follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #281
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
I owned a Gen Coupe for a little over a year before I traded it in for my BRZ. Let me just say that I loved the Gen Coupe from the first time I laid my eyes on it! I stalked the Gen Coupe online for a year before I decided to purchase one. Nothing about that car says Hyundai...at least from the looks alone. Even till this day I still spot some very nice Gen Coupes on the road and will eyeball them.

Now let's take a look at the obvious. I'm currently driving a BRZ for a reason.

My Gen Coupe had nothing but issues...from unfixable rattles from day 1, to the AC not blowing cool air, to transmission issues, to the interior seat panels not fitting together tightly and feeling cheap and loose. Let's just say that every time I got out of my car I had to snap the panels of my driver seat back together. That's where the Hyundai quality starts to show.

Just Google "5th Gear GenCoupe" and you'll find a huge thread about people having issues with 5th gear grind. New Gen Coupe owners were having to have their transmissions replaced just after a few months of ownership! The car looks great I think from the outside, but own one for a while and you'll be reminded that you're driving a Hyundai, even if you rebadge it. lol

Sure, the BRZ has some issues of it's own, but the build quality is far superior to that of a Hyundai. The issues I've come across with my BRZ are fixable within a single trip to my dealership, as opposed to Hyundai where I got the standard response of, "Our technicians didn't find any issues."

At the very least...before you get into speed and power...you have to have a strong foundation. The Gen Coupe couldn't even get the basics right...so who cares how fast it goes.

More HP does not equal a better quality vehicle...and that's obviously what Hyundai has tried to sell people on. People see the HP and stats on paper and think they're buying into a quality vehicle, but give it a year or less and you'll either move to a better car like I did...or you'll try to defend your mistake in buying a Hyundai based on the HP figures.
Finally someone that points out the terrible quality of Kia/Hyundai vehicles. There is a reason they need to sell you on the 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty. It's because they can't sell them any other way.
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #282
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S-HawK View Post
No one here is being a jerk, except you asking previous owners to be banned because you don't agree with our opinions.
A shitty opinion nonetheless.
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #283
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
There is a reason they need to sell you on the 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty.
Yup, you should always be wary of the 100K warranties. Very often it means they just get more chances to turn you away at the service center. Usually just a marketing gimmick. It was really the only way Koreans could get people to take a chance on them rather than buying Japanese back when they were struggling for marketshare.

I once tried to fix a cup holder in a friends Kia, the thing actually crumbled in my hand and disintegrated. Couldn't believe my eyes. To my knowledge, it was NOT covered under warranty.

Kia isn't making a Stinger. Nissan isn't making the IDX/510. Forget about it. Toyota and Subaru should be getting more props on making the 86 when it's competitors ultimately give up on the idea of producing a direct competitor after they crunch the numbers. It's nice to have a car at this price point that isn't all about the bottom line. If it was, it wouldn't drive the way it does and they wouldn't have even made it.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boxer486 For This Useful Post:
Cliu91 (07-15-2014), ericmpena (07-15-2014), Frishkorn (07-15-2014), tahdizzle (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #284
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
In my opinion, the Gen Coupe guys love the twins.

If it were me and I was so disappointed I bought another car, I would not take a second look at the car or the forums about the car.

They can say "I like the community" or whatever, but its just like saying "I read Playboy for the articles."

We all know you are lying.

Just be honest. Many of the posts from the Gen coupe guys are so bi-polar.

One post they are praising it. "I loved this and nothing compares... etc" and then the next post "Its so slow and underpowered. Its not a sports car... etc".

You love your gen coupe .. supposedly. I love my twin ... definitely.

Go enjoy the gen coupe forums and don't frequent our forums.

I don't know what its like on the Gen coupe forums, but I don't go there and scream about how its bloated handles like a galapagos tortoise on Ice.

So why do you gen coupe guys want to come here and say "you guys are slower than pond watere in winter."?
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #285
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S-HawK View Post
No one here is being a jerk, except you asking previous owners to be banned because you don't agree with our opinions.
Alright so jerk is a strong word. Again though I don't understand why you are here (Hyundai throwing you some bucks?). I'm happy for you and your new car. But the door is over there, traitor.
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #286
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
You forgot about the three hookers in the back.
if only i had known about that package when i was car shopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post

If it were me and I was so disappointed I bought another car, I would not take a second look at the car or the forums about the car.

They can say "I like the community" or whatever, but its just like saying "I read Playboy for the articles."

One post they are praising it. "I loved this and nothing compares... etc" and then the next post "Its so slow and underpowered. Its not a sports car... etc".

I don't know what its like on the Gen coupe forums, but I don't go there and scream about how its bloated handles like a galapagos tortoise on Ice.

So why do you gen coupe guys want to come here and say "you guys are slower than pond watere in winter."?
can you show me an occasion where one of these gen coupe guys made a bipolar set of posts? you sound like a fanboy or at least myopic. if i lump all the frs people together then i could point out that some of the dumest shit ive ever heard on a forum has come up but i know better than to group a bunch of people together
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #287
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
When I purchased my Gen Coupe and then saw the FR-S release at nearly the same price...I gave myself the biggest face palm ever.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #288
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
I've driven my 370z on the Sebring track putting down the best times I've ever driven from 13' Mustang 5.0, a couple Golf Gti's, and my friends 13 BRZ. Plus a few others. The BRZ was THE MOST FUN IVE EVER HAD doing time attacks. It's so pinpoint, so happy, it URGES you more, more, more!! And so easily to rain in. Apart from a few high end Porsches I've driven there it's THE BEST handling, most fun car I've had the honor to drive. That being said, by no means was it fast ANYWHERE, and my '14 3.8GT is my car of choice for a long haul cruiser. Two completely different machines. Both merit kudos for it's purpose.
Quote:
My previous negative comment about the Twins not being a Sports Car is BS. It's the ESSENCE of a Sports Car. Just because you're not setting lap records doesn't define a Sports Car. I consider the Miata a Sports Car as well, one of the best in the business and it's slower than the 86. The Gen Coupe is NOT a Sports Car, it's a Grand Touring machine, and for the money, I beg you to find a better one for the money. I've tried. I couldn't.

Edit: the R-Spec 13'+ really tries to be a Sports Car. Maybe it is but from my first hand experience, the chassis, plus everything else, no matter what they put on it. Brembos, sport suspension, etc. it's just too much...mush. It's still a great car but for a "track" ready Sports Car, it needs a more rigid chassis, much better tires, brakes, etc. IMHO the best version of the Gen Coupe is the '13+ GT Version. It doesn't try to do anything it shouldn't. A moderately small, coupe, with lots of comfort, tech, great ride, LOADS of highway power and pretty good steering. Comparing that to an 86 is bonkers.
Quote:
And your plastic gutless wonder is a better option?

I could go on and on from this thread, But this is what I found in the last THREE pages.

You should read this thread.... @fatoni
Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #289
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I could go on and on from this thread, But this is what I found in the last THREE pages.

aside from calling his own statement bs i dont see the hypocrisy. the twins are a slow car. they are fun though. i think calling the gc a tourer and faster than the twins is accurate. i kinda get where youre coming from but i think its a bit much. i am very much a person who praises my brz but understands that it is slow.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #290
PHLonomenal

Drives: Whiteout 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
aside from calling his own statement bs i dont see the hypocrisy. the twins are a slow car. they are fun though. i think calling the gc a tourer and faster than the twins is accurate. i kinda get where youre coming from but i think its a bit much. i am very much a person who praises my brz but understands that it is slow.

Agreed. The twins woulda been pretty fast...in 1978 but that's not exactly the point of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #291
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post

You don't see any Bi-polar dysfunctional disorder in those posts?

Those are chronological.

Ending in him calling a twin a plastic gutless wonder.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #292
R.S-HawK
Banned

Drives: '13 Gen Coupe 3.8 R
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

You can believe whatever you want to believe.

The matter of the fact remains, as I've said multiple times, that I love each car equally for what they do very well.

I would gladly own both if given the chance.
R.S-HawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #293
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

"Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
And your plastic gutless wonder is a better option? "

The bi-polar in this is simply a rebuttal to the initial childish remark by a member stating the GC is nothing but a fat bloated pig of car. Other than my one line stabs Ive done nothing but praise the Twins for what they are.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #294
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
"Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
And your plastic gutless wonder is a better option? "

The bi-polar in this is simply a rebuttal to the initial childish remark by a member stating the GC is nothing but a fat bloated pig of car. Other than my one line stabs Ive done nothing but praise the Twins for what they are.

A gutless wonder? lol

Tags
fat pig, galapagos tortoise, korean pony car, powered by kimchi