follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #23899
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
My ass hates me after all the wings and pizza I consumed last night. FML.
Could be worse, could be Taco Bell.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #23900
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
Could be worse, could be Taco Bell.

I think he meant he met a bunch of sailors at a pizza parlor last night actually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Jayde (06-03-2014), VacantSky (08-17-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #23901
Pedrap858

Drives: Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Its a relatively common discipline. Its still a technical degree, but more around the application of technology to solve business needs than deep dive into the bits and bytes of it all. It provides training for applying Computer Science in the "real world" rather than working for a tech company.

I have an MS in Information Systems. In that I took courses on database engines, networking, application architecture etc. There was an option to do programming courses, but I was a programmer at the time.

There is some business courses associated with it as well, so there is that part of it.
Were you able to find a good, well paying job, with your Information Systems degree?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #23902
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrap858 View Post
Were you able to find a good, well paying job, with your Information Systems degree?
I would say so, yes, but I was already in the work force, doing IT work by the time I got the degree. I got the Masters degree in MIS because my undergraduate degree was not computer related, and I felt I needed a piece of paper to make sure I progressed into management. It has paid off in the long run, and was a checkbox for my current Director position.

In my experience, a lot of corporate based IT higher level management positions (Director and above) require either an MBA or a MIS degree, particularly if they are hiring from outside. A computer science degree will work too in some cases, but I've seen people with an MIS degree selected over a CS degree because of the better understanding of how to apply technology to business.

It really all depends on what you want to do long term. For the most part the paper only matters the most for your first or maybe second job. After you pass about 5 years, its your experience that matters most, although the degree may be a checkbox item.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #23903
Pedrap858

Quote:
I would say so, yes, but I was already in the work force, doing IT work by the time I got the degree. I got the Masters degree in MIS because my undergraduate degree was not computer related, and I felt I needed a piece of paper to make sure I progressed into management. It has paid off in the long run, and was a checkbox for my current Director position.

In my experience, a lot of corporate based IT higher level management positions (Director and above) require either an MBA or a MIS degree, particularly if they are hiring from outside. A computer science degree will work too in some cases, but I've seen people with an MIS degree selected over a CS degree because of the better understanding of how to apply technology to business.

It really all depends on what you want to do long term. For the most part the paper only matters the most for your first or maybe second job. After you pass about 5 years, its your experience that matters most, although the degree may be a checkbox item.
How is it like working in the IT department/field? Do you enjoy what you do? Is there opportunity to move up in the IT field?
My bad if I'm bugging you, and the other members with all these career questions
Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #23904
broodchaos

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
[ATTACH]80910

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to broodchaos For This Useful Post:
calis5nest (06-12-2014), Giccin (06-11-2014), Pistol (06-10-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #23905
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
How is it like working in the IT department/field? Do you enjoy what you do? Is there opportunity to move up in the IT field?
My bad if I'm bugging you, and the other members with all these career questions
I've enjoyed it. Sure I would have rather have had Chuck Yeager's or Jeremy Clarkson's job, but I guess I didn't write that in the field "Job Applied For".

IT is like any other field, if you apply yourself, work while you are at work, and keep yourself educated, you will do well. It's a field that isn't going away, but does change constantly and you have to keep up. The important thing is to find something you are willing to apply yourself. Don't do any job solely for the money are the advancement opportunity. You need to pick something where you'll be the best you can be, and you'll make it.

As Dr MLK said (and my random thought for the day):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King
"Even if it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, go out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures! Sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, "Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well!" If you can't be a pine on the top of a hill, be a scrub in the valley, but be the best little scrub on the side of the rill. Be a bush if you can't be a tree. If you can't be a highway, just be a trail. If you can't be a sun, be a star. It isn't by size that you win or you fail; be the best at whatever that you are!"
oh and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Most Interesting Man
Stay Thirsty My Friend

Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #23906
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
old co work snapped today..high blood pressure or something.. he brings his issues from outside and bringing them in work... snitched on all of us that in the morning before assistant that we just chill before he comes in.. dude has major issues plus work is not even busy.. he even didnt have anything to do for like a 2 months once.. he was yelling and saying bad words in filipino...

trying to let it slide due to hes a old guy but dam everyone is pissed at him..i just ignore all the time.. he needs to go to old folks home or something

stress at work is not good karma will get him again.. his van already got dented pretty good but i think that was his anger high blood issues.. one time i was in front of him at a stop light and he just went around me all quick from a dead stop and cut the people off in front of me. i just wait like 2 mins in the parking lot now when i get off from work... i dont feel safe when hes around me driving
Old 06-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #23907
Pedrap858

Quote:
I've enjoyed it. Sure I would have rather have had Chuck Yeager's or Jeremy Clarkson's job, but I guess I didn't write that in the field "Job Applied For".

IT is like any other field, if you apply yourself, work while you are at work, and keep yourself educated, you will do well. It's a field that isn't going away, but does change constantly and you have to keep up. The important thing is to find something you are willing to apply yourself. Don't do any job solely for the money are the advancement opportunity. You need to pick something where you'll be the best you can be, and you'll make it.

As Dr MLK said (and my random thought for the day):

oh and

That MLK quote is interesting.... All in all, I just want to have a career where I can make a sufficient amount of money for myself and my family, and simpily be happy. I just hope a degree in Bus. Admin. Emphasis in Info Systems. will help me out in the future. Any tips or certian subjects I should look into while pursuing this degree??
Once again, thanks for replying to my questions
Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #23908
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
...Any tips or certian subjects I should look into while pursuing this degree??
Once again, thanks for replying to my questions
If it's offered, Project Management certification and/or Six Sigma certification. If you don't like doing project management, then look at classes around doing business analysis.

Also, if its offered look at doing an internship for real world experience.

All that will help you get your first position, after that, the classwork really doesn't matter as much as your work history in my experience.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:04 AM   #23909
trd_kid
13anned.

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hell yea spurs
The Following User Says Thank You to trd_kid For This Useful Post:
Pistol (06-10-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #23910
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Check my credit today. Within the past 2 months I have completely, paid off 3 loans (33k student, 11k tools, and 2k credit card (revolving it at only $150.00 now.)

Been trying to improve my score as a house is in the future. The only 'faults' on my score is "length of credit history"... 15years and a handful of recent credit checks still showing up from last year when I was shopping for a car.

Score was only at 672... same score I had in January of this year when I had 'oodles of debt. That was the highest out of the 3 company scores.

/Rant
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
Giccin (06-11-2014), M-17 (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #23911
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Check my credit today. Within the past 2 months I have completely, paid off 3 loans (33k student, 11k tools, and 2k credit card (revolving it at only $150.00 now.)

Been trying to improve my score as a house is in the future. The only 'faults' on my score is "length of credit history"... 15years and a handful of recent credit checks still showing up from last year when I was shopping for a car.

Score was only at 672... same score I had in January of this year when I had 'oodles of debt. That was the highest out of the 3 company scores.

/Rant
Not surprised. Being responsible and paying off debt and closing accounts will make your score go down over time, because it is all about how well you carry debt, not how responsible you are.

If you pay off all your debt, and close the accounts, your FICO score will go to zero in about 12 months.

If your goal is to purchase a house, you may be better served by finding a mortgage broker who does manual underwriting if your score is an issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Giccin (06-11-2014), M-17 (06-09-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #23912
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Wait lol, OrbitalEllipses got banned again? what was it this time
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (06-11-2014), Giccin (06-11-2014), M-17 (06-10-2014)
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?