reasons he likes the car.

For people that don't think the FRS/BRZ is low enough... Huh? Really, are you joking??? The first thing I noticed bout this car when I first sat in the driver seat to get ready for the test drive was, "WHOA, the seating and stance of this car is sooo LOW... This is stock? So cool. I'm in love...". That was before I even drove it and fell in love again.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #61
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I can't say how much it makes me grin that Jeremy "POWAAHHH!!" Clarkson likes the FT so much.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #62
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipler View Post
What if he purposefully used hyperbole to mess with the pocket protector crowd?

http://xkcd.com/356/

hmmm... seems mathematicians are the bigger challenge... (why does this forum not have the little devil smiley?!)
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #63
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Not sure if being sarcastic or just trolling?

1) Fender bulge is functional for driver to place car on road as @SubieNate mentioned.

2) Fender bulge is functional for suspension clearance. Just like the Porsche 911 and Cayman, the FR-S uses an inboard strut/spring layout (as opposed to most other cars where the spring seats hover over the top of the tire). So the struts are already placed lower than normal. But because the flat engine is mounted so low, the strut towers look tall in comparison and require the bulges:

The Veloster doesn't look particularly tall compared to other cars on the road. But when next to my car (stock height)...

Need I comment on Boxster height?

Disagree. And your pics support what I'm saying.

1) The engine sits inches below the hood (hood when closed).

2) "Fender bulge is functional for suspension clearance." Not a chance. Those strut tops are below the fender line and inboard of the entirely decorative wheel humps. But I'd like to buy you a beer and argue about this with an FR-S in front of us. I could be missing something.

3) You all need wheel humps to "place" the car? How about a downward sloping hood, so that you could actually see the front of the car, the corners, the front bumper?

4) I was never talking about the roof height of the car, but now that you mention it, it wouldn't break my heart if it were lower. R8 is at 49.3. Evora is at 48.3. McLaren F1 is at 44.9.

Moto-P told me that they originally designed the front of the car to be lower, but structurally it couldn't pass impact tests. The added height of the fenders is there to add structural rigidity.

Note 1: The Veloster looks like a big, fat, tall lump to me.

Note 2: I'm not "hating on" the FR-S. I'm just saying that it seems big to me. I'm 6'1" and I have to jack up the driver's seat until my head touches the roof just to see where I'm going. But maybe this will change over time and I will adjust to the car.

Last edited by Marrk; 10-03-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #64
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
As i read his whole review, and even as the compliments came down the conveyer belt-- i kept asking myself, "He thinks it's ugly?"

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #65
The Robot Cow

Drives: 1985 Corolla Gt-s coupe
To me in stock form it has a pretty good stance(don't get this confused with hellaflush yo!) to it. The overall size of the car is amazing.

I also read this in Clarkson's voice and it made it that much better.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #66
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
1) The engine sits inches below the hood (hood when closed).
And? It needs clearance else engine bay temps become unreliably hot.
Quote:
2) "Fender bulge is functional for suspension clearance." Not a chance. Those struts tops are below the fender line and inboard of the entirely decorative wheel humps. But I'd like to buy you a beer and argue about this with an FR-S in front of us. I could be missing something.
Look at the engine bay picture again.

The components need space overhead for efficient heat dissipation. With the towers being among the highest points; bulges are a result of the hood being draped tightly over a nearly uniform sized layer of air. Also note the thick crash structure beams fit neatly in that air gap (which also add to rigidity).
Quote:
3) You all need wheel humps to "place" the car? How about a downward sloping hood, so that you could actually see the front of the car, the corners, the front bumper?
Not necessary but highly practical even when parking. Better with than without. Contributes to the car's driver-centric theme.
Quote:
4) I was never talking about the roof height of the car, but now that you mention it, it wouldn't break my heart if it were lower. R8 is at 49.3. Evora is at 48.3. McLaren F1 is at 44.9.
The pagoda roof structure is stronger yet thin for a lower height than normal whilst accommodating tall people wearing helmets. And allows for vertical space to stack wheels. It's as low is it could be without compromising practicality for the enthusiast; unlike those other cars.
Quote:
Moto-P told me that they originally designed the front of the car to be lower, but structurally it couldn't pass impact tests. The added height of the fenders is there to add structural rigidity.
Exactly (I touched on this in item #2).
Quote:
Note 1: The Veloster looks like a big, fat, tall lump to me.

Note 2: I'm not "hating on" the FR-S. I'm just saying that it seems big to me. I'm 6'1" and I have to jack up the driver's seat until my head touches the roof just to see where I'm going. But maybe this will change over time and I will adjust to the car.
Really? I've seen people on this forum complain about how high the seating position is. Do you really always need to see all the way to the front of the car? To me, the fender bulges are a godsend; way more than what I'm used to... with all other cars I've owned I'd see nothing but the windshield; not even the hood.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #67
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I agree. And maybe I'm weird, but I am 6' 0" and as soon as I got in for my test drive, I cranked the seat all the way down to the lowest setting... I hate sitting high and not only does this car feel super low, but if you crank that seat all the way down it feels like you are sitting on the freakin ground. I love it. Maybe I'm weird.

PS - visibility is not a problem for me sitting low. I have never curb rashed wheels. I've never hit anything in front or backed into anything (knock on wood please).
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #68
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Both evolved from the Holden Commodore though, didn't they?
Nope. That was the G8. The hot version of that was the G8 GXP, came with an LS3 and was available in stick. Also, unfortunately, was still plagued by

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
The one they had in the episode was the CTS-V.

I don't think the CTS or the STS were based off of Holdens.

The only Holden based cars I know of are the GTO, the G8, the Camaro, and the upcoming Chevy sport sedan.

Nathan
This. The CTS and STS were both designed in-house here. One look at the front suspension and you can tell. No stupid radius rods. Upper and lower control arms.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #69
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My most favorite part of the review... lmfao

"if you do make a mess of it and you’re heading for a tree, you can open the door and get out."
Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #70
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@switchlanez: "efficient heat dissipation"? You're killing me, man. What's next? The astrology chart of the car said it had to be this high?

You are impossible to argue with. But I'd still like to buy you a beer.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote