follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #15
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
You're pumping CO and NOx into the air around your own children and neighbors and I AM THE ONE WHO'S NOT HELPING?

In the very first paragraph of your blog it says:

"So, not wanting to rise the dead or piss off the entire neighborhood I decided the rest of the exhaust should be resonated and as quiet as possible."

So, you start the car and presumably drive it in your street, therefore street car.

Even rally cars run catalytic converters and they find they do not restrict flow at all.

Honestly, people without running cat-less should take some responsibility like grown fucking adults.

They also tend to be the ones asking the same stupid fucking questions over and over instead of researching or simply searching first.

Once again, grow up.

Grow up? Yes, I drive my car on the street to the track. Sorry, I'll grow up.
I don't want an insanely loud car. Sorry, I'll grow up.

Again, you're not helping. Thanks to those who are and are not "trolling" like this gentleman.
Maybe I'll grow up on my 38th birthday? Nah.

If you're so worried about this go buy a Prius and switch forums.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #16
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Garage
Sorry for stooping to that gentlemans level.

Much of this info has been helpful so far, thank you all!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
Ken@PTuning

Drives: '92 Nissan 240sx KA-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Ken@PTuning
The car will trim itself while it's in closed loop. The problem is that it's not in closed loop under WOT conditions. We see the AFR plummet to 10:1 which is why we recommend a tune with the header. In addition, because it's equal length, the individual cylinder trims are zero'd out.
Ken@PTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
You're pumping CO and NOx into the air around your own children and neighbors and I AM THE ONE WHO'S NOT HELPING?

"So, not wanting to rise the dead or piss off the entire neighborhood I decided the rest of the exhaust should be resonated and as quiet as possible."

So, you start the car and presumably drive it in your street, therefore street car.

Even rally cars run catalytic converters and they find they do not restrict flow at all.

Honestly, people without running cat-less should take some responsibility like grown fucking adults.

They also tend to be the ones asking the same stupid fucking questions over and over instead of researching or simply searching first.

Once again, grow up.
I think you need a Xanax.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (07-15-2015), JDKane527 (07-14-2015), NWFRS (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #19
erbaker67

Drives: 2015 FRS RS1, 93 Supra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe I am naive or new to this and dont have the knowledge, but if I am getting a UEL (Revworks), does that require a tune. I dont mind getting a tune at all just wasnt sure if it was a necessity. I know you guys have mentioned it but other have said its not necessary. I dont drive the car hard and wont be going to the track just wanted the subie rumble.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #20
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbaker67 View Post
Maybe I am naive or new to this and dont have the knowledge, but if I am getting a UEL (Revworks), does that require a tune. I dont mind getting a tune at all just wasnt sure if it was a necessity. I know you guys have mentioned it but other have said its not necessary. I dont drive the car hard and wont be going to the track just wanted the subie rumble.
you dont NEED a tune, however its best to get a tune. Just get yourself an OFT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-15-2015), erbaker67 (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #21
erbaker67

Drives: 2015 FRS RS1, 93 Supra
Garage
Thanks Shady. I bought an ecutek cable and dongle, just need the license. I appreciate the fast reply. Will get it tuned after.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #22
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
I believe I am the one that said to go this route.

I have the exhaust same exhaust setup you have, except add in a motiv over-pipe. Header and over-pipe were ceramic coated.

I put 2k miles on the car WITHOUT a tune. Also had 1 HPDE track day event.

NEVER have I see a CEL with these headers. Ptuning designed them not to throw a code, and they don't. End of story.

I would get a tune ASAP though...you'd be amazed on how the car feels afterwords.

And no cat is fine for a street car. Sorry it busts some tree-huggers nuts. I have 0 (ZERO) problems running catless with the setup you purchased. It sounds fantastic. As long as your state doesn't do sniffer tests you are fine. GA requires a "visual" inspection but I'd love to see a tech try and see under this car with all the trays

Sounds like Wayno needs to go live in commie-fornia with all the other environmentalists

cough up the $$$ and get a real tuning solution...ectutek is the only way to go
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s30series For This Useful Post:
Ken@PTuning (07-14-2015), kosoku (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
Shady195

I have 0 cats

I also run e85

I'm all eco friendly and shit.

Plus, if you think Catalytic converters on cars are going to be what saves the planet, its a small dent in a bigger problem with deforestation and plants around the world without the same pollution constraints as here in america.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #24
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
While I don't agree with his approach, I do agree with his sentiment. CO and NOx are very bad for LOCAL health. This isn't tree hugger "save the planet" crap, this is local.

Not that anyone cares, but remaining willfully ignorant of what you're doing is far worse, so give these a read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide#Toxicity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx#Environmental_effects
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
MaximeT (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #25
MaximeT

Drives: GT86-ACE-JRZ-RPF1-Essex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
While I don't agree with his approach, I do agree with his sentiment. CO and NOx are very bad for LOCAL health. This isn't tree hugger "save the planet" crap, this is local.

Not that anyone cares, but remaining willfully ignorant of what you're doing is far worse, so give these a read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide#Toxicity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx#Environmental_effects
Thank you, best forum post ever.
Running catless, you'll kill people, not the planet. Especially the guy behind you on track.
The worst part of emission are HC. The one you smell, the one that give cancer. It's very effective at giving cancer BTW.

CO are no problem as long as you stay under the limit (you'll die right away over the limit). But they're no chance to kill someone as you're the only catless car around.

You'll make mostly zero NOx without cats on a gasoline engine because AFR is neutral or rich (to make work the cat you just deleted)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #26
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeT View Post
Thank you, best forum post ever.
Running catless, you'll kill people, not the planet. Especially the guy behind you on track.
The worst part of emission are HC. The one you smell, the one that give cancer. It's very effective at giving cancer BTW.

CO are no problem as long as you stay under the limit (you'll die right away over the limit). But they're no chance to kill someone as you're the only catless car around.

You'll make mostly zero NOx without cats on a gasoline engine because AFR is neutral or rich (to make work the cat you just deleted)

Yeah....look at all the professional race car drivers that are droping dead due to driving behind all the cars that don't have cats...

CONSPIRACY! THAT'S HOW DALE EARNHARDT REALLY DIED!

yawn. go hug a tree
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s30series For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (07-15-2015), RobertPaulson (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #27
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

Once again, grow up.
Your other car must be a Prius...
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #28
cdq85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Quote:

Once again, grow up.

hahaha at this guy
cdq85 is offline   Reply With Quote