follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #127
Sutty

Drives: Sonic Blue 86 GTS 6AT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
The pocket just pulls out by hand for the button install, yeah?
The easiest way to get the pocket out is:

Remove the trim under the kneepad on passenger side
Pop out USB port from behind and disconnect wiring
Hook finger through the empty USB hole and pull out.
Wiring loom at back of the starter button has one release catch and the button itself has two release catches top and bottom.
Took me less than 5 minutes to do including refitting USB and trim .
Sutty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sutty For This Useful Post:
OrbitalEllipses (10-26-2012), Surok (10-26-2012)
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #128
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
I finished off the CF Vinyl wrapping today.

First of all I tackled the steering wheel plastic.
I removed the airbag using this DIY tutorial:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...airbag+removal

Thanks @Synack

The only slight difference I found was that there were only three holes in the steering wheel (3, 6 & 9 O'Clock).
I used a thin bladed screw driver and managed to push on the 'spring' first time. I needed to release the springs at all three holes to get the airbag to come off. Also I didn't bother disconnecting either the horn fuses or battery, I only set the horn off twice (once during removal, once during fitting). I also left the wiring connected to the airbag and simply moved it out of the way to access the screws.

Upon removing the airbag there are two screws that you need to undo at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions

Attachment 15183

Upon removing these two screws there is a clip on the lower spoke of the plastic but this pulls out very easily.
This is the plastic removed from the wheel.

Attachment 15184

This is what it looks like after about an hour of heating and stretching, heating and stretching, heating and stretching - you get my drift and reinstalled.

Attachment 15185

To refit the airbag into the steering wheel after replacing the plastic I found that one good push on the airbag/horn clicked it right back in to place. No problems.

I also tackled the two upright pieces of plastic either side of the HVAC controls again. Last time I got too frustrated trying to remove the panels that I put the vinyl on with the pieces still in place. Suffice to say I wasn't satisfied with the result so I tackled the removal of the panels again using this DIY tutorial:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13583

Thanks @Trojan_SC

The only difficulty I had with this was getting the USB/Storage Hole/Starter Button Panel out. In the end I ended up pushing out the USB port, as this is all I could touch with the limited amount of room behind the panel. Upon removing the USB port I disconnected the wiring, pushed the wiring back into the centre console and then hooked my finger through the empty USB hole and managed after a couple of attempts to get the part out.

Attachment 15186

It is held in by 6 rather large tabs, one of them sustained a small amount of damage coming out (centre one) but it did re-engage fully upon replacing it.

Attachment 15187

Looks 100% better and no more tiny little bits of silver showing where I over cut during my first install.

Part of removing the USB/Storage/Starter meant removing the gear stick surround again. I found the easiest way to remove it from the console was by putting a trim removal tool in here:

Attachment 15189

I'm really happy with how it all turned out. The only slightly disappointing piece is the gear shift knob as it is really difficult to trim the vinyl around the top silver disc without either nicking the leather or cutting it too much and exposing some silver, but I am going to be swapping this out for a TRD one anyway.
Hey sutty how did you remove the ones around the center console?
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #129
Sutty

Drives: Sonic Blue 86 GTS 6AT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Hey sutty how did you remove the ones around the center console?
I presume you mean the ones either side of the HVAC controls?
It's a bit more complicated.

Remove radio surround trim
Remove Gear stick surround trim
remove the mat out of the centre console.
remove the plastic trim underneath the kneepads
Remove the USB/Starter button console piece
Remove handbrake boot - reach down the side of the seat, hook your fingers under the trim and lift up, pops off easy - pull vinyl off over the handbrake.

With all that stuff removed:
There are two bolts under the centre console mat - remove
There are four screws holding the centre console down around the gear stick - remove them.

There are then two screws under the radio holding the trim pieces in, remove them.
Pull the trim pieces towards the back of the car and the pieces slide out.
One remove you will see that there is one screw holding the trim piece to the kneepad. Remove that screw and the kneepad and trim piece pull apart.

If that is too confusing here's a DIY I did on another forum - edit the URL as this forum blocks them:

www (dot) 86forums (dot) com (dot) au/index.php?/topic/484-how-to-remove-hvac-trim-pieces-for-cf-wrapping/
Sutty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutty For This Useful Post:
Minovsky (04-25-2013)