follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #43
zenki_levin
Road Warrior

Drives: AE86 Levin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
Standard Stradia II
Do want

Brides are awesome seats. They are sturdy, comfortable and don't look tacky like alot of other seats.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #44
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Okay, FINALLY got enough real-life out of my way that I had time to take pics of my Stradia II (just didn't have time to clean my car, or wait for good light... don't judge me!)

And here's one of the "TRD" side-airbag canceler...

What's that you say? It looks like somebody jammed a handful of resistors into the male end of an airbag harness connector, then frantically wrapped the whole thing in a roll ofyellow electrical tape? Why yes... yes it does. Compared to some of the cleaner units I've seen made by TRD in the past, this one is almost embarrassing to look at. But that's okay, since it does its job perfectly fine, and doesn't seem to be in any danger of falling apart anytime soon (not with THAT much tape, anyway). I can live with non-blingy parts, so long as they're out of sight.

@Hanakuso: sorry man, I've been through all my usual searches and my history folder as well, but can't find that site where I saw those airbag cancelers for sale. If I happen to stumble across it again, though, I'll PM it to you.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (11-21-2012), civicdrivr (11-17-2012), ft86Fan (11-22-2012), Hanakuso (11-19-2012), Prava (11-19-2012), Slartibartfast (11-22-2012), zenki_levin (11-17-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #45
driver01

Drives: brz 13
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, let's put it this way: I'll be switching to an automatic, because I no longer have the leg to operate a clutch with, and can't shift and steer with only one arm. Hope my kids never need a kidney from me. LOL...

Nah, it was expensive, but not end-of-the-world so. About $1800 for the Stradia II w/ black carbon fiber back (スーパーアラミド) and aluminum frame; pretty much top of the line for Bride, and only weighs 12kg. The TRD rails, side-airbag canceler, and sound-changers together were another $320.

I'll post pics tomorrow.
where can i get the TRD rails?
driver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #46
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Is it true the Bride brand name is pronounced "bree-day"? In this video by 7tune Magazine about the yellow Bee*R Rocket Bunny BRZ shot in Japan, the editor pointed out its "bree-day" racing seats.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtSuTzqiOZE&feature=youtube_gdata"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtSuTzqiOZE[/ame]
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #47
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver01 View Post
where can i get the TRD rails?
I got mine from a friend who runs an import/ export business in Japan. I'll PM you her contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Is it true the Bride brand name is pronounced "bree-day"? In this video by 7tune Magazine about the yellow Bee*R Rocket Bunny BRZ shot in Japan, the editor pointed out its "bree-day" racing seats.

Nope. It's actually pronounced "boo-rid-do", like you would say the last half of the word "hybrid" or "breed" if speaking in a Japanese accent (if that sounds like two different ways of pronouncing it, all I can say is I've heard Japanese people say it both ways; I think it's a regional dialect thing). But regardless whether you read the middle sound as an "ri" or a "ree", the end sound is definitely a "do" sound. Which always confuses me as to how I should refer to these seats when speaking, because the English is clearly "bride", as in a woman being married, but the Japanese spelling of the same word is completely different. I just use "bride" when speaking English, and "buriddo" when talking to Japanese people. [For what it's worth, I've studied Japanese on-and-off for ten years, and lived in Japan for three].

Here's what Google translate has to say on the matter: http://translate.google.com/#ja/en/ブリッド
Old 11-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #48
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Man, all this talk about buriddos is making me hungry.
TuxedoCartman (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #49
TuxedoCartman
Banned

LMAO.... Hey! You start gnawing on my seat, we're gonna have problems!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #50
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I thought "r" is almost always "d" in Japanese? I've never heard an "r" pronounced in Japanese. "Hachi doku"
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #51
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
I thought "r" is almost always "d" in Japanese? I've never heard an "r" pronounced in Japanese. "Hachi doku"
??? Umm... no? I can honestly say I've never heard that before.

Their "R" sounds (ら,り,る,れ,ろ) are kinda halfway between how we pronounce an "R" and an "L". When writing or speaking English words, those sounds pull double duty for both our R's and L's (which, at times, can result in confusion... especially with words like clown/ crown, clam/ cram, etc...) The Japanese syllabary has a seperate distinct set of characters and pronunciation for our "D" sounds (ダ, ディ, デュ, デ,ド).

What can I say: I'm a car AND language geek!

Update: Hmm... after thinking on it some more, sometimes Japanese will omit the "R" sound entirely, if it comes after a vowel and before a hard consonant. For example, "hard" written in Japanese would be pronounced "haa-doh", and written "ハード". No "R" character at all; instead a drawn out "A" sound followed by a "D" character. Is that maybe what you were thinking of, Tanuki?

Last edited by TuxedoCartman; 11-22-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #52
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I got mine from a friend who runs an import/ export business in Japan. I'll PM you her contact info.

Nope. It's actually pronounced "boo-rid-do", like you would say the last half of the word "hybrid" or "breed" if speaking in a Japanese accent (if that sounds like two different ways of pronouncing it, all I can say is I've heard Japanese people say it both ways; I think it's a regional dialect thing). But regardless whether you read the middle sound as an "ri" or a "ree", the end sound is definitely a "do" sound. Which always confuses me as to how I should refer to these seats when speaking, because the English is clearly "bride", as in a woman being married, but the Japanese spelling of the same word is completely different. I just use "bride" when speaking English, and "buriddo" when talking to Japanese people. [For what it's worth, I've studied Japanese on-and-off for ten years, and lived in Japan for three].

Here's what Google translate has to say on the matter: http://translate.google.com/#ja/en/ブリッド
You would be correct but actually it's "breed". At least that is how the people I meet that worked at Tee's and Bride Japan pronounced it. Actually that's how all my old coworkers said it as well.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #53
axss

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine 6SPD MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Curious are people getting new seats for weight? track day? or just looks?

I got my FR-S just yesterday and had to drive it for an hour on the highway. They were plenty comfortable.
axss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #54
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
You would be correct but actually it's "breed". At least that is how the people I meet that worked at Tee's and Bride Japan pronounced it. Actually that's how all my old coworkers said it as well.
That's why I'm thinking it's a regional dialect thing. I 100% believe you, and it's hard to get more original source than Bride themselves. But I know I've heard it said both ways, "brid" and "breed" by Japanese people; and by the strictest of language rules, the way they spell it, it should be "brid" (not that grammar rules mean anything anywhere anymore. *cough* their they're there *cough*).

Haha, you guys got me obsessing over it so much, I went browsing through videos trying to find someone in Japan talking about these seats, so I could hear SOMEBODY say it while I was paying attention. Of course, the official Bride video series they have online, the guy rambles for 10 minutes on each seat, and never once says the company name. Bastard. But I did find this video...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHofUHHGjw"]‰菱 ƒŸƒƒ‚ƒ ‚‚ƒ†‚ RS 5€Ÿƒžƒ‹ƒ‚ƒ BRIDEƒ‚ƒƒƒˆ‚ƒƒˆ - YouTube[/ame]

... where around the 26 second mark, he comments on his seat. When he says it, it almost sounds like he's splitting the difference between "brid" and "breed". To me, sounds most like the last couple of syllables of "hybrid".

RIGHT!!! As the self-appointed grammar nazi of the FT86Club forums, I hearby decree that the seats referred to as Brides, shall be vocally referred to as EITHER "Brids" or "Breeds" within the car community, or "Brides" when speaking with non-car enthusiasts. However, they shall not be referred to as "Bridehs" or "Breads" (although they do cost a lot of dough, so maybe that last one is acceptable). Are we in agreement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by axss View Post
Curious are people getting new seats for weight? track day? or just looks?

I got my FR-S just yesterday and had to drive it for an hour on the highway. They were plenty comfortable.
Oh, sure, if you want to get back on topic. I got mine primarily for comfort, with better holding and lighter weight being very close secondary factors. The headrest on the stock seat bothered me, and the Stradia/ TRD seats aren't nearly as constrictive as most people make them out to be. I'm 5'8", 210 lbs, 35" waist, and it fits me perfectly. I'd have no problem taking a road trip in this seat.

Looks? Meh... The carbon-fiber back on mine keeps it from being hideous (and will match other carbon-fiber bits when I'm done), but having just one seat in the car looks a bit off, in my opinion. Especially with the tacky "Lo-Max" logo stitched in the top. Wish the standard Stradia II's came with just the Bride logo in red like the Reims edition in the OP's post. But, ya know... compromise, and all that.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #55
driver01

Drives: brz 13
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks for the info @TuxedoCartman , a few more questions if you dont mind. how does the seating position, height to be specific compare to the stock seats. i wonder because the stock seat at its lowest is pretty much as low as I will be willing to go, since I am not very tall. if the stradias are much lower than that, then I can not get them .
driver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #56
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Now you need to add a 4 point harness.