follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #841
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
I have this this entire thread as well as the one on the BRZ forum, quite a few people have suggested a thicker custom gasket or doubling up the OE one. I have already purchased a new set from Toyota that I will use on the new taillights when they're installed, right now I'm letting the other set air out.

The idea of building the dam doesn't appeal to me, as it traps the water on top of the trunk area, instead of letting it flow down and out as its intended to. I'm not suggesting the Toyota/Subaru design is ideal (far from it), but I'd much rather have condensation in my taillights than salt water sitting on the quarter panel of the car, especially since this car doesn't have any other drain holes. We'll see if my condensation comes back in a few days, it was just very weird that there was no hint of it until a year after the car arrived.
I beg to differ - my snow man snot dam DOES NOT trap water on top of the trunk area.

Because of the shape of the dam, the angles, and gravity, ALL flowing water is evacuated - none is trapped to left sit on the quarter panel of the car.

That was the first thing I checked when shaping the snot dam. I checked with direct, indirect and every conceivable water flow and volume I could devise. I also checked after natural inundation (rain) verses man made.

The idea as first posted by me was to build a dam to prevent ingress to the seals and cause EGRESS away from the car.

If you build a dam to trap water you are doing it wrong. Reshape and spray till you get the right shape and NO water remains. Took me only a few seconds the first try to get the right shape.

By the way - with my stock gaskets, snowman snot dam, still no condensation !

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #842
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
3M Automotive Weatherstrip Adhesive (1oz tube) works well and isn't expensive. I've used it to install my gaskets in 3 of my own sets of tail lights (factory, Colin, Valentis), and for installs for at least 10 other people with good results.

Here's a video I made for my site showing how I apply the adhesive, you can skip to 4:40 for the application.

Thank you for the video, it was very helpful. Any specific place you know that carries the weatherstrip adhesive? I can check autozone or advance, but can also order online if necessary.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #843
wdninja

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you for the video, it was very helpful. Any specific place you know that carries the weatherstrip adhesive? I can check autozone or advance, but can also order online if necessary.
It's at Advance Auto for sure and I've also seen it on Amazon. I'm sure it's at other auto stores as well, but that's where I get mine.

They have a few sizes at Advance Auto. The 1oz tube should be plenty, no need to spend more than that.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #844
jermyzy

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hey guys, I'm bringing my Subaru to the dealership tomorrow to look at taillight condensation. In the past I've ignored it, as it usually disappears, but now it's actually collecting water at the bottom. Am I better off parking the car inside the garage or outside tonight to have a better chance of the condensation showing up tomorrow morning?
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #845
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
^^
Wherever it's cooler.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #846
Burninator
Trogdor ftw

Drives: Asphalt FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Some Walmarts also carry it. Picked up a tube of it from there for less than 5 bucks a while back.

"Hell hath no fury like a driver stuck behind a Toyota Prius."
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #847
Pake1

Drives: SWP Premium BRZ
I have ninja's gaskets and am ready to apply-

However, I've had the same condensation in my taillight for the past 2-3 weeks and hasn't gone away... Should I just go to the dealership, get the new taillights, then put on the new gaskets, or just put them on these ones?
Pake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #848
RFB

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pake1 View Post

However, I've had the same condensation in my taillight for the past 2-3 weeks and hasn't gone away... Should I just go to the dealership, get the new taillights, then put on the new gaskets, or just put them on these ones?
Get new ones - if not free on warranty you can take out the condensation with swishing methyl hydrate (only, nothing else) over the water and pouring it out.

If warranty, have them install as stock, go home then do it right (new sealed gasket and snot dam, don't over tighten). Don't tell them and give them an excuse to blame you for future problems. (A dealer mechanic saw my replacement switchback led's and made a note for future warranty exclusion re. led's not bulbs).

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #849
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pake1 View Post

Honestly I don't think it really matters. I had condensation and got my lights replaced last January. The condensation came back last week. I installed the ninja gaskets with sealant on Friday so we'll see how it works out. I did pull the bulbs and use a hair dryer to circulate hot air in the lights prior to installation to make sure there was no moisture left in them.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #850
Felix7007

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Yes, noticed this and had my passenger tail light replaced under warranty.
Felix7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #851
mikeg7827

Drives: 1995 Ford Probe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
its been 14 months since both driver & passenger tails replaced and i have condensation again in just my drivers side TL...this is such a PITA... supposedly they ordered the TL tuesday and havent heard anything yet.

when you buy a car.. crap like this shouldnt happen... i dont see many tc's or other toyota tails with issues like this ... this often.

i know there are worse things to complain about but seriously.. i bought an extended warranty on this car and they started to ask me questions like was m driving different since i got the new tails? im like no... and they looked at me like i had 3 heads.
mikeg7827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #852
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Went to the grocery store today and noticed I've got a puddle. Driver's side only so far. Almost 1 yr old and just started.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #853
subiestyle

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S White MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Do the aftermarket taillights have the same problem?
subiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #854
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiestyle View Post
Do the aftermarket taillights have the same problem?
A few local members have had leaking aftermarket tail lights. Don't recall the exact brands though.

I still haven't had any issues with the ninja gasket, but it's too soon to say for sure that it will last.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote