follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #15
doggieboy09
Sènior Member

Drives: '22 BRZ |'13 BRZ SSC (formerly)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool videos! It's in my bucket list to drive on the ring in Germany. I'm in the state though and it would be more difficult for me to get there and the even drive on a 86 overseas.
doggieboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:13 AM   #16
Iceman

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggieboy09 View Post
Cool videos! It's in my bucket list to drive on the ring in Germany. I'm in the state though and it would be more difficult for me to get there and the even drive on a 86 overseas.
Thanks!

It is something you must do, believe me, if you have any chances of going, do it. And you can rent a GT86 there!

I'm going back this year. Maybe twice. It's addictive.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:27 AM   #17
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Do wheels require any specific certification (TUV, VIA, etc) to pass ITV in Spain? What about coil-overs or BBK? Pondering if it's worth the hassle of shipping my FR-S from the States, or parting it out and buying a new one over there, then slowly certify and put the parts back on ....
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
Do wheels require any specific certification (TUV, VIA, etc) to pass ITV in Spain? What about coil-overs or BBK? Pondering if it's worth the hassle of shipping my FR-S from the States, or parting it out and buying a new one over there, then slowly certify and put the parts back on ....
As long as your tires don't differ more than 3% from the stock size, you'll be fine. And if you have aggressive offset and a much wider track, there's a limit which i don't remember right now, but in most cases it's nothing to worry. Coilovers need homologation, brakes should as well...And that means you have to pay for it, and the whole system is a huge PITA.

Some stuff can pass unnoticed, though.

However If you bring a car from the states, you can get almost anything legal. It's a ridiculous system, like i said...

When are you coming? @tato.valverde wants to bring his FR-S as well and he might be able to give you more details about the process
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman For This Useful Post:
juliog (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #19
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Been in the states for 4 years, there's a chance I might go back to Spain in 1-2 years from now. I figure I could try to leave all mods in, and try to get them certified/homologated during technical inspection at arrival..

I would certainly have to revert to stock exhaust. But I'd like to bring coil-overs, BBK and wheels with me. Cusco LSD, AC removal and a few more bits would probably go under the radar. Unsure about wing and vented hood however.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
n8dog11914

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Thanks!

It is something you must do, believe me, if you have any chances of going, do it. And you can rent a GT86 there!

I also want to say that you are such a great driver! I enjoyed watching your videos of your track days. The 'Ring is also on my to do list. I travel frequently to northern Germany for work so sometime and somehow I'm going to make it over there and rent an 86. Prices are quite high though for the rental!

I also enjoy tracking the BRZ here in the States. The platform is perfect for enjoying the track and slaying some of the higher HP cars as you know!
n8dog11914 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n8dog11914 For This Useful Post:
Iceman (01-20-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #21
doggieboy09
Sènior Member

Drives: '22 BRZ |'13 BRZ SSC (formerly)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Thanks!

Yeah I was talking about with some friends of mine and one that's going this year. I know there was one place that rents out this prepped Suzuki but I would be more interested in renting out a real GT86 if the price was comparable.
doggieboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #22
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Been in the states for 4 years, there's a chance I might go back to Spain in 1-2 years from now. I figure I could try to leave all mods in, and try to get them certified/homologated during technical inspection at arrival..

I would certainly have to revert to stock exhaust. But I'd like to bring coil-overs, BBK and wheels with me. Cusco LSD, AC removal and a few more bits would probably go under the radar. Unsure about wing and vented hood however.
If you do the whole "cambio de residencia" paperwork, you can have anything legalized as long as you meet general standards, like emissions (E5), lighting (change the front blinkers and add a rear foglight), dimensions... but you can definitely have coilovers, brakes, anything that meet european standards, and it'll all be legalized at the same time when importing the car
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tato.valverde For This Useful Post:
juliog (01-17-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #23
Iceman

Quote:

I look forward to it, but 1-2 years is time enough for regulations to change...for the worst
Keep us posted and let me know when the time comes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dog11914 View Post
I also want to say that you are such a great driver! I enjoyed watching your videos of your track days. The 'Ring is also on my to do list. I travel frequently to northern Germany for work so sometime and somehow I'm going to make it over there and rent an 86. Prices are quite high though for the rental!

I also enjoy tracking the BRZ here in the States. The platform is perfect for enjoying the track and slaying some of the higher HP cars as you know!
Thank you! I'm always trying to improve.

GT86 rentals are expensive but totally worth it IMO. I also think the cheaper and more popular Suzuki Swift's are a great option as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggieboy09 View Post
Yeah I was talking about with some friends of mine and one that's going this year. I know there was one place that rents out this prepped Suzuki but I would be more interested in renting out a real GT86 if the price was comparable.

Like mentioned before, the GT86/BRZ are more expensive than the Suzukis(which are a great beginners car and quite capable in the right hands!) but it's totally up to your preferences and how much you want to spend.

My advice would be to take it easy for the first couple of laps and gradually increase the speed. And Suzukis are great for that.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #24
Iceman

So, yesterday was her 1st anniversary so i thought she deserved some special treats. Engine oil/filter and gearbox oil change, as well as new brake pads as the front ones were about to die after 35.000km and 5 trackdays:

I also got some fancy rubber, but i won't have them fitted until next thursday. I was trying to keep the Super Sport's for a little longer but i just couldn't wait to try these!

We'll see how it goes on track on March 6th, i'm really excited about it. I ordered the oem front crash/camber bolts to get some negative camber but i'm still not sure when will i put them on.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #25
Iceman

Time for an update!

Got the PSC2's, pads and OEM camber bolts installed a couple of weeks ago and had the first trackday of the year.

So far i managed to shave 2.4 seconds off my best lap with SuperSports and stock pads, quite a difference considering track conditions were a bit worse/slower.
I was very surprised by the Cup 2's progressive reactions, even better than PSS'! And you can still drift in a ver easy and predictable way... However they won't last as long!

Couple of photos from that day:

And of course the video...
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ut6hBrHugE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ut6hBrHugE[/ame]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iceman For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (08-13-2016), brzest (03-18-2016), Mr.Impreza (04-01-2016), Pat.Thornton (08-13-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #26
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Your build is beautiful! Love the way your taking things with this car!

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
Iceman (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #27
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Your build is beautiful! Love the way your taking things with this car!
Thank you! Glad you like it. I am taking it very slow as i usually prefer to spend pretty much all my car-budget into tires and trackdays, the wheels were the only thing i was really eager to get as they made a huuuuge difference on the way it looks IMO, so i don't really need to do much more to it(although i have a pretty big wishlist!)

I leave here another video from the last weekend, same track(as i live 45 minutes away and it's the only decent track for us living in the North of Spain), but this time with rain and back on stock wheels and Primacy's! No grip at all, almost impossible to make a clean lap...but great fun.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8F-n_f_JeU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8F-n_f_JeU[/ame]

I'm going back tomorrow with the same setup, as i am saving my Cup 2's for the Circuit of Jarama on April 23rd, going all in hoping to get way faster than last year when i went completely stock(see videos on post #2).

Then i'll get some fresh PSS's and give it some rest before going back to the Nürburgring in August 6-11th...And i'm hoping to get a Milltek exhaust soon. That's it for 2016
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (04-01-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #28
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Updates!!
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Iceman (08-13-2016)