follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Is the FR-S
Yes 281 90.94%
No 28 9.06%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #43
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post

This is not about RWD, fun aspect, or anything like that. This is purely about what you get in/with the car.

I am being completely serious, and would like to know what you guys and girls think.

Kev
I am being completely serious in saying that, if you take 'fun' out of the equation, then you can never justify buying toys because they don't do anything at all.

This toy happens to be an excellent commuter vehicle, long distance traveler, gets respectable if not incredible fuel economy, has an insane amount of cargo space for what it is (and if you don't believe me, go load an MX5 trunk some time!) comfortable seats, excellent steering feel and unbelievable driving dynamics.

If you want more utility, get a minivan. If you want more fuel economy, get a Leaf. And if you want to have fun (which is, without a doubt, what this car is for) then buy the FR-S.

It's worth a LOT more than what we have to pay for it - ask people in any other country, they'll tell you.

Edit:

It just occurred to me that, by the way your question is phrased, if the dealership gave me a toaster or similar small appliance with my purchase that would actually increase the value of the purchase itself.

That's ridiculous.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #44
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I know this topic has been discussed as a result of other topics, but I have not really seen it on its own. Please read everything before commenting or voting.

We got a quote for ~$27,000 for a MT Pearl White FR-S with BeSpoke and stock spoiler. (I honestly didn't even know there was a spoiler option.) I don't want the BeSpoke, but this was for a car that was on the way so why not ask.

Either way, do you really think this car is worth the $26K-$28K?

What do you get? A boxer engine... wheels, which all cars come with... The interior is nice, but the dash looks cheap. Take the knobs for example. They scream cheap! You're not paying for excess power (because there isn't any ). What are you really getting?

This is not about RWD, fun aspect, or anything like that. This is purely about what you get in/with the car.

I am being completely serious, and would like to know what you guys and girls think.

Kev
I did not vote, and I only wanted to provide my response to your opening post.

In your situation, I personally would most likely not have considered the one that your dealer is getting in. This is probably not the most clear answer, but that's because I had a choice when I placed my order at the dealership of my choosing, and I was fortunate enough to have to only wait about 3 weeks for my FR-S to arrive. The reason why I feel my order and pricing worked out better for me was because I had the opportunity to order it exactly as I wanted it... Without the extra options which you mentioned of. In return, I had to pay the price of $24,985... Which is the price that I wanted to be at with this car.

With that being said, if you're excluding the sports car driving experience of this car from the equation, then no, this car may not be worth its price tag... But boy, you'd be so incorrect if you're going to even try to ignore the essence of this car... This car is ultimately meant to stir the driver's emotions... And that, my friend, is a priceless factor. I can explain this in many words to a person, but I don't have to explain it to the enthusiast.

Good luck with your decision and to whichever way your parents help direct you in.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #45
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Having owned many cars .... I could care less about the interior. Want a nice interior .... go buy an Audi and pay the premium. You buy this car because it puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. 25-27K is cheap relatively speaking.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #46
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Your situation is kind of like, "I'm thinking of buying a Prius, but don't care about fuel economy at all because my company pays for the gas."
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
SubieNate (11-27-2012), Turdinator (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #47
ipothas

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I've had the BRZ for 10 days now and can tell you that its worth more than what I paid
Nothing like someone who owns a car for less than a month to give you a real in depth analysis of it's worth
haha im just messing around.

It's amazing. 2+ months of ownership here, still no regrets on my whiteout fr-s.

2013 Whiteout 6MT
ipothas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #48
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Depends on the person. For me, hell yes.

Also, you're paying for a car with a superb engineering. Sorry the industrial designers didn't go all crazy on your A/C knobs or dash trim. I don't notice when whipping around turns with the windows down.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #49
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
So let me get this straight, you are asking if the car is worth the price but removing all the qualities that make the car special from the equation?

Then for you the answer is no.
jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #50
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
i dont think it is worth the price but its just about the only production car that offers what it does right out of the box.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #51
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewbj View Post
So let me get this straight, you are asking if the car is worth the price but removing all the qualities that make the car special from the equation?

Then for you the answer is no.
its funny how easy it is to see for this argument but it goes undetected when talking about fwd or more powerful cars.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #52
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
If you remove all the cars obvious attributes as the OP suggests, then we must see what's "left" and see if it is still a logical (good) value.

So what's left? Great looks, nice low stance, good fuel economy, Subaru mechanical quality and longterm reliability.

So, based on the looks and the low stance what competes with it? Used MX5? I don't like the looks. Used German/japanese roadster, expect huge repair bills.

It's worth the money if the form factor of the package and new are important to you. Does that answer your question?
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #53
axss

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine 6SPD MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
If you remove all the cars obvious attributes as the OP suggests, then we must see what's "left" and see if it is still a logical (good) value.

So what's left? Great looks, nice low stance, good fuel economy, Subaru mechanical quality and longterm reliability.

So, based on the looks and the low stance what competes with it? Used MX5? I don't like the looks. Used German/japanese roadster, expect huge repair bills.

It's worth the money if the form factor of the package and new are important to you. Does that answer your question?
Also dont forget the Blue Tooth capabilities which were a very nice luxury I did not have in my 2009 Civic Si which came with all the bells and whistles. As far as stock value goes... I got everything I wanted in this car except for winter tires.
axss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #54
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to and what you need out of a car.

Part of pricing any consumable is evaluating the competitors' pricing. I was shopping for a commuter car (something with all around good scores in each category) and was having a hard time deciding on one because I hate FWD and didn't want to be bored to death, for a few extra thousand I could be in an extra level sports car with RWD and more HP than the cars I had been considering, so I was sold...to me it's worth it.

If you only care about mpg then you might not find it worth it...if you only care about room for your kids then it won't be worth it...if you only want a minimal line time then it won't be worth it...
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #55
nedmundo

Drives: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
I know you said it's not about RWD or the driving experience, but the driving experience is the only thing that makes the car worth it and rwd is the reason for the driving experience and the price.

In order to make a low-volume chassis viable at a low cost, these cars don't have many comfort and convenience features that other cars at and below its price would include.

It's essentially a trade. You can have a great driving experience or features, but getting both will cost another $20k over the price of the FRS.

-Justin
Excellent post. I agree, except I'd clarify that you can't find a similar great driving experience unless you spend loads more, for something else with low weight and RWD. You can have a great driving experience though. For example, the Focus ST is a fantastic driver's car for under $30k, and would probably be a better option for most people. It has more tech, creature comforts, etc. I don't think it's as fun to drive as the twins, but it's awesome in its own right. The Mustang GT is great too, but obviously very different, and only about $10k more.
nedmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #56
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
absolutely !!!!
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote