follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Differential (LSD) leak on track + what OEM bits to replace with OSGiken (Sci...

Had a great time at NJMP sans the diff leak on the second day. Nothing major, car drives fine but generated some blue smoke from the drip hitting a hot exhaust...to distract drivers behind me...jk. Waited to cool and had knowledgeable help to check diff fluid and tighten things up. After next session asked driver behind me for signs, and there was some smell and little smoke, but that may have been leftovers moving around from the initial drip.

Anyone else developed a diff leak on track? Please PM me if you prefer not to reply here, I'd like to know if this is an issue and what specifically was the issue. Apparently Scion updated some kind of seal(s?) on newer diffs...anyone knows more about this?

I wanted to do it anyway but I am now set on getting OSGiken 1.5 LSD very soon. If you've done it and have recommendations for what OEM diff parts to replace at the same time, please chime in, thx
@CSG Mike and others with experience, kindly comment, thank you

Last edited by dp1; 05-20-2014 at 07:10 AM.
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Where is it leaking from? From the pinion seal where the driveshaft bolts to, the driver or passenger side axle seal, or from the diff cover itself?
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
I replaced the carrier bearings and axle seals when installing my diff. That's really all you can replace unless you have to remove the pinion if it's the pinion seal that is leaking.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
dp1 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
dp1
driving smoother faster

Differential (LSD) leak on track + what OEM bits to replace with OSGiken (Sci...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Where is it leaking from? From the pinion seal where the driveshaft bolts to, the driver or passenger side axle seal, or from the diff cover itself?

Haven't had a chance to go to the shop yet to examine but talked to them about having OSGiken installed asap...recently had the single piece aluminum driveshaft and stronger axles installed also...will provide an update, thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 AM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
Had a great time at NJMP sans the diff leak on the second day. Nothing major, car drives fine but generated some blue smoke from the drip hitting a hot exhaust...to distract drivers behind me...jk. Waited to cool and had knowledgeable help to check diff fluid and tighten things up. After next session asked driver behind me for signs, and there was some smell and little smoke, but that may have been leftovers moving around from the initial drip.

Anyone else developed a trans leak on track? Please PM me if you prefer not to reply here, I'd like to know if this is an issue and what specifically was the issue. Apparently Scion updated some kind of diff seal(s?) on newer diffs...anyone knows more about this?

I wanted to do it anyway but I am now set on getting OSGiken 1.5 LSD very soon. If you've done it and have recommendations for what OEM diff parts to replace at the same time, please chime in, thx
@CSG Mike and others with experience, kindly comment, thank you
Leaking = overfilled or really REALLY overheated fluid. Overheating the fluid is unlikely.

We've been playing with a lot of Cusco diffs lately, and can give you settings for when you build the diff if you go Cusco. All you need to do is swap the core, and fluids. Remember to break in your diff properly for maximum life.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
subielife
Subaru Ambassador

Drives: 13 BRZ 18 Silverado
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was driving his car when it started leaking. Got it into the air after the session and the drain bolt was loose, atleast 1/2 turn until tight again. Then I opened the fill hole and a good amount of fluid drained. Not normal, and a few of us agreed it was overfilled.
subielife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
dp1
driving smoother faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Leaking = overfilled or really REALLY overheated fluid. Overheating the fluid is unlikely.

We've been playing with a lot of Cusco diffs lately, and can give you settings for when you build the diff if you go Cusco. All you need to do is swap the core, and fluids. Remember to break in your diff properly for maximum life.

I'm taking the car to Scion tomorrow morning to have this checked out. The fluid was changed to Motul by [removed shop name due to bad experience] at around 11k miles. Was looking at OSGiken but now I see the "manual transmission only"...Cusco would be my other top choice but I need to research best AT diff options some more. Will follow break in procedures to the letter.

Thanks!

Last edited by dp1; 02-09-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
dp1
driving smoother faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Passenger side axle seal, apparently due to the broken c-clip on DSS axles (http://www.driveshaftshop.com/featur...-in-rear-axles), so the axle is not fixed at the point of entry into diff and slides freely.

Last edited by dp1; 02-09-2018 at 05:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
subielife (05-22-2014), Surok (02-06-2018)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
dp1
driving smoother faster

Given the c-clip failure and free movement of axle in and out of the diff, should I look to replace that axle under warranty if the teeth may have been grinding against diff gears? Want to make sure there are no weak points introduced when OSG comes in. Please advise, thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
subielife
Subaru Ambassador

I would definitely get in touch with DSS about that.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
dp1
driving smoother faster

Just talked to EFI and they will order carrier bearings, axle seals and pinion seal to have on standby if we need them, then return if we don't - great approach.

I talked to DSS re axle, and both they and EFI mentioned it's unlikely it got damaged due to design. Clip can be retrieved with a magnet if it's still inside when axle is pulled out. DSS is sending spare clips now to have ready for Tuesday at (removed shop name due to bad experience).

Last edited by dp1; 02-09-2018 at 05:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
subielife
Subaru Ambassador

Jack at EFI will make sure that the car is working correctly. You're going to Thompson Speedway? I might have a new suspension on my car by then.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
dp1
driving smoother faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by subielife View Post
Jack at EFI will make sure that the car is working correctly. You're going to Thompson Speedway? I might have a new suspension on my car by then.

Haven't signed up yet as I'll be back at NJMP on 6/16-17 but I might go, will let you know
Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
dp1
driving smoother faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by subielife View Post

I signed up, so 3 track days done (WGI and NJMP) and 7 more to go (for now) - back to NJMP (both Lightning and Thunderbolt) and TS in June, and WGI and Pocono in July.